91 replies to this topic

#16 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:58 AM

By the way this thread is about Victoria. Most NSW golfer swears that NSW golf club is definately better (overall) than RM. But they have to think HARD when comparing KH !!!

#17 Porterhouse

Porterhouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:03 PM

One thing that fails clubs that continually say they are better than RM for whatever reason is you can't argue with the fact that RM has two courses. And two sensational courses as well. The fact that at RM a member can turn up and choose a different track to play stands for a lot. They also get to play the composite track a few times a year also. NSW might be better than RM west at the moment in some eyes, but it will never be better than the composite course.

#18 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:26 AM

That's true Joey. Many members of private single 18 hole club are also members of another club usually in the Mornington/Cape schank area including Frankston. There are now 5 clubs in Vic that have 2 x 18 holes. And The Heritage I'm glad has 2 very diff courses.

#19 Ayds

Ayds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:26 AM

One thing that fails clubs that continually say they are better than RM for whatever reason is you can’t argue with the fact that RM has two courses. And two sensational courses as well. The fact that at RM a member can turn up and choose a different track to play stands for a lot. They also get to play the composite track a few times a year also. NSW might be better than RM west at the moment in some eyes, but it will never be better than the composite course.

You definately would not complain if you where a member at RM!

#20 Chanceman

Chanceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:47 AM

KH over RM anytime but try going to a toffy english golf course and announce you are from OZ and you will see that RM is quite easy going by comparison!! they send the spies after you to check you havent dug up the greens.

#21 TurfN3rd

TurfN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:29 AM

I'm pretty sure that the finishing holes at KH for the masters will be the same as the members play it from 15 thru to 18

#22 Porterhouse

Porterhouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

You are right ocat1979. I stand corrected. Below is directly from KH. I still think 4,5,6 is a far better finish than 16,17,18. "One of the many challenges we will have during this year’s Masters will be the movement of the spectators around the course. The order of play for the event has been established as being: 7,8,9,11,2,3,4,5,6, and 1,19,12,13,14,15,16,17,18. The 10th hole will not be in play as this area (other than the green) will be needed to allow the large numbers of spectators to move off the 9th hole. The design of the surrounds of the Clubhouse provides for an additional tee behind the existing 1st tee which will be in play on major events, similar to the back tee on the 12th. With the 10th hole out of play it will afford us the opportunity to play the 4th hole from the 10th tee. This week the shelter to the left of the 10th tee was removed to allow for the refurbishment of this area. The 4th certainly looks challenging from back on the 10th tee."

#23 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:43 AM

Anyone here playing at KH this 1st Dec. ?

#24 Didntquitecatchit

Didntquitecatchit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2607 posts
  • LocationMelbourne City

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:47 AM

Kingston heath for me. Have played Royal and left disappointed overall.

#25 mac

mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:42 AM

If you play Royal Melbourne and leave disappointed you know nothing about course design - and you are judging the experience by the service in the pro shop, the sandwiches or the condition of then course. If you are doing any of the above you are missing the point.

#26 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

I don't understand the love for Kingston Heath. Flat, a stack of shitty blind tee shots and green complexes that are OK but nothing special. Royal Melbourne West and at least a couple of other Melbourne tracks are better. And FWIW it is light years behind Barnbougle Dunes on pretty much every level.

#27 PortlandChris1

PortlandChris1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

Played RM east today and for the first time in 5 years that I have been playing some rain at the right time had the course in a very presentable conditions. Greens were fast and true even though the odd one a little bumpy due to poa invasion. Fairways excellent surface although some would say were patchy (not an issue for me as I don't worry about asthetics that much but the look caused by 2 diff grasses), and rough was longish and very thick in parts. Speaking to the guy in the pro shop and said a couple of things about RM improvements.. 1. West Course closed over summer for extensive work on greens, surrounds and fwys. All greens to be resurfaced, and surrounds resown. Fairways resown to remove winter grass. This is hoped to stop the winter grass invasion of greens. 2 East Course to be closed for a month for renos in Nov. Didn't go into detail about what happening. I would imagine the holes that constitute the composite course will undergo the same as planned for the west course.

#28 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:03 AM

All greens to be resurfaced, and surrounds resown. Fairways resown to remove winter grass. This is hoped to stop the winter grass invasion of greens.
Weren't they all resurfaced within the past 10 years? I would have thought there will still be plenty of poa off the fairways to infest the greens. Weren't they planning to resow the fairways with Legend couch in a belated response to the past 13 years of drought?

#29 Golfgeek3005

Golfgeek3005

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:00 PM

If you play Royal Melbourne and leave disappointed you know nothing about course design – and you are judging the experience by the service in the pro shop, the sandwiches or the condition of then course. If you are doing any of the above you are missing the point.

So you're saying you need to be an expert in course design to enjoy the course? gees, would have thought a good course could be appreciated by all. I must admit I like royal, but so many people love it to be on the bandwagon rather than really appreciating it...(not saying you're one of them Mac)...

#30 mac

mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:09 PM

Golfgeek. I did not say anything like 'you need to be an expert in course design' I was saying that you need to know something about course design and there is a massive difference between knowing something and expertise. And the design/architecture at RM is so brilliant even less observent golfers who just have their eyes open should be able to appreciate the strategies. KitFisto. Kingston Heath green complexes are 'ok but nothing special' Can you give examples in Australia of 'special green complexes'? I would have thought 2,3,,8,9,10,11,12,14,15 and 16 qualify as some of the best green complexes in the country - and hold up well in world terms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users