46 replies to this topic

#31 MegaWatty

MegaWatty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1778 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:54 AM

So if Kennedy Bay was moved 100 or so metres to the edge of the coast, it would be links land? Or is it not Links land because it's not "duney" enough?

#32 spooky

spooky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:12 PM

null

So if Kennedy Bay was moved 100 or so metres to the edge of the coast, it would be links land? Or is it not Links land because it’s not “duney” enough?

No it still wouldnt be a true links golf course even if it was built along that stretch of ocean, although I havent been there it doesnt look like from the pic of Kennedy Bay that there is enough true links land there for a whole golf course. NSW golf club is built adjoining the ocean but it is acknowledged that it also is not a true links golf course. 13th Beach has about 7 holes that play like true links type holes but it is set away from the ocean so also cant be classified as a true links course. Here is a couple more pics to highlight Barnbougles true links course nature, on the ocean, huge natural dunes (not man made) beautiful rippling fairways with lots of humps and hollows. null

#33 spooky

spooky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:39 PM

Another way of looking at it is that if Kennedy Bay, Moonah Links etc were true links courses they would all be ranked and regarded a lot higher than what they are. Finding true links land is like finding a pot of gold, theres hardly any of it left in the world any more. I walked Barnbougle a few time before the course had been built and came on to this website 6 years ago and posted that Barnbougle would become of of the greatest golf courses in the world (was laughed at by most!!) But when you see true links land of this quality it is breathtaking, and I have the same feeling walking around the Lost Farm, it is just mind blowing how good the land is there for golf. Bill Coore will build another top 30 golf course in the world, so side by side there will be two of the greatest golf courses ever buit in the world. And it is purely that they are built on true links land that this could happen...

#34 MegaWatty

MegaWatty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1778 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:48 PM

Thanks Spooky. Here's another one for you. Although it may not be a world beater. How about Dunk Island/Hamiton Island. Would that be considered Links Land? Not trying to hassle or take away from the Barnbougle thread. Just get a better understanding of the Links Land theory. I am dying to get to Barnbougle shortly!!!

#35 spooky

spooky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:03 PM

Thanks Spooky.

Here’s another one for you. Although it may not be a world beater. How about Dunk Island/Hamiton Island. Would that be considered Links Land? Not trying to hassle or take away from the Barnbougle thread. Just get a better understanding of the Links Land theory.

I am dying to get to Barnbougle shortly!!!

Dont think it's even in the top 500 courses in Australia so it wouldnt be a links course. One I didnt think of is the Cut in WA, I havent played there but it does look very much like links land to me, but I have read that it still isnt a true links course. null

#36 MegaWatty

MegaWatty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1778 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 12:03 AM

Only half of The Cut is Links land I reckon. Half of it is filled with houses. The 12th will rate up there with any Links hole in this country I reckon. Hamilton Island (Dent Island - Not Dunk as I said earlier) is yet to open. It sits pretty high up on the island. Hamo Golf Course Thomson Perret Web Site with pics Design Layout

#37 bradharro

bradharro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 12:06 AM

Thanks Spooky.

Here’s another one for you. Although it may not be a world beater. How about Dunk Island/Hamiton Island. Would that be considered Links Land? Not trying to hassle or take away from the Barnbougle thread. Just get a better understanding of the Links Land theory.

Dont think it’s even in the top 500 courses in Australia so it wouldnt be a links course. One I didnt think of is the Cut in WA, I havent played there but it does look very much like links land to me, but I have read that it still isnt a true links course.

null

Are you saying all true links courses have to be ranked to a certain standard to be considered authentic? Im sure theres courses in the UK that are built on pure links ground that havent got the membership base and therefore money to firstly build and secondly maintain there course to such a ranking.

#38 spooky

spooky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:24 AM

Thanks Spooky.

Dont think it’s even in the top 500 courses in Australia so it wouldnt be a links course. One I didnt think of is the Cut in WA, I havent played there but it does look very much like links land to me, but I have read that it still isnt a true links course.

null

Are you saying all true links courses have to be ranked to a certain standard to be considered authentic?

Im sure theres courses in the UK that are built on pure links ground that havent got the membership base and therefore money to firstly build and secondly maintain there course to such a ranking.

Not quite saying that, but a true links will automatically be regarded more highly purely because its a links course. Consider this that less than 1% of all golf courses in the world are links courses, however 20% of the top 100 courses in the world are links courses. So what I am saying is; and it's purely hypothetical is that if a poorly designed course was built on pure links land then it would still most likely find it's way into the top 10 courses in the Australia simply because it was on links land. The Cut is a perfect example, by all accounts it's not a great design but is ranked 16th in Australia because it's built on land that is similar to links land.

#39 Crippsy

Crippsy

Suspect

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:17 AM

We played in late June 09. Weather turned out to be great. It was bucketing down when we left Launceston at 5.30am but out there it was fine. The sun came out throught the mist at around 9am and it was out all day. We played 47 holes (as long as the light would permit) so you can easily get in two rounds. I advise playing on a weekday as it is supposed to be less busy. It was deserted on the Friday that we played which added to the whole experience. The wind was moderate but not enough to spoil game. Excellent day all in. You cant really see any of the Lost Farm until you hit holes 15 and 16 of the Dunes. From what we saw there didnt look to be a lot of grass on it but the shaping looked to have been completed. If it is anything like Dunes it is a must play!

#40 Matt99

Matt99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1009 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:43 AM

Any time, The Dunes. Any. Time.

#41 aussiedave

aussiedave

Suspect

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:10 AM

Played at Barnbougle yesterday - the pro said they were just finishing the last hole at the new Lost Farm course, but that it would take approx 1 year to get it ready to play, so recon on Sept/Oct 2010. He did say that in his opinion, it would be 25% better than the existing course & if thats so, then the little town of Bridport will probably become a real golfing mecca for Tasmania. Great place for a lads golfing trip, but for couples or mixed groups I think they need to add a spa or something for the ladies to do - my wife was OK with me playing one round, but 2-3 days there would have been pushing it a bit I think !

#42 Trickshot239

Trickshot239

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3560 posts
  • LocationA bit South of North of here

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:17 AM

The Cut at Dawesville, just south of Mandurah is. I've played both it and Barnbougle. Barnbougle is better but the Cut is still a fantastic track and every bit as linksy as Barny.

#43 KitFisto

KitFisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:31 AM

He did say that in his opinion, it would be 25% better than the existing course
They always say that. My favorite was when the Moonah course opened at The National and everyone was saying the Ocean course would be even better.

#44 HOLMINATION

HOLMINATION

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:04 AM

Peterborough. An hour and a half East of Port Fairy. Only 9 holes. Most true links course I have played in the country. I have played both Port Fairy and Barny, Peterborough has greens like barny which blend into the fairways, all natural shrub. Every hole has an ocean view and the fairways and rough are all natural. Not on the same level of quality as Barny or Port Fairy, but a gem of a little course. (sorry about the photo quality, the par 3 6th green to the top left of screen must be reached by hitting over the ocean)

#45 BoxerDog444

BoxerDog444

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

Walked the Lost Farm recently I don't think that Barnbougle has anything to worry about the Lost Farm being better. The Lost Farm area has some good holes don't get me wrong but loses the linksy feel on a few holes . Don't think it will get anywhere near Barnbougle for the true links course that Barnbougle is. I think they used all the really awesome dunes on Barnbougle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users