241 replies to this topic

#16 makadokas

makadokas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:18 AM

Thanks for correcting me there Hawkers. I know Craig Parry used to play at medway as a kid, so perhaps they got some sort of deal. There are a lot of holes at Medway getting mounds on the left hand side of the fairway. I think maybe some of the committee members have a bit of a hooking issue!

#17 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:17 AM

My understanding was that the mounds between 11 and 12 were built to reduce costs of carting soil from the dams offsite. There are plenty of trees separating those fairways without the need for some of the most unsightly mounds on a Melbourne golf course. Wasn't the practice fairway was also raised to not incur costs of carting soil offsite? The mound work on 7 is full of rocks, and again the mounds are not in keeping with the general topography. Absolutely agree the 6th is a real problem as are the boundary issues of the 1st and the 2nd. Can only imagine the problems if a few trees along the 1st or 2nd die, the boundary issues will be very significant and perhaps question the viability of Medway as an 18 hole golf course.. Also understand that when an opportunity came along to buy the vacant land on 3 next to the maintenance shed, the club was not really interested in buying the land unless is was for a 'penny' and has since sold the parcel of land next to the 3rd tee which it owned. For a club on such a restrictive parcel of land, selling land seems to a very questionable move if a secure and sustainable future is the aim. Is there any chance of Ashley Street going though the course in the future? It seems as though the land reserve up the hill from the 14th would easily fit in an extension of Ashley Street. Perhaps Medway & Sunshine merging is worthy of consideration. It would create a very strong club in the western suburbs of Melbourne. Strategically, the two clubs could then develop Medway into a fine 9 hole public golf course for an additional income source to supplement their finances. Surplus land could be sold off and a sustainable future could well be at hand.

#18 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:12 AM

There is a public acquisition overlay over Medway to extend Ashley St to Military Rd. Given the constant traffic chaos around Highpoint and the massive development proposed for the nearby 128ha former defence site you'd have to think it is only a matter of time before the bridge is built. Casulagolfer, they should do that type of deal with Sanctuary Lakes? Never really took off and a much better course than Sunshine. You would suspect the developers out there might be amenable to a deal which got them out of the course as the development winds down.

#19 makadokas

makadokas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:21 AM

There is one line of trees separating 11 and 12. With no branches below head height. 11 doglegs around the trees and players often end up underneath them. A snap hook from the 11th tee would be deadly without those mounds there. There are large fences on the boundary of 1 so if a tree dies it should be covered. I also think 2 is fairly safe, I have never seen anyone get through or over that group of trees to make the road. I hit high and I can't get over them. I'm sure its possible but there is more chance of someone skinnying a wedge on 1 or 12 across the road. The western suburbs does not have many clubs, I doubt any of medway/northern/sunshine will merge, but never say never. I would not be happy joining sunshine as it gets belted by the wind. If Medway sold up I'd probably look at green acres, kew, latrobe, or maybe sanctuary lakes but then I am more on the city side of Medway.

#20 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:26 AM

Have heard that golf balls regularly land in Radio Street alongside the 2nd fairway and it may soon become a boundary issue as residents and pedestrians are becoming very concerned about stray balls. The trees and high fence along the 1st offer very little protection and many golf balls land in the houses weekly. A real safety issue. KitFisto has an excellent suggestion of a move to SL, would be a win / win outcome here. Seems that the Club may also have a new chainsaw as so many trees are being removed. Makadokas - is there still talk of a new clubhouse, new pro shop and a long term expensive levy to fund the new dams, etc. Based on KitFitso's advice of the public acquisition overlay is it time to reconsider all of this and commence consideration of sustainable long term options, the SL suggestion really does sound appealing.

#21 makadokas

makadokas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:48 AM

I haven't heard anything about a levy as yet for either the pro shop or the dams. I'll be happy to pay one for those dams on 4, they will make it a great tee-shot and really bump up the storage levels. All the members want a new clubhouse, but if they get asked to pay a levy they may soon change their mind. I'd be happy to join Sanctuary Lakes, I like the course and its probably another 5 minutes for me to get there, so no great disadvantage. It is a bit more per year, but if Medway joined SL I'd have little choice as I don't rate Northern or Sunshine too highly.

#22 Johncantplay

Johncantplay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:56 AM

Here is an opinion that has been discussed with others outside of this site. PCD seem to deliver courses that very few enjoy playing. However, they continue to get plenty of work, so something doesn't add up. No idea if they are cheaper than others, talk the talk better or what it is, but mounds are mounds are mounds... If done properly, they are ok, but unless there is no other alternative ( eg. saving cost by retaining soil as commented on ) they rarely settle in to look natural. It is a reccurring thread this merger talk. Has one ever gone through ?

#23 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3340 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:31 PM

I couldn't see a merger with SL ever working. Medway members are paying $1,500 odd which all things considered is (depending on your view) at the absolute top end of fair value or somewhat in excess of fair value. SL members are paying $2,500 odd and whilst its a lot of coin, given the nature of the facility I guess its reasonable considering the operating costs for the facility. It is allways going to cost a lot more to maintain SL than more compact clubs like Medway, Northern and Sunshine. And don't forget that existing members paid to buy their shares and in some cases they paid up to $30,000. I think Medway members doing a deal with SL would be pretty unlikely because * the fee differential would more than a lot of their members could stomach * the style of course wouldn't suit some members * the location wouldn't suit some members * their are only 200 odd available memberships at SL owned by the developer. Unless there was a scheme of arrangement in conjunction with an SL insolvency event to create a SL Mark 2 (and in the process shafting existing share owners a second time) short of Medway buying other shares on the open market there will never be enough available memberships to provide the playing rights to all the Medway members. Given the likelihood of the overlays being acted upon at some future point in time perhaps Medway's future best lies with flogging the site and building a new course from scratch. The major stumbling block with that is that they will almost certainly have to go some distance westish to achive that. A merger with another club would be hard to achieve unless the other club was pretty much on its knees.

