#46 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37988 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:18 AM

I'm sorry. I didn't realise. Thought I was being witty.

#47 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12714 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:25 AM

Did you arrest anyone tonight Francie ?

#48 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37988 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

Nah.........non operational.

#49 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:55 PM

He continually calls my posts drivel, just thought I’d return the favour.
There were as many words in my post as you last 50. You are the modern day Mau.

#50 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:21 PM

Kitfisto, thanks for your insight. It seems to explain much. Last week end I was invited over to Medway for a game and all the member who invited me kept doing all day was apologise for the condition of the golf course. The greens seemed not to have been cut for days, they were damp, a mixture of grasses, bumpy and terribly slow, the tees were so long it was difficult to get the tee into the ground, and the fairways also looked like they had not been cut for a considerable period of time. It was awful. Beer bottles all over the place as well, like a real cheap public course. Was told that the course designer is the club committee. I have always enjoyed playing at Medway but this was probably the last time. It may have been the Christmas break and maintenance levels reduced, however, it was also the time to showcase the course to visitors. There was no attempt to do so and it really showed how much anyone cares about the place. The number of trees dying must be a concern to the club. Of course there was no reduction in the green fee. Maka - I value your opinions, but those mounds at 11 & 12 are horrendous, very little grass and really destroy the look if the course. The new mounds along 14 have destroyed the hole and those on 7 are nowhere near a natural flow. As for the brush fence at the 12th tee and the two fences at the 17th tee, what on earth are they trying to do. Suggest that you really work on convincing the members that it is time to look deeply at what is happening and perhaps move the club. Eastern and Croydon are good examples of club committees with initiative. It is disappointing to experience the let down of last week end, will now recommend our social club plays elsewhere later in the year. Sorry Medway, but it was just is not good enough. Eynesbury and Sunshine are much better options and they welcome green fee players also, Medway takes the green fee and what you get is what you get.

#51 makadokas

makadokas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:45 AM

I heard someone in the committee talking the other day about moving to the old army site. Medway have been eyeing that off for a long time, but the minister for planning has not been very helpful. Apparently there are some listed shacks, I mean buildings, on the site that need protecting, or something like that.

#52 tigertuff

tigertuff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:07 AM

I heard someone in the committee talking the other day about moving to the old army site.
Medway have been eyeing that off for a long time, but the minister for planning has not been very helpful. Apparently there are some listed shacks, I mean buildings, on the site that need protecting, or something like that.

Isn't that site going to be a new suburb down the track? They're talking about extending the rail line and they have a lot of work to do to decontaminate it. Can't see the gvt making that much land available for a golf course, as a decent chunk of it is reserved for 3,000 public housing homes. Its going to be costly and they'll want money back when selling the remaining area to developers. You'd think selling their current location for land in a close by area would be similar $$$ wise, but then factor in development costs building a course from scratch, new club house, that'll be a massive $$ outlay

#53 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:12 AM

Moving to that site would be a brilliant move for the golf club. Selling off the current site would probably provide more than enough $$ for a course on the new site. Seems at last the Club may be thinking of its longterm future rather than the needs of just today. Also, if the road is to go through the course it would be not better than a 9 hole course. Wonder if the hold-up on the dam at the 4th is due to a relocation?

#54 makadokas

makadokas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

Sorry casual, not sure if you got my drift. Seems medway were looking at moving there years ago, and the planning dept knocked it back. I got the impression that option was all but off the table.

#55 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:52 AM

The mounds at Medway have multipied big time. Thought I would drop by and see how the course was coping with the recent rainfall and it was reasonably OK. As I walked around middle of the day no one asked me who I was or what I was doing. Had a look at the 14th green which has been rebuilt and it has the same characteristics as the 6th green, Uneven hillocks and ruts all over the place. Leave a lot to be desired for a small green, simply trying to put too many contours into a small area and it doesn't work. A couple of new dams have been constructed on the 4th and the soil has been dumped all round the course to build some of the most hideous mounds one could find on any golf course. It looks so false, totsally unnatural and out of character with the rest of the golf course. The 5th and 18th holes may have as many as 15 sharp mounds. The work between the 11th and 12th some years ago was a poor attempt at mounding, but it looks like Picasso compared to what has now happened. Anyone know who is behind the changes?

#56 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:28 AM

casual it must be PCD or some PCD wannabee

#57 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:01 AM

Thanks Hawkers. Heard today that the bank of the new dam on the corner of the dogleg at 4th hole broke its wall and water went everywhere down the 5th. A very different way of watering the golf course!

#58 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

I noticed that Sunshine are now the hosts for the Craig Parry Charity Day. Its been a Medway fixture forever whats going on?

#59 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

Didnt Parry redesign SGC?

#60 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:52 AM

Didnt Parry redesign SGC?

There’s many a slip ’tween a cup and a lip.

http://www.golflink.com.au/...

No Phil Ryan of PCD did, Craig got a fat fee for some editorial review - which amounted to not much more than removing 1 bunker. PCD have also been involved in some modification at Medway. Craig has had an association with both clubs for a long time, was a Sunshine junior before he moved onto Medway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users