241 replies to this topic

#31 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:48 AM

Maybe the building of the Ashley Street extension could be closer than one thinks!! I am imformed that the superintendent is a very long serving employee, say 20+ years. Staff can only do so much, strategic planning is a matter for the management. Seems that when one has been an office bearer the reward is often life membership. A very interesting place, Have heard that the plan for the future development of the course is from Pacific Coast Design. The plan will be used as a guide for improvements to the course long term and will incorporate paths, tees, greens, fairways, bunkers, water storage, trees, and other beautification elements. A friend of mine who is a member there often comments that Medwayis better then Northern and that the course is considered to be the best in the west. I just wonder what he is smoking! The club is reluctant to raise fees and has become semi-public to increase revenue. Perhaps it would be better to introduce a levy of say $500pa for improvements and let the levy run for say 10-15 years. Then maybe this course could become real good.

#32 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:59 AM

The club is reluctant to raise fees and has become semi-public to increase revenue. Perhaps it would be better to introduce a levy of say $500pa for improvements and let the levy run for say 10-15 years. Then maybe this course could become real good.
As someone noted previously, Pacific Coast Design are good at delivering courses that many golfers don't like playing. So I assume you are kidding.

#33 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:06 AM

Have noted much praise of Sunshine on some posts, is it a PCD design? To my knowledge, PCD designed the mounds between the 11th and 12th at Medway, they are a disgrace in appearance as there is never any grass on them. A brave move on 14, they cut the trees down and now the mounds are supposed to protect the boundary, seems to be little care for those who regularly walk or jog along the path outside of the golf course. What I was meaning to say was that the Club should charge its members about another $500 pa and utilise the money improving the golf course and facilities and eventually the course and facilites could become real good.

#34 tigertuff

tigertuff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:14 AM

I played at medway on sunday and found it to be a delightful course. Very well presented and for the most part has you thinking. The 6th I agree is just too long for a par 3. I loved the 7th, didn't really notice any eye sores or out of whack mounds except for the par 5 14th along the boundary - but obviously that is a work in progress so no skin off my nose. Very nice tight course

#35 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:59 AM

How is this for a project at Medway - installing three new sprinklers on the right side of the 10th green in the rough so grass can be grown on that bare areas so that 2nd shots can be played – the hole is 166 metres in length. This is grass 15 metres wide of the green and beyond the green side bunkers. Has anyone any idea on who is advising this type of course management?

#36 makadokas

makadokas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 05:23 AM

Hey casual, you know how many people end up there? Lots. Probably because it is more like five metres off the green. I like the idea of having them chip out of rough across a pot onto a green. There are many other projects that have been greenlighted recently and this is only one of them. I think its a good idea. Hopefully they will soon try and grow grass under all the trees on this course.

#37 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:20 AM

Why are they still chronically overwatering the greens? I could never understand why a metro club would tolerate such poor maintenance practices. I mean, the fungus, uneveness and sponginess that is dished up year after year should become obvious to even the most myopic board member eventually. Makadokas, last time I was there it looked like most of the trees were dying, and being replaced by fencing.

#38 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:42 AM

Makadokas - are there any plans to remove the mounding along the left side of 12 as it does nothing to improve the character of the hole. Also, the practice fairway mounding would be better used to hide the factories around the boundaries. What is the sickening smell up near the 5th and 18th tees when playing at the course mid week? Also noticed last time I played there that the new mounds alongside the 7th fairway are full of rocks, where is the soil coming from? KitFitso - I have noticed those fences too and you are right, more and more fencing is going in. What about the wire cage at the 6th tee, now that is something different. Almost like being inside a hammer throw ring. From some of your other posts I sense that you have an eye for architectural merit - what do you think of the mounding along 14 and the new fairway bunkers?

#39 Ayds

Ayds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:39 PM

Hawkers, would you be surprised if the SL members did their shirts? What do the memberships sell for now? I notice there is one on ebay for the Sandhurst Club starting at $1. There is no reason why those memberships should trade at a level much greater than a typical joining fee, which out that way is probably not much.

Does anyone know if there has been any discussions about moving Medway to the 130 hectare defence site near Highpoint. They don’t seem to be making much progress towards developing it for housing. Plenty of room for a golf course in there.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if SL went **** up. It doesn’t have enough real members and its got pretty high costs. Until the remaining developers shares are in the hands of real members there has to be some doubt about its soundness as a business.

The developer is now cutting his losses and starting to dump the membership shares it owns. I predict that as this affects the resale market that the price of SL shares will keep plumbing new depths.

I think it really is a good course. But its pretty brutal in high winds. There are lot people who playing it regulalrly will appeal to because either too hard or they just don’t like to be continually punished. I don’t think the fees are unreasonable given the facilities but there are only so many people who are both happy to play there and to pay that kind of money.

I think in the absence of a relocation I don’t think that Medway’s long term future is that good.

While I think you have some very good points I also think you are jumping the gun just a little. Firstly, the reason why Sanctuary Lakes has abnormally high costs is because the developer insists on constant redevelopment as this helps sell the land. All of this money came from fees ie. the clubhouse redevelopment. The club is in a current transition stage as it becomes a sole entity and starts to make it's own decisions so i don't see much more improvements happening in the short term. Now, there are two things imo that will happen, 1. The club will open a pokies section which will generate revenue to the club on a scale not seen before, in fact from my understanding the developer had gained approval for 20 or so pokie machines but decedid not to act on it after backlash from the residents a few years back. 2. Become a primary corporate day venue for any company based in the West. This will help the club stand on it's own two feet moving forward. As for Medway, well after playing there a few weeks ago I have to say that I was extremely disappointed. A very boring lay out that IMO was not very challenging. Also, if it want's to keep up with the times it needs a lot more length.

