• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JeremyK1372662419

JeremyK1372662419

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

I am trying to find an affordable membership in sydney. Im currently located around the Alexandria area. So far, it seems like eastlakes is the only real 'affordable' course to join. Can anyone recommend anywhere else?

#2 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3356 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:52 AM

If your budget is around Eastlake's asking price then you will have to travel some distance to find any alternative that meets your budget criteria. Eastlake is a decent course and a very friendly club. In the wind the course is no snack. If you want better golf quality combined with a close to Alexandria location then you will need to increase what your willing pay by quite a bit.

#3 JeremyK1372662419

JeremyK1372662419

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 06:09 PM

ok fair enough.. I did enjoy playing at eastlakes. its a good course.

#4 Slappaa

Slappaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:31 AM

Moore Park is a lovely parkside club with some interesting holes. Beware on the 5th if you push it you will have to play it from the lush mangroves.

#5 NUFFIETHEGOLFMAN

NUFFIETHEGOLFMAN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:20 AM

Moore Park isnt too bad and option but I've played better, but if your willing for a trip down the M5, Cabramatta is the most underrated course in all of Sydney! Membership is only $650 per year! I was a member there for 8 years up until 2005! Definitely give it a look, its undulative, plays reasonably long, par 70, 5885 metres, kikuyu fairways, best greens in western sydney and its sooooo cheap! I pay almost $2000 a year in WA to play at Hartfield Country Club and this is one of the cheapest private clubs over here. I miss the value for money of Sydney, you guys should be grateful still being able to get memberships for those prices :)

#6 d_train

d_train

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:19 AM

For me distance plays into this. I think you will enjoy a club that is closer to home - driving in Sydney can be horrendous at times and that is the last thing you want on the weekend if you have also got a family. I joined Moore Park as it is a 5 minute drive from where I live so I actually play more often than if I had to drive 30+ minutes to somewhere like Cabramatta. Also keep in mind there are plenty of metro clubs with open comps, even on the weekend. So you can join Eastlakes or Moore Park and go and play Cabra or New Brighton every now and then in their Sunday comps when you feel like taking on the M5.

#7 sanga

sanga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:31 AM

Welcome Aberlour, Here's something I posted in another, similar thread that may be of help. I was in an similar situation to yourself a year and a half ago. I lived in Alexandria (now Newtown) and was looking for somewhere to join.
I looked extensively at . . . Moore Park, Eastlake, Kogarah and The Coast. I also looked at St. Michaels, Concord and The Lakes. I made sure to play all the courses before I decided and I think you should do the same. Just email the club captain or office and they are usually more than happy to have a prospective member check out the course/ club and set you up with a member for a game.... More Park – Not a bad course but gets way too busy. When I played with some members in the Sat morning comp, the round was enjoyable and about 4.5 hrs long. When I played the next week as a ‘guest’ on a Sun arvo, 9 holes took 4.5 hrs (walked off). The driving range is a big plus, especially under lights. Kogarah – OK course, plays a little short even off the back tees. Nicely maintained, pretty straight, flat layout. All about putting yourself in the right position. Was an extremely slow round when playing during the public access times 6.5hrs! Word is they are doing some course renovations at the moment and possibly an amalgamation is also on the cards, so you would have to see if this suits your short/ long term plans. I was surprised when I found out the fees, IMHO way too expensive for what it is. The Coast – Nice scenery, course OK. A couple of absolutely terrific holes (the par 3 over the cliffs comes to mind), however; there are some dreadful holes too. Overall, the course is a bit short, very open and OK condition wise. From my experience, it is very very busy with regard to members comps (but then again, where isn’t?). I had to get in 2 weeks in advice in order to play on a Sat morning. Membership seems friendly enough albeit older… Eastlake – Played there a fortnight ago on a Sunday arvo and it was very different to how it was a year ago when I was thinking of joining. For one, the condition of the course has decreased quite a bit, but is still not too bad. The greens were rock hard and patchy (water problem?) and the rest not very well maintained. And, they now have a walkway above Southern Cross drive to take you from one side of the course to the other and back again which was desperately needed. Out of all the clubs I was considering, I was closest to joining Eastlake for the following reasons: 1) Price – absolute bargain compared with other inner Sydney clubs. 2) Membership seem good – Members were nicest that I played with bar none. DTE working-class golf club, good social attitude in the club house. Young as well as older members. However, a bit pokies-centric. 3) Challenging course – Playing off the back tees, elevated greens and the **** fairways adds a bit of length to the course, not to mention, well designed holes will make you a better player playing there regularly. 4) Never was busy and the round was always quick and pleasant. 5) When you play there you can see that they have 2 (I think) spare holes (par 3s) that are not currently in play. This means that if there is ever course works going on, you will be playing a ‘full’ golf course rather than a par 5 made into 2 holes replete with mown fairway temporary green. I didn’t join Eastlake due to the lack of practice facilities: the putting green is tiny and the (now non-existent) chipping green was not much bigger. I also wanted somewhere that there was a designated driving range where I could hit my own practice balls etc. Best advice I can give is try before you buy (play with some members in a comp), choose somewhere that suits your needs and a course that you enjoy playing. Best of luck with it!

#8 kizza

kizza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:19 AM

Where did you end up joining sanga??

#9 sanga

sanga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:04 AM

Just realised how old this thread is, late night posting! Kizza, I joined at Bonnie Doon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users