#31 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:49 AM

Hi all, just a quick update here. 

Northern has just completed its year-long renovations and the full 18 holes are now open.  The old practise fairway was sold, with 8,9 and 10 being rerouted onto vacant land to make space for a new practice fairway.  The new holes are very tough, 10 being a 411m par 4 with OB all the way down the left, fairway bunkers and an elevated green, 9 being a 386m par  4 slight dogleg right with water left, and 8 a 465m par 5 in an S shape.  Overall, the course is the same length, and the slope rating has increased from 123 to 126. 

As part of the renovation, a 19th hole has been built and the dam water storage capacity doubled.  A new chipping and putting green is about to open, its about 40m long - one of the biggest greens I have seen.  A master plan is now being developed for the next 10 years of course works. 

The club still has around 3 million in its coffers from the sale of the practice fairway and plans to spend it rather than save it.  One option is a refit of the entire club house, and building a new pro shop, it's also under consideration how much of this should go towards future course works. 

The club just cleared the waiting list and memberships are presently full, but if anyone is interested I would suggest moving fast.  Right now there is no joining fee, and a six day membership is 25% cheaper than 7 day.  There is talk of bringing back the joining fee, and also raising the 6 day rate given the demand for the new facilities. 

Edited by Snappy McSnapperton, 28 April 2016 - 07:50 AM.

• INKY likes this

If I can win an OOM anyone can. 

http://www.golflink....k_no=3012646041

#32 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1627 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:27 PM

I'm ready!!!
Had induction last week and we got told we would be one of the last few groups without joining fee( I'd say they will let the last 25 behind us in without it).

Hopefully they redo the bathrooms and put curtains on the shower... No one needs to see my angry inch.
That practice green looks really good, probably the biggest I've seen and range looks like it should come up well.

Not terribly excited about OB left with a duck hook and 380 plus will mean 3 par 5s in a row for me from April- November.
  • Snappy McSnapperton likes this

#33 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:56 PM

Will be good to have you on board Lukos.  A lot of the length in the course in in 8 through 13, with 3 par 5s and 3 long par fours in that stretch.  You need to have your driver warmed up from the first 7 holes by the time you get there!

#34 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1627 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 07:20 AM

My thoughts on the new holes.
8, if you can hit a ball fairly long don't even think about going at this green in 2 until you have played the course a few times, a miss fire into that could be a disaster especially with new bunkers which will plug, green, like all the new holes is insane I think I saw 5 distinct platforms. Solid par 5 which should score fairly easy if played smartly but can bite if you take to much on or really have a miss hit coming into the green.
9, another solid hole, plays 360 from the white and 26 longer from the back, bunker fairway right set up for the shorter hitters and one long left for the bigger hitters, huge green with some good catchment areas around the runoff zones.
10, index one at 390-411. OB all down the left and a few fairway bunkers thrown in. Really hard hole of you get an average drive away or are a shorter hitter. Running the ball up onto the green has nearly been taken out of the question with a big knuckle splitting the front of the green and flushing balls into bunkers or into low lying areas where you'll be pitching up a steep 5-6 foot bank into another monster green surrounded by bunkers.
I will constantly play this hole as a par 5 unfortunately.
After yesterday I'd say the maybe opened up the new course a little early, the greens were starting to lift and had about half an inch of sink in them when pushing down with a finger.

I never played the old holes but it's really strange coming through that section, it's kind of like you walk into a Mandalay type course with a few extra trees thrown in and then come back out into the other course you were playing.

Edited by Lukos87, 04 May 2016 - 07:21 AM.

#35 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:04 AM

Yep - the new holes are certainly a little raw, but the builders said they were happy for the new holes to open, and the foot traffic would help to flatten things out.  I think they will be worse for wear by the end of winter though. 

#36 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37798 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:09 AM

Yep - the new holes are certainly a little raw, but the builders said they were happy for the new holes to open, and the foot traffic would help to flatten things out.  I think they will be worse for wear by the end of winter though. 

Did they consider extra drainage when they did the new holes?    If so......are some holes going to be real dry over winter and the rest a bog??   Not having played there much....does it get wet during winter?

• Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
  • Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
  • Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012
  • Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
  • Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
  • Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013
  • Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013
  • Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018
  • Eagle - Par 5 - 8th at Cape Schanck GC - 18/3/2019
  • Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015
  • Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015
  • Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016
  • Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event
  • Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016
  • Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016
  • Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016
  • Best stroke score OTS - 77 - Gardiners Run GC - 11/11/2018
  • Captains Trophy winner (VPGC) - 2018

#37 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:28 AM

Northern's usually fine during winter - doesn't get too wet.  I expect to have Goldy as a golf refugee down for a few rounds when the Frog becomes the Bog as it does in winter. 

Having said that, some of the new collection areas on the new holes were boggy on Saturday.  That was a bit of a surprise, we thought the drainage would have been sorted during the build.  People won't be happy if we have to lay more drainage this soon after opening.  

#38 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37798 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:33 AM

Northern's usually fine during winter - doesn't get too wet.  I expect to have Goldy as a golf refugee down for a few rounds when the Frog becomes the Bog as it does in winter. 

Having said that, some of the new collection areas on the new holes were boggy on Saturday.  That was a bit of a surprise, we thought the drainage would have been sorted during the build.  People won't be happy if we have to lay more drainage this soon after opening.  

My thoughts exactly.  

• Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
  • Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
  • Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012
  • Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
  • Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
  • Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013
  • Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013
  • Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018
  • Eagle - Par 5 - 8th at Cape Schanck GC - 18/3/2019
  • Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015
  • Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015
  • Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016
  • Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event
  • Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016
  • Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016
  • Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016
  • Best stroke score OTS - 77 - Gardiners Run GC - 11/11/2018
  • Captains Trophy winner (VPGC) - 2018

#39 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1627 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:36 AM

Some of the collection areas could turn into swimming pools that are so bloody big. Very boggy yesterday.

#40 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:38 AM

I'm sure the drains are there, its a matter of the water getting to them.  The builders are still on site so I imagine a discussion will be had. 

#41 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1627 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

I'm sure the drains are there, its a matter of the water getting to them. The builders are still on site so I imagine a discussion will be had.

You playing this weekend ? I'm going down both days.

#42 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:53 AM

Unfortunately I'm out due to a combo of kid's birthday parties and mother's day.  Check with Inkosi - maybe he is able to play?

#43 Roy McAvoy

Roy McAvoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:13 PM

My thoughts on the new holes.
8, if you can hit a ball fairly long don't even think about going at this green in 2 until you have played the course a few times, a miss fire into that could be a disaster especially with new bunkers which will plug, green, like all the new holes is insane I think I saw 5 distinct platforms. Solid par 5 which should score fairly easy if played smartly but can bite if you take to much on or really have a miss hit coming into the green.
9, another solid hole, plays 360 from the white and 26 longer from the back, bunker fairway right set up for the shorter hitters and one long left for the bigger hitters, huge green with some good catchment areas around the runoff zones.
10, index one at 390-411. OB all down the left and a few fairway bunkers thrown in. Really hard hole of you get an average drive away or are a shorter hitter. Running the ball up onto the green has nearly been taken out of the question with a big knuckle splitting the front of the green and flushing balls into bunkers or into low lying areas where you'll be pitching up a steep 5-6 foot bank into another monster green surrounded by bunkers.
I will constantly play this hole as a par 5 unfortunately.
After yesterday I'd say the maybe opened up the new course a little early, the greens were starting to lift and had about half an inch of sink in them when pushing down with a finger.

I never played the old holes but it's really strange coming through that section, it's kind of like you walk into a Mandalay type course with a few extra trees thrown in and then come back out into the other course you were playing.

I flew over the course a few weeks ago and it looks like 2 different courses now. I hope it grows into the course because it was a really good track before.

#44 Snappy McSnapperton

Snappy McSnapperton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2013 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:34 AM

45 000 plants to go in for the new section yet - that will change the feel!

#45 FrontBunker

FrontBunker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:59 PM

Hi Snappy,

Do you know if the club engaged a third party to design the re-route and new holes (if so, do you know who?) or was it managed internally?

Edited by FrontBunker, 10 May 2016 - 01:00 PM.

• Snappy McSnapperton likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users