46 replies to this topic

#1 fred5050

fred5050

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:28 AM

My brother is getting hitched and he wants to go to Barny before with the boys. Has anyone played there in June? I know it is sketchy with the weather then. Any info appreciated.

#2 bradjfowler

bradjfowler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:33 AM

I have... It was very, very windy, but the course was beautiful and I thoroughly enjoyed my game. Would recommend a hack there any time of the year. Cheers.

#3 lightning

lightning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:47 AM

My brother is getting hitched and he wants to go to Barny before with the boys. Has anyone played there in June? I know it is sketchy with the weather then.
Any info appreciated.

Awesome anytime mate - just pack a few extra balls!!

#4 rockatansky

rockatansky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2014 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:08 AM

just my 20 cents worth draprokopr I played there in may 2007 & copped a really windy day. i don't reckon i could see the pill i was hitting cos i had tears in my eyes from the wind for the 1st 4 holes. spoke to the one of the greenkeepers & he said i just copped a **** day for wind, normally ok that time of year with sep/oct usually windy. don't know if he was just taking the piss or what. Maybe you need a local to answer about june weather?

#5 tassimike

tassimike

tassimke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • Locationlaunceston

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:48 AM

Being a local, having played 3 times at different times of the year, I would suggest you get there before 10am and not worry about the month you go. As the man said take plenty of balls, I mean both types and enjoy.

#6 CarlosMonarrez

CarlosMonarrez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:31 PM

Mate I made the trip for a 4-day long weekend at the start of June last year. Phenomenal. Don't hesitate. In terms of wind, I've played many times at different times of the year and haven't had a round where the wind had a negative impact yet. No doubt it changes your club selections on a couple of the holes but isn't that what we want - holes that get you thinkin? I've been told from those who know that serious wind only hinders play maybe a couple of weeks per year. Total. Wish your brother all the best for me cheers

#7 lucidair

lucidair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2023 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:07 PM

I read today that they are going to build another 18 holes at Barnbougle called Barnbougle: the Lost Farm - going to built across the river from the other course. Ben Crenshaw and Bill Coore are the builders.

#8 fred5050

fred5050

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:23 PM

So we went on June 1st and played 90 holes in 3 days. The weather was great. Day 1 was around 15* with high cloud and only a breath of wind. Day 2 sunny and no wind. Day 3 rained a little in morning with a bit of breeze. Seems we got lucky with the weather!! Loved the course and would definitely go back.

#9 spooky

spooky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:46 AM

So we went on June 1st and played 90 holes in 3 days. The weather was great. Day 1 was around 15* with high cloud and only a breath of wind. Day 2 sunny and no wind. Day 3 rained a little in morning with a bit of breeze. Seems we got lucky with the weather!!
Loved the course and would definitely go back.

Great stuff!! I've played there around 100 times at all times of the year, and winter is actually the best time to play. Nice calm (crisp n cold) sunny days are very common. Ps, the Lost Farm is going to be awesome, walked it a couple of times and it has the potential to be even better than Barnbougle...

#10 GunnerGolf

GunnerGolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:25 PM

So we went on June 1st and played 90 holes in 3 days. The weather was great. Day 1 was around 15* with high cloud and only a breath of wind. Day 2 sunny and no wind. Day 3 rained a little in morning with a bit of breeze. Seems we got lucky with the weather!!
Loved the course and would definitely go back.

Has anyone done this trip from Sydney? How much did the flight cost to get you and the clubs over? I want to make this trip and need to convince a couple of mates to come with me. Date for Lost Farm opening is Oct'2010 so I've got some time on that one!

#11 Malvern

Malvern

Not a Queenslander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:51 PM

Gunner, Have done the trip a couple of times, usual thing with cost, book far enough in advance and the flights are cheaper. From memory the flights dont work too well (imewise) and its Jetstar so anything over 20kgs and they hit you hard. It is worth staying on course, restaurant out there is great although the town is OK, couple of pubs. Fly into Launceston and hire a car if its just the weekend specially if you are not staying on course. Pretty sure they run a bus, but may work out cheaper with 4 in the car? Have gone via Hobart as well, played Royal Hobart (great course) and Tasmania (looks good but so/so condition), Barnbougle for two days and home via Launceston. Great trip.

#12 HotPies

HotPies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1712 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:06 AM

take a jumper or 3, it gets bloody cold

#13 TurfN3rd

TurfN3rd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:08 PM

I read today that they are going to build another 18 holes at Barnbougle called Barnbougle: the Lost Farm – going to built across the river from the other course. Ben Crenshaw and Bill Coore are the builders.

Golf forever, work never!

The Lost Farm is almost finished, Mike Clayton has said it will be open for play next year. Supposedly it will blow the Dunes course away

#14 bradharro

bradharro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:23 PM

Does anybody know when next year 'the lost farm' will be open for play?

#15 fred5050

fred5050

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:45 AM

we played 5 rounds, 3 nights at course, airfares from sydney, hire car for 4 of of us. it came to around $900 per person including food and stuff. worth every $$. we flew jetstar and our clubs and gear in a big travel bag were a tad over 20kg but they let it slide. plus a carry on and you are ok. the lost farm looked a long way from finished. looked like all excavation done but no sign of any grass. pic of my tee shot on #5 par 3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users