117 replies to this topic

#91 burkey08

burkey08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:20 AM

Alot of you guys are southerns but here are a few in queensland. My home club of charters towers is a tuff course, we have had good rain the last few weeks and the greens and fairways are a treat. Also gracemere just on the outskirks of Rockhampton, not a bad challenge.

#92 BigYin

BigYin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:10 PM

Guru, you mentioned Barwon Heads, which I also did think of, but the traffic down there is very busy especially in the summer, so I didn't suggest it for that reason, but 3 great courses there. Some other mentions would be Point Lonsdale, Buninyong, Queenscliff, Portarlington and Curlewis.

#93 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11908 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:36 PM

Alot of you guys are southerns but here are a few in queensland.

My home club of charters towers is a tuff course, we have had good rain the last few weeks and the greens and fairways are a treat.

Also gracemere just on the outskirks of Rockhampton, not a bad challenge.

The Rex Hunt golf shot………….You’ve hooked it now kiss it goodbye.

Another North Queenslander! I must admit to never playing the Towers. Keep thinking I should come out & play there one day but never seem to get round to it.

#94 Matt99

Matt99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1009 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:36 PM

This thread is my *****: Narooma - windswept links with signature holes going out, wooded forest of enchantment coming in. Lakes Entrance - Linksy number with sandy hazards the length of a 100 mile beach. Yarrawonga - 45 holes of golfing goodness - River Course the pick. Afterwards drink beer in the long dusk as kangaroos root. Warnambool - shades of St.Michael's in Sydney with ti-tree and wind. Rolling up and down, trees bent flat by the prevailing southerly. Mt.Gambier - massive gums, red-sand bunkers, cold beer. Albany - shades of St.Michael's in Sydney with ti-tree and wind. Bloke there called Scruffo was a journo who covered the 56 Olympics, possibly, but he's a good old boy. Tennant Creek - like playing on Mars, the Red Planet. Desert track with scorpions but a shape that wouldn't look out of place in your metropolitan layout, like playing golf in Mad Max II. Mt.Isa - surrounded by open cut mines it hosts a Country Classic each year in which XXXX is consumed like insulin for diabetics. Tallwoods at Forster Tuncurry - top views from the top tees, like playing golf in the Truman Show. But a lot to like. Old mate Bill "The Vision" Bosley plays out of there and he gave me four dozen of his Vision golf balls and I shot 3-over par at Tallwoods using them until I came to the 17th when I put two of them out of bounds and shot a septuplet bogey 11. Did find the balls though. But the winner is: Bridport in Tasmania. Indeed Tasmania job lot, given all the towns are small but the golf courses hanging off them are choice like the magazine.

#95 BigYin

BigYin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:33 AM

Matt99, I have not played Tallwoods but had a look at it a few years ago and it is a beautiful track. I also think Tuncurry GC is a fantastic course and extremely cheap also.

#96 sticksy23

sticksy23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 05:37 AM

Portland, NSW Honesty box and sand greens

#97 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:36 AM

Yes, Leongatha GC is pretty good. Looks like they don't have water prob as the greens and fairways are in good conditions. Not as good as Kew but I believe better than LaTrobe. Leongatha just need to add water to their ball cleaners and should make sure the 100 metres and 150 metres dist. markers to the greens, are all there. Just to help visitors with dist information and help speed up play. A couple of holes, the red tees (ladies) were in the wrong positions (in the mens). Playing off white tees (back) it is quite long. I hope someone here can pass these observations to the management. cheers

#98 NoLuck

NoLuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:57 AM

Thinking of joining Leongatha Golf and have played Lang Lang but not play Leongatha. That’s the reason.

ellimb

Hey mate, come and have a hit at Woorayl before you join Leongatha. We are a friendly bunch of blokes and the beer is cold!

#99 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:02 AM

So NoLuck Do you play 9 holes twice ? What's the green fee like ? I asume you are saying that Woorayl is a better course ?

#100 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:02 AM

Haven't played there for many years but allways liked Forbes Golf Club. Was allways in pretty god condition, had a nice variety of holes. Only real weakness was a lack of bunkers. They had a solitary bunker on the 9th hole.

#101 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9876 posts
  • LocationAs Above

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:42 AM

Bermagui is very good course for a small town , and a challenge too

Bermagui get a vote from me as well. Some really good holes. Also enjoyed playing at Tumut. Only played there once purely by chance when I was heading over to Adaminiby to go fishing. Just a great little course.

#102 Trickshot239

Trickshot239

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3560 posts
  • LocationA bit South of North of here

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:55 AM

Just played Gerringong, NSW south coast and was blown away. The course itself was pretty good - very open and made up for lack of trees with clever use of ball eating rough, bunkering and water hazards, Greens were OK. The outlook and setting is spectacular - on every hole you have mountain AND ocean and beach views Cheap as chips to play but doesn't have a licensed clubhouse so take along your own drinks. Very hilly but they do have carts. Well worth a visit if you're down that way.

#103 ftg_lefty

ftg_lefty

Old & bent & devil spent & runnin' out of time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8838 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Vic.

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:13 PM

Coomealla – Dareton S.W. NSW – Good design, always good condition and plays extremely tough. It’s truly a classic Australian country golf course set amongst the huge gums with the Murray river meandering by, roos lazing in the shade and cold cold beer on a hot day.

.......and if I recall correctly, I think the pro's name is Brad Pitt!!!

#104 Top_Cat

Top_Cat

Top_Cat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2753 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:11 AM

Port Fairy

#105 armygolf

armygolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3786 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:18 PM

Just played Gerringong, NSW south coast and was blown away. The course itself was pretty good – very open and made up for lack of trees with clever use of ball eating rough, bunkering and water hazards, Greens were OK. The outlook and setting is spectacular – on every hole you have mountain AND ocean and beach views Cheap as chips to play but doesn’t have a licensed clubhouse so take along your own drinks. Very hilly but they do have carts.
Well worth a visit if you’re down that way.

Real golfers don’t cry when they line up their 4th putt.

Trickshot, no need to bring your own, just 400m down the road towards Gerroa, is the Fisho's Club on top of the hill, sit outside there and have a beer, after one of the best views of a golf course, this place is the best pace to have a schooie or 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users