51 replies to this topic

#31 Andre28

Andre28

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:33 AM

Mate we are in Sydney unfortunately. Ill let him know. If he is still keen would you consider posting?

#32 Wodda

Wodda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1179 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:48 AM

Sure, I can post 'em.... the clubs are in excellent condition except the PW which has a couple of light scratches on the base from a rough lie in a comp. If I hadn't been playing comp I would not have hit off the crap the ball had landed on!!! Scratches are only light as I said.

#33 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12437 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:06 AM

To all those that sent pics thanks very much most appreciated. Currently trying to decide the whole 2nd hand vs new option. Danny at HOG Keilor offered me a full set of Nicklaus Ballista's for $650, fully fitted, lie adjusted and gripped. But I can't find any info/reviews on them anywhere. Anyone got an opinion on the clubs/deal?

#34 the_Plumber

the_Plumber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:51 PM

Did you have a hit with them? If so how did they feel? Have you hit any others you didn't like?

#35 YoungBoy

YoungBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:54 AM

Hi there mate, Check your email. I am selling the iron set you were interested in last week. Hear from you soon

#36 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12437 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:31 AM

Hey Rohan, I only hit the one set (5i & 1W) and told him I needed to compare them to a few more sets. The clubs felt OK but it was hard to tell as it was on the back of a long round at Yarrambat in the sun so was a bit weary. The driver felt OK and I managed to crush a couple. A few nice tips from him also about getting rid of a fade which was a bonus! I need to hit a few more to see what feels good. This world of offsets, shafts, torque and COR is quite new! To be honest I've always been a 'feel' golfer, so I need to find a balance. I'm just very dubious about buying a set of irons that I can't find a single review or plug for on the net. Doesn't inspire me with confidence! Thanks Taj, I'll email you a bit later.

#37 selks131372662232

selks131372662232

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

To Marnic: Mate definitely interested in those Nike irons if you still have them for sell. Let me know if it's still available.

#38 the_Plumber

the_Plumber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

Hey Rohan,
I only hit the one set (5i & 1W) and told him I needed to compare them to a few more sets.

The clubs felt OK but it was hard to tell as it was on the back of a long round at Yarrambat in the sun so was a bit weary. The driver felt OK and I managed to crush a couple. A few nice tips from him also about getting rid of a fade which was a bonus!

I need to hit a few more to see what feels good. This world of offsets, shafts, torque and COR is quite new! To be honest I’ve always been a ‘feel’ golfer, so I need to find a balance.

I’m just very dubious about buying a set of irons that I can’t find a single review or plug for on the net. Doesn’t inspire me with confidence!

Thanks Taj, I’ll email you a bit later.

Sounds to me like a little bit more shopping around is needed?

#39 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12437 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:56 PM

Arvo Gang, Well a set has been bought. First of all thanks to all those who offered me their second hand clubs and took the time to send through some photos. I really appreciate it and the information provided was invaluable. I just decided that if I could get something new for around the same price which came with a warranty and a place to return it to, it just felt easier parting with my hard earned. Firstly the driver. Well surprisingly (to me anyhow) I went the Nicklaus Ballista for $150 and pick it up this afternoon. I hit it alongside a new release Mizuno 560 which was double the price so I did have a 'high end' driver to compare it to. And although the Mizuno was a great, I couldn't notice any great difference betwen that and the NB. I just don't think my game is anywhere near the level that requires the top equipment. So for half the price I got what felt like a similar driver and left enough change to sort out a putter when I go out there this afternoon to pick up the Big Stick. Danny has been excellent with advice and insight also. As for irons, well what an ordeal. First of all I gave the NB irons the flick. Didn't feel that great, and had read nothing about them. Sometimes I hate being a fussy pedantic b*stard. After a few nights looking at the pics of peoples secondhand clubs, I spent a few nights reading over the Lind forum, as well as pouring over their website testamonials and literature. I guess I was (and still am) nervous about buying sight unseen. But in the end I couldn't go past the overwhelming support on the forum from a number of widespread ISG'ers. Would've loved a test day, but I doubt it is coming to Melbourne anytime soon. So I took the punt this morning and ordered a set of Apache Pro Irons, Apache Mk2 hybrid and 60deg Lind Wedge. All with their money back guarantee, 1 year warranty, upsized grips, and delivered for ~$480 I couldn't argue with the basics. If there was no reviews, no support, no testamonials I doubt I would have gone down that path. The way I look at it until I drop my handicap down into double figures, there is no need for clubs that can be 'worked', 'shaped' or 'macrobiotically formulated'. I just need a solid set of clubs that will allow me greater confidence (afterall golf is 137% in your head) whilst I try and get out on the course more. I look forward to getting the Apaches and having a hit with the as soon as they arrive. Once again thanks to all and sundry on here who provided their two cents worth. Stay tuned in the Lind forum for my review in a week or so's time.

#40 marnic

marnic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:01 AM

Selks, drop me a line if you want to chat re the Nike Irons, mntgolf@gmail.com

#41 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:03 AM

Well done Smerg Never an easy decision particularly if you are new or out of touch with the game...I think you have done well and if all reviews are anything to go by you wont look back....as time goes on you might look at upgrading your driver and or woods but the irons will do you for a while... What shaft are they giving you with the driver as its as much about that as it is about the head?

#42 the_Plumber

the_Plumber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:09 AM

Nice work Smerg. Hope it works out. Like I said before, if you ever wanna give these news clubs a bash at either Marsh course let us know.

#43 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12437 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:26 AM

Thanks guys. Walrus: Not new to the game just looking to up my rounds per year from around 2/3 last year to 20-25 this year. I can't remember the shaft's name but I did have a look at it, pretending I knew what I was talking about. It is a stiff flex which suited my fast swing and towards the bottom of the bucket was managing to get it to go 'reasonably' straight. Well comparitively! And yes, a wood upgrade will be on the cards, and the hybrid is an experiment (notice I was a little late to buy yours!). Rohan mate, would love a hit, either on the West course or the Darley course. When do you hit the most? Weekends? After work?

#44 the_Plumber

the_Plumber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1417 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:39 AM

Both Weekends and after work (during Day light saving). Weekends are a little tight at the moment due to playing Cricket as well (Though 18 holes in the morning and an afternoon of cricket makes for a good saturday!) Maybe one evening after work out at Darley (I'll take any excuse to play out there as its condition far better than the West course at the moment) When do you expect to get the new sticks?

#45 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:43 AM

Make sure you know what shaft it has and that you are happy with it before you pick it up....Might be worth ringing to check as some shafts are a bit ordinary as I found out to my cost when I bought a driver without knowing much about the shaft!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users