160 replies to this topic

#31 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:46 AM

$3300 per year for full male and nomination of $9000. Plus about $700 spent in the bar and bistro over the year (never a problem if you are a regular). this is the highest of the perth clubs, but not by a huge margin, and for that you get the main championship course, a 9 hole short course, full sized gass range, chipping greens, tennis courts, pool, great restraurant, plus reciprocal rights to the likes of Royal Melbourne and that ilk. Not as posh as you might think - yes it has all the movers and shakers of Perth, but lots of normal folk as well. Because of the wide range of facilties and the short course, it can cater to kids and others without impacting on the main course, and so you would be surprised to the degree to which it is nothing more than a local family club for those living in the northern beaches area of perth, Dalkeith laywers are in the minority

#32 IDGolfguy

IDGolfguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1344 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:11 AM

Didn't know about the pool etc. - and not as pricey as i expected. A lot due to local myth and lack of information. Have not played there only walked it the last JW they had there. Do they have open days?

#33 IDGolfguy

IDGolfguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1344 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:36 AM

A bit of a distance for me to get full value - considering the Vines is walking distance.

#34 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

Karrinyup was no more immune to the changing demographics of golf as were any other clubs. About 5 or 6 years ago i guess they realised that the average age of members was between about 65 and death, and being a hilly and physically demanding course, they would have a game, a shandy afterward and toddle off home. It was not financially viable to continue as an old white mans club. The requirement for 7 nominations was too daunting for most new members and the place was getting stale. So they starting to make it easier for men to find those sponsors and really fired up the junior program. Now you cant swing a 5 iron without hitting a gaggle of scantilly clad 17 year old girls and their boyfriends heading out for a round. Last time i was in town they had a bloody bouncy castle on the practice green. Sure it is still an old money club, but old money is not what it used to be.

#35 IDGolfguy

IDGolfguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1344 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:26 AM

Sign of the times. I notice that they do their corporate days too.

#36 iloveadmin

iloveadmin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:40 AM

Scantilly clad girls and golf?? How much to join :)

#37 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:26 AM

Well, scantilly compared to what i would be required to wear..... which is a good thing. However I think membership is pretty full now, getting in may be tougher than in the last few years.

#38 DaveT

DaveT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 04:00 AM

I would have to say that for the best price and access in your area Rob, I’d have to say Lakelands CC could be your best option. I’m playing there this Sunday in comp with my reciprocal rights with Hartfield CC and is a reason why I’d also throw Hartfield into your hatfull of choices. Its cheaper than Lakelands on a yearly basis, subs are $1750 and you get reciprocal rights with Lakelands, Wanneroo, Gosnells, Melville Glades and Royal Fremantle on a Sunday :). On the Roe/Tonkin Hwys it cant be too far out of your way to get there either. It takes me 15 mins from Morley.

Forget Mount Lawley too, its way overrated and Lake Karrinyup’s $15,000 joining fee is a joke. Seaview isn’t much to right home about either unless you love the wind blowing all the time. It rates too easy in comp ACR too which makes it a waste of time going there. Cottesloe is very “clicky” to get into but some even say is not such a great course and that Seaview is even better. Wanneroo I found a bit too challenging to play every week but is a great course, once in a while to play is fine but it punnishes your morale in thel long term if you keep playing it poorly. Wanneroo is in the Kennedy Bay/WAGC category for me – tough tracks that bring you back to earth. I’d be considering Lakelands CC or Hartfield CC if I was you. Hope this helps.

“The harder I practice the luckier I get”

Cleveland Hibore XL 9.5* Grafalloy Blue
"" 15* Grafalloy Blue
"" 19* Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue
Cleveland TA2 – 3 to PW True Temper TX90
Cleveland 588 DSG + RTG 54* and 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 putter

Why do you say Mount Lawley is way overrated Nuffie? When did you last play there? I don't think ML has a waiting list at present & I heard the other day that Karrinyup only require 3 referees now and once you amortise the nomination fee it's not bad value>

#39 A1984

A1984

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:09 AM

A bouncy castle on LK's practice green! I have been a member there since I was very young (non active now, haven't been out there since 2001) and would love to see something like this. I believe having juniors around a golf club creates a great atmosphere

#40 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

I always liked ML, although i thought they wasted a wonderful opportunity to make it quite something. Good routing, but greens and bunkers were always ordinary. They did all the hard work in getting the members to agree to a renovation, but then got cold feet and only did a half arsed job. Its nice, but could have been fabulous if they had had the guts to really make the greens and traps really bold and interesting. Fun to play but rather sad to think what it could have been had they the guts. I think hell would freeze over before LK reduced its required number of referees but i could be wrong

#41 dilly

dilly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:58 AM

Hey all, Just searching through some info on golfing in Perth & came across this thread which happens to be just the question i was gonna ask,kinda... Im moving to Perth in a few months & have decided to find a golf club before i find a job lol.I'll be staying in Ardross & would like to join a club.Whats out there for me to choose from ? Preferably with as little travel as possible.I will try to play all available courses when i get into the swing of things (pun intended) but eventually i would like to settle at a club & meet new peeps & play good golf. I try to practice & play atleast 2 or 3 times a week & play pennants over here in N.Z so its obviously an addiction :) Any help is greatly appreciated.

#42 Trickshot239

Trickshot239

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3560 posts
  • LocationA bit South of North of here

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:31 AM

Dilly, you have my deepest sympathy - you have two of the greatest afflictions known to mankind - you are addicted to golf and you are a Kiwi. Keep your chin up and best of luck !

#43 Chucksta1372662348

Chucksta1372662348

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:40 AM

How comes no one mentioned Royal Fremantle?

#44 bone19

bone19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:31 AM

How comes no one mentioned Royal Fremantle?

im wondering the same thing. RF doesnt seem to be spoken about in the same vein as some of the other clubs in perth. what's wrong with it?

#45 Tigers_Wood

Tigers_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:01 AM

I think the bottom line is that it's expensive, I think the nomination fee is over $3k these days. I don't think they're hurting for members so it doesn't look like they'll discount their noms or subs anytime soon either. So while it is a great course, I think it's far too costly. Personally if I was considering 3k for noms, I'd proably pay 5k and join Mt Lawley.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users