46 replies to this topic

#16 spooky

spooky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:04 PM

we played 5 rounds, 3 nights at course, airfares from sydney, hire car for 4 of of us. it came to around $900 per person including food and stuff. worth every $$.
we flew jetstar and our clubs and gear in a big travel bag were a tad over 20kg but they let it slide. plus a carry on and you are ok.
the lost farm looked a long way from finished. looked like all excavation done but no sign of any grass.
pic of my tee shot on #5 par 3.

The Lost Farm is more than half completed with 11 holes fully grassed with the other 9 (two extra holes for good measure) ready to go. They were talking about a soft opening by the end of this year with 9 holes open for play.

#17 nathanw79

nathanw79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:43 AM

Barnbougle looks amazingly good. i'd love to play it. I love the links style, shame there aren't more of them around sydney

#18 spooky

spooky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:31 AM

There's no links courses around Sydney...Barnbougle and The Lost Farm will be the only true links courses in Australia.

#19 armygolf

armygolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3786 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:01 AM

There’s no links courses around Sydney…Barnbougle and The Lost Farm will be the only true links courses in Australia.

Wollongong would be the closest to links wouldnt it?

#20 rockatansky

rockatansky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2014 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:06 AM

There’s no links courses around Sydney…Barnbougle and The Lost Farm will be the only true links courses in Australia.

Wollongong would be the closest to links wouldnt it?

If you build it, they will come.

port fairy?

#21 spooky

spooky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:37 PM

I havent played there, but many people do say that Port Fairy is close to being a links course but still not quite a true links course. But yes apart from BD and the LF Port Fairy is Australias only other course that could be considered as a links type course.

#22 Kransky

Kransky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:58 AM

Barwon Heads.

#23 spooky

spooky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 08:00 AM

Barwon Heads.

Nope!! not even close...

#24 Kransky

Kransky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:21 AM

you have no idea

#25 spooky

spooky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:04 AM

you have no idea

I love Barwon Heads but it's nowhere near true links golf.

#26 MegaWatty

MegaWatty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1778 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:14 AM

Kennedy Bay doesn't rate as Links? Interested to hear the definitions as to why or why not.

#27 MegaWatty

MegaWatty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1778 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:23 AM

By the way. That Lost Farm site looks awesome! There will simply be no reason in 2010 that I don't venture across to Tassy for a family holiday full of golf for me! No wonder Ben Crenshaw is smiling!!! Blog PIC 1 PIC 2 PIC 3 PIC 4 Sorry if they've been posted elsewhere!

#28 spooky

spooky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:16 AM

Kennedy Bay doesn’t rate as Links?

Interested to hear the definitions as to why or why not.

A links course is built on land that links the ocean to fertile land, so a true links course is built on the very land that joins the ocean. Lots of sand dunes perfect for golf with lots of bumps and hollows but useless land for anything else. Thats why 400 years ago when they first started building golf courses they built them on links land, but eventually true links land became rare so they had to start building parkland and heathland type courses. Kennedy bay is not built on the true links land that adjoins the ocean, similar to the melbourne penninsula courses ie Moonah Links and the National courses which are also not built on the land that joins the ocean but are set away from the ocean on pasture land not links land.

#29 spooky

spooky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:22 AM

Here you can see the difference. Barnbougle built on the land that joins the ocean, but not just that it is true fair dinkum links land... null Kennedy bay not buit on land that joins the ocean, and not true genuine links land. null

#30 spooky

spooky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:32 AM

This overhead also highlights Barnbougle being built on the slither of links land that joins the ocean. Whereas Kennedy bay in the piccy above is built on the land that is further to the left in comparison... null

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users