Photo

Barnbougle II: The Lost Farm - 178 pics!

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 Rupert The Bear

Rupert The Bear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:55 AM

2 sleeps to go before we hit both courses on Sun, Mon & Tues will try & take some photos to post next week.

#32 pjbriddon1

pjbriddon1

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:03 AM

Played at Lost Farm today. Will write a more formal review when the course is added to the directory, but it's a stunning course. Lots of great par 3s, a couple of short par 4s, some really testing longer par 4s and some strong par 5s. Fairways are even wider than next door, there are plenty of bunkers but they aren't generally as deep or difficult, and the greens are larger and flatter. Overall, a very playable course - I guess if you like the first Barnbougle course you'll probably like this course too. Is it better than Barnbougle? - at the moment I honestly don't know, but ask again after a few more visits, especially after the course has had a bit more time to mature. At the moment the place is a large building site. There's an awful lot more work to be finished before the formal opening in December, but when done, I think the facilities here will be amongst the best in the country, if not the world. I can't wait to see what develops.

#33 IFYARECKON

IFYARECKON

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:28 AM

Guys, some pics of the course from my visit over the weekend. http://tinyurl.com/36gl8bo/ Overall thoughts: It's been about a year since I have played the Dunes course and after the weekends visit and 36 holes at Lost Farm, I would have to say that i preferred the Lost Farm layout. Next trip i will play them both over the same weekend to get a better gauge. The Lost Farm facilities will probably be superior once finished, given the views from the restaurant with the Wellness center about to open and the new Pro Shop/Sportsbar currently under construction. The staff were also super friendly, with the owner Richard and his wife taking time out to sit down for a chat. There are some excellent holes on this course. Personal favorites were the 4th (short par 3), 5th (drive over a huge dune to cut the corner), 11th (tough drive over a crest), 13th (seemed to keep going left forever), 14th (short par 4 into the wind with great views), 17th (tough par 3 uphill with a long carry) and the 18th (great par 4 to finish). It was interesting to note that the 2 extra holes (20 in total) were both in play and on the score cards making it a par 78. Not sure if this will be the case come the official opening. The first of the 2 extra holes (13a)is a pretty good little par 3, requiring the player to aim thier shot out over some dense scrub to come back with the prevailing winds. 18a seems to be have been designed as a something to do on the way back to the clubhouse. Will certainly be back early in the new year.

#34 TGRONALDO

TGRONALDO

Suspect

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:50 AM

I have just returned from Tassy and played both Barnbougle courses. Having played the Dunes about 8-10 times , I was really interested to compare. We played the Dunes in a light breeze in the afternoon and it still rates for me as the best course I have ever played. That is amoung 500 courses in Australia , Canada , UK and Ireland over 30years and playing between 6 and 12 over that time. We played the Lost Farm in 45 Kn winds at a temperature of around 10-12 C. It has some great holes that match up with The Dunes but I felt one or two holes really are not up to the rest unless there is a wind blowing. The 13th is a good example where the fairway reminded me of a grass runway. Nevertheless I will reserve my assessment for the Lost farm after I have played it a few times. The pair of them are without doubt , world class and will attract many overseas visitors who will not be disappointed. The Buildings are not yet complete but are also going to be the talk of thegolfing world. I will play them at least once a year and will probably get dragged down there many more times once I describe the set up to my regular golfng mates

#35 Burgs

Burgs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:27 AM

Lost farm is a great track..played it 3 weeks ago(weekend away with 30 members from my golf club)....the par 3's are just something to be beleived...Fairways are for giving off most tee shots,greens were very soft & sandy but my the time it opens early december will be in awesome nik.The 8th hole is the hardest par 5 i have ever played,,,the pro @ our club hit 5 iron for his 3rd shot....something to see to be beleived!!!!!

#36 makadokas

makadokas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:35 AM

Just got back from playing both Barnbougle courses over the last few days. The Lost Farm is a bit easier than the dunes. Both are stunning and I enjoyed playing both. We had some windy days so I got to see them with their teeth out and the dunes is far more ferocious. I think which one you prefer depends on a) how good a golfer you are and b) how sado-masochistic you are. We stayed at Lost Farm and the accom was really schmick. When the pro shop/sports bar is done it will be a really nice complete venue.

#37 tassimike

tassimike

tassimke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Locationlaunceston

Posted 19 November 2010 - 06:01 AM

Good write up in latest Golf Australia.

#38 sabco62

sabco62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 01:02 AM

I'm heading to the Lost Farm next Wednesday. Played BD this time last year in perfect conditions and hoping for the same next week. Despite being a little golf deprived it should be fun. Does anyone have a scorecard so I can do a bit of homework? Any tips?

#39 pjbriddon1

pjbriddon1

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 07:57 AM

I've only got two bits of advice for you. 1. Take plenty of golf balls 2. Watch out for the crows! Enjoy.

#40 sabco62

sabco62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:53 PM

Thanks a lot. I've heard you need balls to play it, and crows seem to be a major hazard at any Tassie course this year.

#41 tassimike

tassimike

tassimke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Locationlaunceston

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:40 AM

Lost Farm is not as demanding as Barnbougle. Plenty of long holes and as many short par 3s .even if you play badly, you will still enjoy the scenery and the view from the restaurant....Mike...

#42 sabco62

sabco62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:02 AM

You seem to be the Lost Farm expert here Mike. Two questions. 13a and 18a.... why? and how is it physically, Given the spring we've had I reckon it'll be pretty lush.

#43 Natnkyls

Natnkyls

Master Chipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2037 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:24 AM

13a and 18a were because the designer said to the owner, i have 20 great golf holes, pick 18, and the owner said bugger that, build them all,

#44 sabco62

sabco62

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:32 AM

Love it. I thought it may be just to make walking 100m between holes more enojyable.

#45 tassimike

tassimike

tassimke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Locationlaunceston

Posted 26 November 2010 - 03:53 PM

Plenty of room down here Sab .Both are different to 13 and 18 which are par 4s. 13a and 18a are par 3s. You will enjoy all of them. Official opening coming up soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users