• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 RLGOLF

RLGOLF

Suspect

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:18 AM

I recently had a game at Patterson River Country Club i was amazed at the condition of their course. Admittedly it had been years since i had played there. They seem to be one of the few Victorian Golf Clubs who haven't been affected by the water shortage. Its a great course out at Patterson River and I'll be heading back soon. I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted. ~Author Unknown

#2 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:36 AM

Another course with out of character mounds. How is the membership drive going?

#3 Hacky_Mchack

Hacky_Mchack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:00 AM

hrrrrm, im running round there for 9 tomorrow!

#4 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24046 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:02 AM

casualgolfer mmm the cynic in me thinks you may be on to something. kiwi

#5 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:28 AM

Kiwi, To me the mounding seems so out of character that I just cannot see why it is being introduced into relatively flat courses. Some natural mounding maybe, but not what looks like soil dumping. The mounds at Sunshine, the 8th at Kooringal, between the 11th & 12 th, the mounded practice fairway and along the 17th at Medway and throughout Patterson River can hardly be said to enhance the attraction of the golf courses. Kooringal's membership is I think sound and with poker machines the seem to be well off. Medway, Sunshine and Patterson River from what I hear are always scraping for members, offer relatively cheap fees and still they do not appeal. There is a problem!! I do wonder if the unattractive mounding has anything to do with the lack of members. The style of the mounds suggest that the same design is being used, like just out of a Rice Bubbles pack. I have not seen such odd looking mounds at any other course which has a good membership base. Perhaps low cost design, expensive works in carting soil off site? Remember when I watched pennant at Medway, the mounds were just dirt, no grass at all. Not my cup of tea at all, and maybe the lack of members casts the same judgement.

#6 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24046 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:46 AM

casual they could be umarked graves of cooters, you know the blokes on committee's that suddenly disappeared, there's a lot of it about. kiwi

#7 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:17 AM

Kiwi maybe the designer is building these big mounds in preparation for climate change expecting snow on the slopes.

#8 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24046 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:48 AM

casual now i need to buy a cardy if thats the case. button front or a zip??? kiwi

#9 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:58 AM

Kiwi No option - the zip, the slopes being built on these courses are steep and high, exposed to stronger winds the higher up.

#10 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3311 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:13 AM

Patriver is struggling, they have lost half of their membership over the last 18 months. Down from 800+ to 400 odd. They have even filled in some of the new water features because they were/are just to penal if you missed a green on the wrong side. Both Patriver and Rossdale have submitted takeover plans to each other, both clubs are also still laughing at each others bid. One big, well run club would seem to be a great way to move forward but neither will budge. The real question is, if one club does go under, will the lost members swap camps, I think not ? Jon...

#11 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24046 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

jon so where would 400 members up and leave to (over time obv) How far apart are these courses? Kiwi

#12 HotPies

HotPies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1712 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:45 PM

Rumor I've heard, Rossdale will move to Patterson river. Rossdale boundarys cant be moved due to housing & parks on all boundarys. Patterson River has spent a fair bit of coin in the last 5 years. Alot of intrest for the Rossdale land for housing. I'm moving down there and looking for a club to join. A few seam to be on shaky ground at the moment

#13 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:01 AM

A merger down there would seem a real good move. Too many golf courses in the area and it is getting easier to get into the 'bigger' name courses. Perhaps a better option would be for both courses or a few others down there too, to merge, sell up their land and build a new 36 hole course somewhere around the keysborough region/Greens Road. Plenty of land down there, Eastlink access. Would make a real strong club financially.

#14 HotPies

HotPies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1712 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

A merger down there would seem a real good move.

Too many golf courses in the area and it is getting easier to get into the ‘bigger’ name courses.

Perhaps a better option would be for both courses or a few others down there too, to merge, sell up their land and build a new 36 hole course somewhere around the keysborough region/Greens Road. Plenty of land down there, Eastlink access.

Would make a real strong club financially.

Agree

#15 Kransky

Kransky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:50 PM

Patt River got ripped off big time by the developer and project manager / architect who redid the course for them. They were naive and got stiched up. Instead of having squillions in the bank after completion of the course they have sweet f@#* all and a crap course which the members loathe (why so many left).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users