154 replies to this topic

#151 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12437 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

Good to hear your reviews guys. I completely agree with the clubhouse comment too. Got lost trying to find the proshop the first time. I reckon it could do with a few more signs... It's touch and go as to which is better out of WV or HV. WV probably consistently better, but HV has holes and golf experiences you'll remember for a while. For that reason, it gets the nod from me.

#152 vinum_coupe

vinum_coupe

Burp!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2849 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

HV actually looks better on google maps than it does live. I went back through your reviews on Tuesday smergs. And for the life of me I couldn't remember playing the 6th. There are a couple of things that let down HV. 1/ You dont become disorientated. It doesn't trick you into hitting somewhere you shouldn't. (in comparison to say eynesbury which continually stuffs you). I reckon you would get a bit bored as a member at HV. 2/ The pars 3's. Although I played crap on all of them they are nothing holes really. Yes there is water on 9 and 18. That makes them harder, not more interesting. 16 is a bit interesting. Only because the bunker front left kind of makes you hit it into no mans land on the right. But you dont get penalised for being out right. There's no rough at all. The 4th is probably the best. Well it would be if the pin was tucked in back left. The par 5's are all good tests. There are 2 holes for mine which are very difficult tee shots. 5 & 15. Because you are almost certainly going to run out of fairway. Well 85% of people will. 13 is a daunting tee shot. But you dont have to consider angle or length. First time you play it maybe. But not after that.

#153 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

Smergen, good reviews about a pretty uninspiring golf course. Well done. Pity about all the houses the take away from a lovely valley.

#154 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12437 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

Smergen, good reviews about a pretty uninspiring golf course. Well done. Pity about all the houses the take away from a lovely valley.

Thanks CG... I think. I really enjoyed the course and am looking forward to playing it in decent weather this weekend. Having said that, some of the housing estate(s) really do detract from your surroundings, particularly on the 5th hole if I recall correctly.

#155 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:42 AM

Smergen, the long walks between some tees, crossing of the roads, the housing and the gimmicky water hole put me off the course. Hence my reference to uninspiring. The housing reminds me of Sanctuary Lakes and Sandhurst whereas at the National the housing is there but less obvious. I like core golf courses where housing does not detract from the overall experience. HV can be very ordinary in winter as the valley is very cold and often in drizzle or fog. Enjoy your game as the weather looks excellent for the week end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users