117 replies to this topic

#31 dave_1_

dave_1_

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 7733 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 09:30 AM

Maffra - near sale in vic (3000) people a GREAT COURSE Manjimup - near hmmm...middle of no where 3 hours south of perth (5000 people)....also great course...slick greens...huge white gums Capel (near bunbury) not sure how many ....great coursew...small but slick greens..... broome WA 15,000 in off season 35,000 i tourist season...... Anglsea (great ocean road) (hmm bout 10,000)...nice course also

#32 Placegetter

Placegetter

Live4PJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3633 posts
  • Location10m past Natnkyls

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:41 PM

Narracoorte

KitFisto, I think Naracoorte fails the two pub test, but a little further down the road at Keith is a little gem. That's my vote. Good access to Limestone Coast and Coonawarra regions too.

#33 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:09 AM

KitFisto, I think Naracoorte fails the two pub test, but a little further down the road at Keith is a little gem.
Probably right, but when I was there last a few years ago the club looked like it was barely keeping its head above water. They probably need all the help they can get.

#34 Placegetter

Placegetter

Live4PJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3633 posts
  • Location10m past Natnkyls

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:38 AM

KitFisto, I think Naracoorte fails the two pub test, but a little further down the road at Keith is a little gem.

Probably right, but when I was there last a few years ago the club looked like it was barely keeping its head above water. They probably need all the help they can get.

No question about that. The greensman is a volunteer for starters. That's why it is a walk up starter in this thread for mine. Plus the 2nd screws with my head.

#35 Funky71

Funky71

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:57 AM

A lot of the South East courses are pretty nice, and Keith certainly has its charm, but I think Millicent is the best country course in the state. Don't know what other criteria it fits, but there is certainly an honesty box. I think Meningie will struggle with the condition of Lake Albert and you have to watch out for the locals at Naracoorte. They can be a bit feisty at times. TandM

#36 scousegolfer

scousegolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:16 PM

Maclean is near Grafton & is the epitome of small town country golf. It is a bit a way out of the town but has great new holes mixed in with the old. No pro shop just friendly staff in the clubhouse. Sadly it suffers from the syndrome that everyone wants to go to Yamba(which is a nice course) as it is more coastal. A hidden gem of golf in NSW & also it is a Scottish town which says it should have a golf course & a good one at that.

#37 AlexMc

AlexMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1903 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:12 PM

Was going to mention Maclean...good track.

#38 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1314 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:06 AM

Maffra – near sale in vic (3000) people a GREAT COURSE
Manjimup – near hmmm…middle of no where 3 hours south of perth (5000 people)....also great course…slick greens…huge white gums
Capel (near bunbury) not sure how many ….great coursew…small but slick greens…..
broome WA 15,000 in off season 35,000 i tourist season…...
Anglsea (great ocean road) (hmm bout 10,000)...nice course also

golf really is a really silly game,I just pretend Im good and I really play to get away from the missus because she nags me to death!!

I'll second the vote for Maffra as well. Some of the best greens I have ever had the pleasure to putt on - and they have an honesty box!

#39 golferman68

golferman68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:48 AM

clifton, south of toowoomba, used to have fantastic greens.. Not sure what they are like these days.

#40 iseekcricket_AFLguru

iseekcricket_AFLguru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1175 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:10 AM

Campbells Creek, just outside Castlemaine in Vic. Has one pub, shop, post office and school.

#41 AlexMc

AlexMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1903 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:08 AM

Bellingen (near Coffs Harbour) isn't a bad track for a 9 holer either (when it isn't under water). Nambucca Island would probably fit under the two-pub rule and it is an excellent small town track.

#42 Sonab

Sonab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1440 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:18 AM

Does Trentham count? It would only have a couple of pubs, not lights or roundabouts, and I’‘ve used the honesty box a couple of times.

It’s only got one pub.

You don’t have to look for cars, just hear them.

Trentham Golf Club
http://www.trenthamgolf.com

i thought they reopened the beer garden at the one that burnt down

#43 TurfN3rd

TurfN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:41 PM

Being born and bred in Sale, my vote goes to Maffra CG. Been a member there for nearly 15 years although i don't live in the area now i'm very happy to keep paying $200 for a country membership. $540 for a full membership if anyone is interestsed

#44 ftg_lefty

ftg_lefty

Old & bent & devil spent & runnin' out of time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8838 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Vic.

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:28 PM

Surprised all you Gippsland blokes haven't mentioned it, but Yarram gets my vote - a great little "sand-belt" type course - Good greens & a challenging course that will make you think - I love it honesty box system when no-one in attendance - Yarram has 2 pubs (I think) and the people there are very friendly and 1 set of traffic lights, but I think it qualifies

#45 drgazgiz

drgazgiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3296 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:40 PM

i thought they reopened the beer garden at the one that burnt down

OK, it's got 1½ pubs then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users