#40 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:47 PM

Ayds - perhaps Medway could be made much tougher by reducing the Par of the golf course from 70 to say 68 and rerouting many of the holes. Not everyone likes to play windblown lengthy golf courses totally surrounded by houses. Medway may be a different sort of course but from my experience it does have a club feel, something SL doesn't. As for poker machines in golf clubs many have tried this as an additional income stream and been badly burnt, Medway included. Installing 20 poker machines seems like grasping for money, as with the installation of machines comes exta costs and if the return to the provider of the machines is not sufficient they are removed. Rather than rely on gambling money from the community surely it is better for a golf club to stand on its own feet and charge the appropriate annual subscription. When I last played at SL it was starting to look tired and as the developer leaves who will insist that it keeps up to a higher standard? Even noted the clubhouse was looking tired too. How do those who purchased shares at SL feel?

#41 makadokas

makadokas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:06 PM

Casual - I don't think any mounds will be removed from medway. Those on 12 and 11 do protect players from snap hooks off the tee. To be honest I suspect all this mounding is going in to help the older committee members keep there dribbly little drives on the short stuff. I mean the bunker on 14 will only ever get hit by a 260 metre drive, but a 160 metre drive will find a mound and gently roll back to the fairway. That bunker should have been 120 metres long and well shaped.

#42 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:40 AM

As for Medway, well after playing there a few weeks ago I have to say that I was extremely disappointed. A very boring lay out that IMO was not very challenging. Also, if it want’s to keep up with the times it needs a lot more length.
The last thing Medway needs is more length. There is a vast segment of the golfing community that is bored with the modern longer courses which are nothing but dull long slogs with higher maintenance costs. The real problem with Medway is they seemingly aim for mediocrity - and seldom reach it. There hasn't been any decent work done on that course since they did the 8th probably 20 years ago. And that is only just decent. I noticed on a recent visit the greens are once again a shocking mess of overwatered poa, bent and disease, as they are every summer. I've never met a member who doesn't think it is time for the curator to move on. Afterall, he has had 30 years or so to get it right since he came over from Westgate. They have been left eating dust by their peers over the past couple of decades. Unfortunately they seem to be continuing down the quick and dirty inhouse path of construction, with oversized mounding popping up all over the place. The time has come where any future works should be undertaken by a well regarded professional firm rather than continuing to accumulate further future liabilities. Casualgolfer is right, reduce par to 68 and built some interesting greens and you would have an interesting and fun course that caters perfectly to the dominant demographic - the ordinary club golfer. Not sure about your observations on the SL clubhouse Casualgolfer, I have been out there a couple of times over the past six months and they have just completed further changes/renovations to the clubhouse. I thought it looked alright. And the community will never tolerate pokies in the clubhouse.

#43 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12714 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:18 AM

As for Medway, well after playing there a few weeks ago I have to say that I was extremely disappointed. A very boring lay out that IMO was not very challenging. Also, if it want’s to keep up with the times it needs a lot more length.

The last thing Medway needs is more length. There is a vast segment of the golfing community that is bored with the modern longer courses which are nothing but dull long slogs with higher maintenance costs.

The real problem with Medway is they seemingly aim for mediocrity – and seldom reach it. There hasn’t been any decent work done on that course since they did the 8th probably 20 years ago. And that is only just decent. I noticed on a recent visit the greens are once again a shocking mess of overwatered poa, bent and disease, as they are every summer. I’ve never met a member who doesn’t think it is time for the curator to move on. Afterall, he has had 30 years or so to get it right since he came over from Westgate. They have been left eating dust by their peers over the past couple of decades.

Unfortunately they seem to be continuing down the quick and dirty inhouse path of construction, with oversized mounding popping up all over the place. The time has come where any future works should be undertaken by a well regarded professional firm rather than continuing to accumulate further future liabilities. Casualgolfer is right, reduce par to 68 and built some interesting greens and you would have an interesting and fun course that caters perfectly to the dominant demographic – the ordinary club golfer.

Not sure about your observations on the SL clubhouse Casualgolfer, I have been out there a couple of times over the past six months and they have just completed further changes/renovations to the clubhouse. I thought it looked alright.

And the community will never tolerate pokies in the clubhouse.

Drivel.

#44 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37811 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:12 AM

The last thing Medway needs is more length. There is a vast segment of the golfing community that is bored with the modern longer courses which are nothing but dull long slogs with higher maintenance costs.

The real problem with Medway is they seemingly aim for mediocrity – and seldom reach it. There hasn’t been any decent work done on that course since they did the 8th probably 20 years ago. And that is only just decent. I noticed on a recent visit the greens are once again a shocking mess of overwatered poa, bent and disease, as they are every summer. I’ve never met a member who doesn’t think it is time for the curator to move on. Afterall, he has had 30 years or so to get it right since he came over from Westgate. They have been left eating dust by their peers over the past couple of decades.

Unfortunately they seem to be continuing down the quick and dirty inhouse path of construction, with oversized mounding popping up all over the place. The time has come where any future works should be undertaken by a well regarded professional firm rather than continuing to accumulate further future liabilities. Casualgolfer is right, reduce par to 68 and built some interesting greens and you would have an interesting and fun course that caters perfectly to the dominant demographic – the ordinary club golfer.

Not sure about your observations on the SL clubhouse Casualgolfer, I have been out there a couple of times over the past six months and they have just completed further changes/renovations to the clubhouse. I thought it looked alright.

And the community will never tolerate pokies in the clubhouse.

Drivel.

the greatest game ever played

WAFFLE :-))

#45 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12714 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:15 AM

He continually calls my posts drivel, just thought I'd return the favour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users