154 replies to this topic

#46 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12441 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

Didn't realise it was so in demand. Sorry, some work actually came up at lunch that needed attention. Stay tuned...

#47 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12441 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:18 AM

4th Hole

Distance: 144 (White) 165 (Black) Index: 15 First of the short iron holes and out of the 4 on the course, this is probably the least daunting from the tee. Not necessarily the easiest (9 is rated 17) but with no notable distance or water, it is the most ‘normal’. Those among us used too 150m Par 3s shouldn’t have to many issues. A tee shot which has to negotiate a fence of trees is required, with a reasonable gap between two shoot if you like to keep your ball flight low. It’s a large welcoming green, which from memory slopes from back to front whilst also having a bit of left to right. The hole is guarded on all sides by bunkers is the most dangerous being the left hand side and rear right bunkers. Front left bunker I didn’t even notice on the day. From the Whites there is no bail out areas, nor should there be. A good strike and you should be ‘dancing’. Enjoy the simplicity of the hole, as this is the last chance you’ll get to catch you breath until after the 18th. The course steps up a notch from here, and you will have wanted to bank a few points early if you started on the first. If this is your second nine, buckle up, as your rest is over. Anyone who gets a shot on this hole should be eyeing off a 3ptr here. Smerg’s Tip: Forget the flag, go the middle of the green. From there, not too much trouble.

#48 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12441 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

5th Hole

Distance: 339 (White) 374 (Black) Index: 10 The first of many visually daunting drives you’ll have to play, assuming your playing the course of the 1st tee. An absolute ripper of a hole that rewards bold play, but greatly penalises any inaccuracy or poor management. Off the Whites you’ll be faced with the need to clear the channel you’ve just crossed to reach the tee box. This channel runs the entire length of the hole and is always close enough for a solid slice. Top your drive here, and just load up again. Too add more sting to it, the designers decided to leave a nice big gum smack bang in the perfect firing line, which means if you want to go for maximum distance, you’ll need to negotiate this. To be fair, it’s at a good distance (~140m) where you should be able to carry it if you get loft in your drives. Otherwise, bring some bendy. There is a bit of space next to the channel right of the tree but that is really dancing with danger. I would suggest left of the tree with a good fade is the much safer play as there is a fair bit of space and opens the green up. Actually if you go far left (past the pines) there is a bit of space, but the grass is quite long so you’re playing Russian Roulette finding it. Hit a provisional just in case. Assuming you’ve negotiated your tee shot well, you should be left with a relatively short iron in, given the hole isn’t epically long. A large front right bunker will catch those who come up short. But it has a friendly rake which has a history of spitting balls which bounce in there out onto the green, doesn’t it Stink. Would be a tricky sand play from here so I’d recommend keeping out of here as much as possible. Quite a large green again, with another slope from back to front. If it’s dried out, this green will have the potential to really fly down the hill. Once again, below the hole is key. All in all, it’s the first of the very good holes if you ask me, primarily with how it’s framed off the tee. Negotiate this tee shot and there will be points a plenty. If not, the Roy Orbison (The Big ‘O’) might be playing your song. Smerg’s Tip: Pick you tee shot and go with it. Be deliberate. Indecision here will cost you.

#49 Spartan52

Spartan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1849 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

Enjoying the Reviews so far Smergs, Kudos to you :)

#50 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12441 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:59 AM

Enjoying the Reviews so far Smergs, Kudos to you :)

Incoming Golf Balls have the right of way!

Cheers mate. Stay tuned, might drop a sneaky one in on the long weekend. Not sure...

#51 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11278 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

How do you remember all this? I couldnt do this detailed a review for my home course!

#52 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38346 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

How do you remember all this?

I couldnt do this detailed a review for my home course!

2011 C Grade Champion Vic ISG Round #4 OOM Keysborough Golf club

VTPP # 0641

He's making it up. He's never played there and it's all a scam to suck everyone in, when they get there in April.

#53 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12441 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

Not sure Rob, I have a bit of a knack for remembering the courses and rounds I play within reason. As time passes my play of them falls, but I can generally remember the holes. But also, despite the fact that I am quite talkative on the course, I do take the time to enjoy the walk each hole and appreciate it, even if it's as boring as the 3rd.

#54 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20104 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

Yeah he just never shuts up Rob .....its a bit like playing with Micky actually ....... (Just kidding Matty). Hey by the way, it's bloody Tuesday Smergs ... where's the hole from yesterday??? ......... Don't tell me you're also have public holidays off, ya friggin part-timer. By the time you eventually get yourself around to doing 18 ......we'll have already played the bastard at this rate.

#55 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12441 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Awww... feel the love Gaz... The 6th and 7th will be forthcoming in the next 24hrs, and then I'm taking the rest of the week off. Will resume the course review on the 19th. But only if you ask nicely.

#56 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40032 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

You have to ask me nicely. You see, Gaz, I can deal with the bunkers and the bad lies and Kiwi. I don't want money and I don't want medals. What I do want is for you to stand there in those "hybrid-user" white loudmouth pants and with your Beaconsfield mouth extend me some flipping courtesy! You gotta ask me nicely.

#57 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12441 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

6th Hole

Distance: 362m (Whites) 406 (Blacks) Index: 2 OK, as Tex Perkins sang, “the honeymoon is over”. This is the first of what I like to call “The Big 5”, which I believe are the 5 holes that will define your round and probably the OOM results. Rated number 2, this hole is a formidable opponent. Most of the demand and trouble for this hole is off the tee. It might just be the hardest tee shot you play all day. On the tee you are confronted with a bit of space before water carry is required. It doesn’t look long, but at it’s shortest carry (at the path) it’s 150m, and at it’s longest (at left side of the fairway) it’s a massive 195m. Either way, you’re going to need to get a good shot away. But that’s not where it ends off the tee. You see you’ll want to keep it as left as possible to give you a second shot into the green. Too far right playing safe and you’ll block your path. The safe play here will should be to go to your ‘stock shot’ and get it to a safe place. Everyone in the field gets a shot here so a 5 for 2 (or 6 for 2) is going to be a rock solid option. Oh, did I mention the drive was also a little up hill so you’re not going to get as much distance? If you negotiate your tee shot well you are going to be looking at anything from 180m to 150m dependinig on your length off the tee. It’s a touch shot from down there also. The green complex itself is large-ish, with once again a nice back to front slope to help catch you shots in. Big bunker front right should be avoided. If the flag is at the front, this should be an easier task, but back right and it could get nasty. The smart, and sensible play here will be to treat it as a Par 5. Play safe off the tee, play safe to wedge distance, get on, 2 putt and happily walk off. But who will be sensible? A 3ptr here will be as good as any 3ptr you snaffle and will definitely be a shot on the field. Good luck is all I can say… Smerg’s Tip: It’s all about getting over the creek and in play.

#58 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20104 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

Geez, don't remember that hole either. I reckon I must have gone around there with my eyes closed ......... which could be possible ........... given the sideways rain we had to endure when we played.

#59 Spartan52

Spartan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1849 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:07 AM

So where is the 7th? its been 24 Hrs or more....

#60 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12441 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:11 AM

So where is the 7th? its been 24 Hrs or more….

Incoming Golf Balls have the right of way!

Been away... back on deck tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users