241 replies to this topic

#1 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:02 AM

Recently watched a pennant match at Medway and thought the course was in fairly good condition. Last time I was there the course was flat, now there is a highly raised practice fairway, plenty of water and some very odd looking mounds along the 12th fairway. Understand that a new course masterplan is about to be enacted - any idea of what is happening.

#2 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:01 AM

Further update - seems more dams, dogleg corners to be waterholed, maybe same architect as other local courses and further mounding with high mounds. Mounds needed to stop ball rolling too far off sloping fairways. Could create a gem out west. Looks like it is to become a water styled golf course. Maybe a new clubhouse too! seems its all happening!! Informant has moved over to Sunshine as he was not in for the changes he was hearing. Seems the market is very competitive out west. Anyone heard of more?

#3 biffnar

biffnar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:43 PM

Yes you are correct, the when and how are still to be worked on. The mounds on the fairway are not odd and often stop my ball from hooking into the water!! The course is solid and often people think cos its short its easy, this is not the case. The issue they have is limited space to lengthen some holes, though having said that there many ways to improve a course without adding distance. I believe there are plenty of 7 days memberships, $500 joining fee and $1400 for subs.

#4 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:35 AM

Thanks biffnar. If there are still plenty of memberships available, how is it proposed to fund the works? Huge levy? Could be a worry! Do you know who the course architect is? As I see it the mounds are so out of character, very high, no grass growing on them and spoil the look of the course. More than anything to me, it seems they needed somewhere to dump some soil when the dams were built, so anywhere in the roughs was good enough. It could be so much better. Hope the plan fixes the 1st, 6th and 13th as they are way too long for their par. By the way, can you give some advice on where the stench comes from when playing the western end of the course.

#5 biffnar

biffnar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:08 AM

Not sure who the archie is. 1 is a fine hole, maybe some bunkering otherwise a good long hole, which is what the course needs. 13 is a cracking hole, whilst long it is very reachable with an iron or a wood as the balls rolls down. 6 is a woeful hole as it lets the course down and most players can't reach the green, unlike 13, the flatness gives no opportunity for aveage golfer to reach green with a driver. I have seen low markers struggle to make bogey!! Stench comes from Pridhams, they make tallow.

#6 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:02 AM

Thanks Biffnar. One has some boundary issues amd damger towards the 12th tee so lets hope the architect rectifies these problems. Agree 6 is not so good, it really is not apar 3 as too often a head wind would be there, similar on 1. Perhaps modifying the golf course to a strong par 68 would be a better option. Nice course that could be made so much better. Perhaps relocate new clubhouse towards entry and out of middle of the golf course and there may be many options. Have the club thought of relocating to land north of Military Road where government is looking at land subdivision? Understand that you have a new General Manager, new thoughts around the club?

#7 biffnar

biffnar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:04 PM

Have not heard about relocating, I think in general most members are happy with the course given proximity and competition and value for money in north west. In general I think most members want to these minor enhancements over the medium term rather dramactic changes, especially after enduring the change in fairways a couple of years back. In general I think people are happy with the new manager, though its early days, he seems like a nce guy.

#8 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24044 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:56 AM

biffnar your old manager, was he the one from tullamarine golf club, who built the big shed (clubhouse) and never finished it? he had to leave before he was turned into a fairway mound. kiwi

#9 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:05 AM

Thanks biffnar, appreciate your comments. Perhaps the new manager will recommend buying the land left side of the 3rd hole, would greatly improve area and even give a potential site for the new clubhouse. Maybe even buy house along boundary, particularly up near 1st green. I'd guess a few balls in the backyards there, especially if a tree or two falls. Understand that land next to 3rd tee already belongs to club so the next paddock would be a good pick up. Always had some fun when I played Medway many years ago, however the land area is just too small.

#10 biffnar

biffnar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:16 AM

Kiwi, no idea, only been a member for year. There is some land availiable along 3rd hole, but dont thinks its all way down.

#11 SJGC

SJGC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:28 PM

Medway is a pretty awful golf course. Huge stands of cypress or pines that need to be chainsawed. Very little strategy off the tee. 6 is flat and has no interest around the green at all. 7 is a disaster with the pinball-tilt fairway. 9 is a too-short par 4.

#12 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 07:53 AM

Looks like Medway has gone mound happy - the 7th fairway has been mounded and now the boundary fence along the 14th is getting similar treatment. Also heard that 2 new dams are being built on the 4th. Looks like changes may be afoot to make this course much better.

#13 Johncantplay

Johncantplay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:36 AM

Kiwi, the previous manager had been at Medway for years & years, so no blame for him at Tulla. However someone is, let me know when you find him....

#14 makadokas

makadokas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:41 AM

The course master plan has been done by pacific coast designs, which is Craig Parry's company. The 7th green has just had its false front leveled out, increases the landing area and gives more pin placement options. The 14th is being bunkered on the west side of the fairway meaning if you don't draw your drives you are probably gonna find it hard. The mounds on the seventh fairway are there to keep balls from rolling down off the fairway into the creek. I think this is more a speed of play issue as this is a bit of a choke point on the course. The mounds on the 12th were put there for the safety of players on the 11th, just as new mounds were put on 18 to help players on 17. The fourth dogleg will be dammed and another dam will be across the fairway for long tee shots, making a tee shot across the corner very tricky. As far as the clubhouse - nothing has been done, and nothing will be done for a few years at least. The pro shop will be done first. Things I'd like to see done that are not in the master plan are: Bunker the left side of the 5th fairway, it slopes right to left and balls too often end up under the trees there. I'd like to see some fairway bunkers with mounded lips on the fairway side to try and push gently rolling balls back to the fairway but catch balls that are hooking. The sixth is a major issue with this course, and nobody has come up with a viable solution, I say make it a reachable par 4, bunker the hell out of the green so it takes a pinpoint shot to land it, and put massive fences up on the driveway so that people don't cause carnage when they pull their tee shots. The seventh tee was re-made recently, but medway missed a great opportunity to move this tee back near the gate and lengthen the hole by about 50 metres. The extra distance may make it a nice risk reward par 5 with a tempting second over the creek. And if it needed extra length, there is 20 metres of nothing land behind the green that culd help move the target back a bit.

#15 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3355 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:35 AM

Actually Pacific Coast Design is Phil Ryan's company and he does the bulk of the design work. Phil's designs seem to have a real feature of mounds (Patterson River, Waterford Valley, Kooringal, Sunshine, Medway, etc) Craig is one of his occasional consultants and for a pretty fat fee he does an editorial review and recomends adjustments. They have had the same relationship at Kooringal and Sunshine as well. Craig also did a similar thing at Hidden Valley before Kooringal but I am not sure if this was a PCD project. From what I heard Caig's work is pretty good quality wise although the fee was apparently pretty hefty for the amount of work done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users