69 replies to this topic

#16 Shinypants

Shinypants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:40 PM

Lots of water looks great on TV, but members don't want to pay good money to watch their golf balls dropping into ponds everywhere. Golf is meant to be fun. That's not fun. I wouldn't play there if membership was free.

#17 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3703 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:03 AM

Southern, Kingswood, Woodlands, Long Island, Spring Valley and Keysborough have all received some of the ex-Patriver members that have jumped ship during the last 18 months. Some have gone back to playing the public tracks. I must go and have a game at Patriver to see what all the fuss is really about. I'm told that some of the water holes have been filled in, for several reasons ??? Let me say just one word, "AMALGAMATION". Jon...

#18 _anon_

_anon_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3251 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 10:36 PM

I'm at Long Island and played with a Patterson River convert last week, he was a bit displeased with the direction the course had taken and was raving about LI.

#19 Ayds

Ayds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:33 PM

I have heard mixed reviews about this place. How do they survive without members? Is this normal for clubs like this to redesign their old courses and have members leave?

#20 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:18 AM

I have heard mixed reviews about this place. How do they survive without members? Is this normal for clubs like this to redesign their old courses and have members leave
Yes, it happens every time.

#21 Ayds

Ayds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:41 AM

I have heard mixed reviews about this place. How do they survive without members? Is this normal for clubs like this to redesign their old courses and have members leave

Yes, it happens every time.

I was speaking to an old chap on the course the other day and he mentioned to me that he hates playing at in his words "new stupid long courses" and that they have taken the fun out of golf. While i sort of agree with him, i do believe that all of this new course design as forgotton the most important part of golf and that is fun. You should not have to hit a driver and then 3 wood to make it onto the green.

#22 Ratnyka

Ratnyka

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:14 AM

Agree with you Ayds. A well constructed hole is a lot more fun than just ripping down the middle just to find your still got to hit a miracle with a 5 wood/ 3 hybrid.... But i still think Pat River is toilet of a course primarily because the dmped soil mounds are totally wrong.... Nothing wrong with water along a fairway or surrounding a green btshould be in keeping with its surrounds...

#23 RLGOLF

RLGOLF

Suspect

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:44 AM

Had an enjoyable day myself folks. Our group always does when we play at Patterson River. Believe it has come along way from the course of old. You boys should be embarrassed, complaining because a course is too challenging for you, lose a few balls in the water did we boys? Amateurs ***** and moan and blame others for their short comings. Move on fellas. Shame really, Not all us old golfers are cynical old whingers. Glad i won't be running into you on the fairways, torture to listen to your whining for 4 hours.

#24 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24064 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:49 AM

Had an enjoyable day myself folks. Our group always does when we play at Patterson River. Believe it has come along way from the course of old.
You boys should be embarrassed, complaining because a course is too challenging for you, lose a few balls in the water did we boys?
Amateurs ***** and moan and blame others for their short comings. Move on fellas.
Shame really, Not all us old golfers are cynical old whingers.
Glad i won’t be running into you on the fairways, torture to listen to your whining for 4 hours.

nice 2nd post,

#25 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3703 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:57 AM

Had an enjoyable day myself folks. Our group always does when we play at Patterson River. Believe it has come along way from the course of old.
You boys should be embarrassed, complaining because a course is too challenging for you, lose a few balls in the water did we boys?
Amateurs ***** and moan and blame others for their short comings. Move on fellas.
Shame really, Not all us old golfers are cynical old whingers.
Glad i won’t be running into you on the fairways, torture to listen to your whining for 4 hours.

So you got the paperwork signed and stumped up the joining fees to become a member at Patriver then ? Jon...

#26 RLGOLF

RLGOLF

Suspect

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:01 AM

They've got a deal on at the moment. If two people join, the second person only pays 50% of membership fee. No joining fee that i am aware of. Most golf clubs have ruled out the bull$hit joining fees. I am currently a member at Long Island. But i will be shopping around at end of subscription time, don't you worry about that. I want to get the best value for my dollar. Sadly Long Island spends a few months of the year under water.

#27 Johncantplay

Johncantplay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:29 AM

As a "newbie" here, allow me to add my 2 cents worth... A friend of mine is involved at Patto, truly a friend, not what most of you probably think. He says the place is so unstable because of years of discontent since the redevolpment about 6 years ago. Since then, they have had 4 General Managers ( & haven't had 1 in 12 months ), 3 pro's, went from a Superintendent to a Consultant to Contract Maintenance & now back to an in house Superintendent. When you posted your first on this subject RLGOLF, the Contract situation was wrapping up, caused by lack of funds apparently as everyone was happy with the job being done by them. The groundstaff numbers have been cut by 2, so we all know what is likely with that reduction. The merger rumours are constant with Rossdale, Amstel & recently your club being mentioned. In the past 2 years or so, they have had 3 A.G.M.s, 1 E.G.M. ( which had to be terminated because of the threats of violence ) & around 25, yes 25 different Committee members !!! Any wonder members leave with regularity ? The design of the golf course is apparently another major reason of unhappiness for most. Hidden hazards ( both water & bunkers ) along with everyone's favourite mounding and the increased difficulty that most modern design seems to include doesn't help & the greens are already sometimes soft & full of Poa. The one redeeming feature is certainly the fact of what appears to be the unlimited supply of water, when many clubs in Melbourne are suffering from the opposite. Was that 2 cents worth, or more like 2 cents change in the dollar...

#28 Takeitasread

Takeitasread

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 10:37 PM

It was probably more than 2 cents, but it made a lot of sense.

#29 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3703 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:47 AM

Youv'e hit the nail on the head Johncantplay. The people on the outside looking in are only guessing at the problems. But not to worry, RL will soon be onboard and happy times will once again return to the river. Jon...

#30 PRCC

PRCC

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:14 AM

Johncantplay - Unfortunately your information is factually incorrect. We are unsure why you are wrongly creating an image of instability to the detriment of the club. The club staff is stable and a Manager in place since July. Yes we have an annual general meeting and an EGM each year as required. Our board consists of 9 members and the club would routinely turn over 18-20 directors in a 2 year period. There are no plans to amalgamate with any other club. The club is financially stable and has no debt. The course maintenance was brought back in house using 90% of the existing contract staff to both reduce costs and gain management direction. There is only 1 less staff member on course. Everyone at the club is very pleased with the course condition. The greens are not soft and a poa infestation is a problem facing many Melbourne Clubs. We invite all visitors to actually play the course. There are no hidden hazards - the course is a very fair test for risk and reward. For any further factual information please contact the club

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users