#24 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:15 AM

Hawkers, would you be surprised if the SL members did their shirts? What do the memberships sell for now? I notice there is one on ebay for the Sandhurst Club starting at $1. There is no reason why those memberships should trade at a level much greater than a typical joining fee, which out that way is probably not much. Does anyone know if there has been any discussions about moving Medway to the 130 hectare defence site near Highpoint. They don't seem to be making much progress towards developing it for housing. Plenty of room for a golf course in there.

#25 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:50 PM

Does Medway have a sustainable future if it is selling raffle tickets? A friend sent me some detail re the latest at Medway and it seems it has got somewhat of a football club feel at present – the club is conducting a raffle for a 12 month - 7 Day Subscription by selling tickets at $10 each. This raffle is open to both members and non members of the club. The Captain states in his newsletter “exciting times are upon us and the course will be transformed over the coming years. With a reliable water supply being the number one priority the board has approved the construction of two new dams on the fourth hole. One in the dog leg and one in the Chewton Street corner. Excavation will commence as soon as permits are obtained and the dams will add approximately 15 mega litres of storage at pump shed level. This will almost double our existing storage capacity of 17 mega litres and the superintendent will not have to stop watering the fairways at the height of summer. Negotiations with Melbourne Water are underway to allow the club to dam the 8th hole. Not only will this dam beautify the area it will make Medway virtually drought proof. A Tree Advisory Group will be developing a Masterplan and looking at the types of trees to be planted over the coming years. New planting of trees along the 17th fairway to replace the dead pine trees will begin shortly. The mounding on the 7th hole should make the hole eminently more playable as well as speeding up play. Once the mounding is completed work will commence in upgrading the area in front of the green. Mounding is being commenced along the 14th to enhance the playability and framing of the hole. Copses of various coloured trees along the mounds will complete the picture. The above hardly suggests exciting times, perhaps consideration of a move over the river or a sell up and merger with another course in the west is better. Spending money on the present site warrants much caution with a road overlay though the site. My mate who is a member there tells me that his playing companions say that as soon as the new levy of some $120/year for a number of years to pay for dams, new clubhouse, new proshop is applied they are off elsewhere!

#26 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:35 AM

$120 a year is nothing. "Copses of various coloured trees along the mounds" sounds much much worse. Is there a golf course in Australia sensible enough to have a sinking fund to pay for items as they need renewal? Probably not as Kingston Heath even let in a stack of new members to help pay for their new clubhouse.

#27 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:25 AM

KitFisto - the $120 pa is for the dams, can only imagine how much extra in levies for the clubhouse, pro shop etc,

#28 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3340 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:24 PM

Hawkers, would you be surprised if the SL members did their shirts? What do the memberships sell for now? I notice there is one on ebay for the Sandhurst Club starting at $1. There is no reason why those memberships should trade at a level much greater than a typical joining fee, which out that way is probably not much.

Does anyone know if there has been any discussions about moving Medway to the 130 hectare defence site near Highpoint. They don’t seem to be making much progress towards developing it for housing. Plenty of room for a golf course in there.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if SL went **** up. It doesn't have enough real members and its got pretty high costs. Until the remaining developers shares are in the hands of real members there has to be some doubt about its soundness as a business. The developer is now cutting his losses and starting to dump the membership shares it owns. I predict that as this affects the resale market that the price of SL shares will keep plumbing new depths. I think it really is a good course. But its pretty brutal in high winds. There are lot people who playing it regulalrly will appeal to because either too hard or they just don't like to be continually punished. I don't think the fees are unreasonable given the facilities but there are only so many people who are both happy to play there and to pay that kind of money. I think in the absence of a relocation I don't think that Medway's long term future is that good.

#29 makadokas

makadokas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:21 AM

I can't see medway moving to the defence site nearby. Surely medway cannot sell their land and have enough profit to buy similar land nearby and then develop it as a course. Unless there is a good reason the land can't be used for residential housing that I am unaware of. Its a shame, because that would be a real win for the club. I also can't see Ashley street being extended in the near future. Traffic isn't that bad on hampstead road...yet. Definitely something that may happen 20 years down the track though. If medway has to move out west it will be a shame, as every course out west ends up being a windswept paddock.

#30 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:54 PM

The defence site is heavily contaminated and the cost of rectification seems to be unknown. And given the rectification process will no doubt involve digging it up and putting it onto thousands of trucks, blowing it all over Melbourne in the process, it is likely to be fraught with danger. Ashley St will get extended at some point, you'd think it would be an absolute monty if the defence site is redeveloped for the 6000 residents (or whatever large number it is). Highpoint is also about to embark upon another large expansion. And every second house seems to be getting knocked over for townhouses, which won't help traffic either. Probably will be 15-20 years When you think about it, it is amazing how badly Medway has done over the years and that people even talk about relocation. It is about 9 ks from the CBD with miles to the nearest competitor. It is nice and short and a relatively easy walk, surely a plus given the golfing demographic. They just have never seemed to get anything right. The place should be booming with excellent facilities by now. How long has the curator been there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users