#106 Trickshot239

Trickshot239

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3560 posts
  • LocationA bit South of North of here

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:23 AM

Yeah, found that out next day after staying the night at Cronin's pub. Anyway, a lovely part of the world and I'll be back for sure.

#107 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20012 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:51 PM

Played Lang Lang on the Anzac Day long weekend, and while someone on here (Chanceman) described it as the "Augusta of Gippsland", I wouldn't quite go that far. Others have called it "tight", with some "quirky" holes, and I'd agree with that assessment. Local knowledge would come in handy on a couple of the sharp doglegs. It is in great condition at the moment though, and for those who enjoy their golfing walks among the gums, it is a wonderful country course, with some well thought out challenging holes and a relaxed bar for a half way refresher.

#108 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37976 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:16 AM

Was that your first trip down there GPJ?? Worth the trip down the south gippy. I've played there quite a few times and always enjoy it.............even though I have trouble playing to my handicap on most occassions.

#109 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20012 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:54 PM

Yeah it was the first Francie, wanted somewhere reasonably quiet on the long weekend, and the old country type courses offer that. Missed that bastard of a turnoff to it and had to double back a km or two, but well worth the trip. We were actually tossing up Lang Lang or Trafalgar, as that has had some good wraps on here, perhaps next time it will be Traf .........

#110 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37976 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:48 AM

Ok. Let me know if you go to Traf. I think the good raps on Traf have probably come from me but it has been rated by a couple of ISGers, a couple of years ago, in the course directory here.

#111 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3169 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:36 AM

Port Fairy

#112 dave_1_

dave_1_

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 7733 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

Just came back from Drouin......in Victoria, bout an hour out of melbourne...its a 27 hole layout..... 25 bucks for 18 holes.......nice course and nice people..... worth a look

#113 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24048 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:45 AM

you in town dave?

#114 LeftyHoges

LeftyHoges

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:34 AM

This thread is my *****:

Narooma – windswept links with signature holes going out, wooded forest of enchantment coming in.

Lakes Entrance – Linksy number with sandy hazards the length of a 100 mile beach.

Yarrawonga – 45 holes of golfing goodness – River Course the pick. Afterwards drink beer in the long dusk as kangaroos root.

Warnambool – shades of St.Michael’s in Sydney with ti-tree and wind. Rolling up and down, trees bent flat by the prevailing southerly.

Mt.Gambier – massive gums, red-sand bunkers, cold beer.

Albany – shades of St.Michael’s in Sydney with ti-tree and wind. Bloke there called Scruffo was a journo who covered the 56 Olympics, possibly, but he’s a good old boy.

Tennant Creek – like playing on Mars, the Red Planet. Desert track with scorpions but a shape that wouldn’t look out of place in your metropolitan layout, like playing golf in Mad Max II.

Mt.Isa – surrounded by open cut mines it hosts a Country Classic each year in which XXXX is consumed like insulin for diabetics.

Tallwoods at Forster Tuncurry – top views from the top tees, like playing golf in the Truman Show. But a lot to like. Old mate Bill “The Vision” Bosley plays out of there and he gave me four dozen of his Vision golf balls and I shot 3-over par at Tallwoods using them until I came to the 17th when I put two of them out of bounds and shot a septuplet bogey 11. Did find the balls though.

But the winner is: Bridport in Tasmania. Indeed Tasmania job lot, given all the towns are small but the golf courses hanging off them are choice like the magazine.

Except I don't think any of your courses actually pass any of the criteria though. I know for a fact that Warrnambool and Mt Gambier both have 30,000 + people, NUMEROUS pubs (trust me, I've thrown up in them all) and you would be mown down trying to cross the main street without looking.

#115 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:38 AM

Except I don’t think any of your courses actually pass any of the criteria though. I know for a fact that Warrnambool and Mt Gambier both have 30,000 + people, NUMEROUS pubs (trust me, I’ve thrown up in them all) and you would be mown down trying to cross the main street without looking.
And the fact that Warrnambool is just terrible.

#116 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:44 AM

Except I don’t think any of your courses actually pass any of the criteria though. I know for a fact that Warrnambool and Mt Gambier both have 30,000 + people, NUMEROUS pubs (trust me, I’ve thrown up in them all) and you would be mown down trying to cross the main street without looking.

And the fact that Warrnambool is just terrible.

Whats terrible about Warrnambool? Both the town and golf club are great IMO.

#117 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:51 AM

And Port Fairy is a cracker. Has at least 2 pubs though not sure if tere are 3...

#118 weekendbasher

weekendbasher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:44 AM

port fairy has at least 3 pubs warrny and the mount arent even close to the criteria

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users