160 replies to this topic

#46 bone19

bone19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:08 AM

having been in perth for 3 years since moving from melbourne, im getting used to this north/south of the river divide. As a fremantle resident i could not see myself joining a goat grazing course north of the river hahahahahaha....... in all seriousness, if i could justify the nomination fee, which at the moment i can but shouldnt, are there many better courses around that will cost me less?

#47 cummo_3

cummo_3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:25 AM

just a outsider reading this thread, but where does the cut fit in? or is it too far away?

#48 Tigers_Wood

Tigers_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:05 AM

in all seriousness, if i could justify the nomination fee, which at the moment i can but shouldnt, are there many better courses around that will cost me less?
Melville Glades, though the course isn't the same standard as Freo. Kwinana is probably equal as course quality goes and a lot cheaper. Haven't played Freo in a long time though so not sure how it stacks up today. @ Cummo - The Cut is miles away really. I live in Freo and it's still a good 1 hour drive so add another 15 minutes from Perth CBD. Kennedy Bay and Secret Harbour are about 20-30 minutes closer on the same road.

#49 bone19

bone19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:41 AM

Wow, Kwinana is $800 cheaper per year for a 7day. im just curious, any idea what the joining fee would be? inevitably i think if i do bite the bullet and join a club it will be Freo as im more likely to get some practice in after work due to it being 5min drive from home.

#50 Tigers_Wood

Tigers_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:48 AM

Think the joining fee is less than $500, I did enquire at one point but can't seem to find it on email. I'm sure you can keep practicing at Freo though even without a membership. Otherwise have a look at Murdoch Pines range, it's floodlit til 9pm weeknights. Edit: Joining fee is $200

#51 Tupac

Tupac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:16 AM

Why join a private club I ask ? I have since discovered the WA SGA golf tour and they offer tournaments every fortnight and the cost is way less than a private club. Also you get to play a descent number of courses in Perth.

#52 Tigers_Wood

Tigers_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:25 AM

SGA is okay if you like to play on Sundays, which I can't. Perth Golf Network is a good option also as they have events every day, they seem to get decent numbers at each event too.

#53 Goodbye

Goodbye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:52 AM

just a outsider reading this thread, but where does the cut fit in? or is it too far away?

And it it ****. RF is nice enough, and can afford to charge what it does due to the lack of decent courses around. I would have it a rung, maybe half a rung, above Kwinana.

#54 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:02 AM

Bit harsh. The cut is ok for that once a year hit and giggle, but not something you could play every weekend RF is very much underrated I think - very pleasant day out, although to be fair, no where near as good as it could or should be given their land.

#55 Goodbye

Goodbye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

The Cut is not ****, it is just massively overrated and has the worst hole that I have played. Agree on RF, that place could really be something if they put their minds and wallets to it.

#56 Tigers_Wood

Tigers_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

Agree on RF, that place could really be something if they put their minds and wallets to it.
I think if you took the greenskeeper from Kwinana and sent him to RF it would move up the rankings in WA. The thing with RF is, that it's what you'd expect for what you pay. It's solid without being excellent. So Yoss, what would you rate as the top course in WA then?

#57 Goodbye

Goodbye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

The conditioning at RF has been fine most of the times I have played it, which is only 10 or so, so not sure Kwinana's greenskeeper is the answer. I was more driving at a decent architect and some serious tree removal could see RF being awesome, the site has the elevation change already. Top course in WA is clearly LK. Close second IMO is Kennedy Bay. After that it gets a bit trickier.

#58 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:48 AM

Mount Lawley pretty good, but I still get cranky with them for wimping out on their renovation. RF is somewhat old fashioned - it was always just a good old members course and they never really saw any need to fiddle with it. They had no delusions of granduer and were happy with the place as it was - you have to respect that.

#59 4for4

4for4

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:57 AM

well said northerner, although also agree with the comment about kwinana's green keeper doing an awesome job, with what would probably be a much smaller budget then RF. The cut definately is over-rated, saw the ranking in last month's Golf Australia mag and just shook my head. I think an under-rated course in WA has to be Araluen. Has a layout equal to that of Joondalup IMO. Just still suffering from public perception about the quality of the conditioning. For those that don't know, about 6-7 years ago a massive bush fire swept through the Araluen area. The fire fighters used the water from the golf course's damns to fight the fire, so once the fire was gone there was nothing left for the green keepers up there to work with, plus the next winter was the driest on record which mean't the course basically went without water for 2 years and obviously suffered big time. But the course is back to its best again now and rates as one of my top spots to play in Perth. Plus the fantastic bar and club facilities, with views over the whole Perth metro area, couldn't ask for much in a golf club. Other than being a bit closer so i can play it every weekend :)

#60 4for4

4for4

Sir

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:59 AM

Tigers_Wood - where do you play your golf?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users