51 replies to this topic

#1 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12437 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:38 AM

Hi All, On recommendation from some quality ISGers, I've decided to put my request in the classified section of the forum. (It's been hard work getting 20posts up in the last 5min but mission accomplished. I can assure you I'll be bugging ISG'ers for years to come. I love this site!) I'm looking at upgrading my existing clubs to something more upmarket (there is only so far you can go with KMart clubs and it's getting embarrassing at the 19th). So on the back of some birthday $$$ I'm putting the call out to people looking to offload some irons. I don't need a driver really as I have a HOG voucher which will probably cover that. But hey, if it comes with the set I won't knock it back. So if there are any interested parties out there I'd love to hear from you. Either post here or email me at smergen@hotmail.com with pics, prices & so on. Or alternatively, let me know of some good cheap sets at outlet joints which wouldn't go astray. I'm a bit of an equipment novice so I'm calling on the ISG greater community for help. I'm just looking for something credible that will help my game (maybe get a ~20 handicapper down a few shots) that will last a while. Thanks in advance gang, much appreciated.

#2 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12437 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:40 AM

Forgot to mention, they need to be in the Melbourne area, so I can come and have a look at them. I'm based way out west (shut up Blundell) if that helps!

#3 Daves

Daves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7439 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:42 AM

Where are you located Smergen?, and approximate budget? I am assuming you are right handed?

#4 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12437 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:45 AM

All pertinent and relevant questions thanks Daves. I am right handed, coming in at around 6'2" (so oversized helps but I want to get them fitted anyhow) and I like to take long walks on the beach at sunset (although long walks along the Moonah Par 5s is preferred). Location as above, but budget?? Not entirely sure. I'd like not to limit possibilities and can assure people I'm not trying to waste peoples time. But if people are looking upwards of $700 I'll be getting Mr Kerrigan onto them ("tell him he's dreamin'..") Thanks for getting back to me.

#5 Daves

Daves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7439 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:51 AM

Kiwi, or one of the other Melbourne based guys will know some places down there. The Golf Clearance Outlet seems to get favorable mentions here. They are net based, plus retail outlets at Huntingdale and Fitzroy. Here is a link to their website; Golf Clearance Outlet Then there is of course site sponsors Lind Golf; Lind Golf

#6 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12437 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:02 AM

Thanks champ, I've come across the GCO in other forum references. I think a trip down to Fitzroy is in order. I reckon you can always get great deals face to face! As for Lind, just checked their site. Nice and snazzy but never heard of them. Are they any good? Reputable?

#7 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:08 AM

Lind get good mentions. I have a lob wedge and love it....tried some hybrids that didnt work for me but nice and well made clubs...more me than the clubs! Worth considering if you are on a budget. They are basically copies, or clones of top brands, so come in much cheaper but claim the same performance or results! For a hacker like me they'd probably be spot on, but I think its just them against the big brands and what the brands have in the armoury, like R & D budgets, history and experience....truth be told they are probably as good, it just depends on the monkey hanging off the end of them!

#8 Daves

Daves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7439 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:12 AM

I have not used Linds myself Smergen, but plenty here have and seems to think well of them!. Think value for money end of the range. The best deal I reckon will be a set of low use 2nd hand clubs. I have seen a couple of great sets for sale recently at my driving range for around the $450/$500 mark. Pings and Mizunos. Unfortunately they were in Brisbane and left handed clubs (which I am), and so totally unsuitable for yourself unfortunately!

#9 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12437 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:14 AM

Thanks Walrus, I may just go have a bit more of a squizz at them at work tomorrow when 'the man' can pay for my research. Any opinions of the Srixon sets (T/S & MV2) that the GCO seem to be selling very cheaply?

#10 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:22 AM

Dont know much about them....I hear from forum members that they are decent clubs, they are budget end, which doesnt make them bad, I just think you can get an ex-demo set of irons for similar amount of money in a top of the line brand....I paid $600 for my Pings...3 - SW. But we are all different....I wouldnt touch anything other than Heinz tomato sauce but dont mind home brand weetbix! Horses for courses....in golf I find that if it feels right physically, feels right mentaly, looks right aesthetically and fits the budget, then get your wallet out sir youve found what you want!

#11 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12437 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:31 AM

Sound sound advice my toothy friend. I'm definitely of the same opinion. I'm not one that needs the biggest name or the best bling. My budget keeps me in the real world. As for your deal on your pings, that's the kind of deal I'm after. Maybe the boys out at HOG will have something 'out the back' for me this weekend...

#12 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:50 AM

Ex-demo sets can often be sets that have jad very little use and are just teh old model. The way some brands bring out new clubs it shouldnt be hard to find some that a pro shop are looking to offload. Contact your local pro shops ans see if they have a demo coming to an end and see if you get lucky! That way you can get the pro's advice and touch, feel, play and see the good before you buy!

#13 Daves

Daves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7439 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:59 AM

The golf chain stores like Gold Mart, Drummonds and HOG will often have a bag of demo irons for sale, usually 6 irons. Try them in their indoor range, a good way to compare different clubs. My driving range also has lots of demo clubs for sale all the time. As a regular I get to try anything that might be of interest. Picked up a demo Titleist Vokey LW recently for $90, which I believe is about half the new price.

#14 Wodda

Wodda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1179 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:33 PM

Smergen, I have a set of Mizuno MX-900 irons 3 - PW that I'm thinking of offloading if you're interested.... probably only want $400 for them. They are in excellent condition, hardly used....can supply woods and driver as well for the right price...let me know what you think. email... woddawick@yahoo.com.au

#15 Wodda

Wodda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1179 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:34 PM

These irons feel fantastic but alas I cannot play them very well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users