1017 replies to this topic

#1006 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3936 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 05:05 PM

Here, we are stage 4 lock-down, no golf for 6 weeks, and might be extended since the Covid19 fig is not promising. Like all other golfers in Melbourne, life is unbearable without work, golf and family/friends.

The new Arabian Ranches reopened December last year, is it better than Jumeriah? Saw some bunkers are deeper now.

Your next round is going to be fab again at Jumer. :-) :-)

Della,

Another 2 weeks in lockdown with some slight changes ( don't go crazy )

I'm very fearful that my golf game might be lost and I will have forgotten how to play and swing a club.

Just not being able to catch up with friends and go out for a quiet meal is something that we have all taken for granted in the past. 

Hoping that we are close to the finish line re lockdown and that the minority of non-conformers will do the right thing, to get over the last hurdle !

#1007 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:26 PM

Here, we are stage 4 lock-down, no golf for 6 weeks, and might be extended since the Covid19 fig is not promising. Like all other golfers in Melbourne, life is unbearable without work, golf and family/friends.

The new Arabian Ranches reopened December last year, is it better than Jumeriah? Saw some bunkers are deeper now.

Your next round is going to be fab again at Jumer. :-) :-)

There are no major design changes to the course. Just re-built all off the greens and restored them to their former size as well. I've always felt that Arabian Ranches is a fabulous design and layout from an architecture point of view but it is sometimes let down by its conditioning.

#1008 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 09 September 2020 - 01:27 AM

Had a game today by myself at Trump International. Greens had been cored and sanded but the weather is getting better (only 41 degrees today - which feels significantly better than 45+) and the course was quiet so I managed to get through 18 holes in only 2:10hrs!

I hit the ball reasonably solid but it was a pretty strange round. I hit 10/14 fairways and 13 greens in regulation. However I made no putts, I had 17 2-putt greens and one 1-putt green for a total of 35 putts which is obviously too many. Even though 13 GIRs is decent I still shouldn't have that many putts in a round. That being said I don't think my putting was actually the problem, I just didn't give myself enough realistic scoring opportunities. Meaning I hit plenty of greens but none of them were close enough to give me a better than even chance of holing the putt. Even with wedges in my hand, I'm just not getting the ball close enough so that's something that I really need to work on.

+5, 76 off the tips overall. No birdies all day!!!

• Dellavedova777 likes this

#1009 Dellavedova777

Dellavedova777

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationGreat food and great company. Two of life's simplest yet greatest pleasures.

Posted 09 September 2020 - 02:16 AM

Excellent solid round! 71 +5. Well done Buggera. Consider you live in Dubai, it would make a prefect sense aim for eagle than birdie :-) :-). +2 here for Buggera! That putting number is great. Each time you get beautiful eagle or birdie, you get Hi-5 for me.

I don't remember Arabian Ranches well because I wasn't interested in golf then but Jumer, it is beautiful and has a lot of wow factors. Such a busy golf club too. 

Our lock-down stage 4 had been extended till 26th October. I really miss this awesome sport that I dearly love. 

Carpe Diem

#1010 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:47 AM

Another hit today back at Arabian Ranches after work. Warm weather and the fairways were a bit rough after being scarified so I decided to use preferred lies when on the fairway.

I teed off on the 10th and my first nine was a little bit scratchy to be honest. I wasn't scoring terribly, in fact I shot +3, 39 which is alright but I just wasn't hitting the ball very crisply. I had the driver going a bit left which is never a great thing.

At the turn I remembered a chat I had earlier this morning about focusing on the basics of grip, set-up and alignment. I told him that if your swing is decent, which his is, then any problems usually come from poor basics, not any swing fault. I decided to follow my own advice for once and what a turn around it lead to......

Suddenly my ball-striking was much more solid and the driver in particular was great. Lipped out a regulation birdie on 1, nearly aced the 2nd (ended up a foot away) and birdied the Par 5, 3rd. When I did miss a green my chipping and putting always got me out of trouble. Another birdie at the Par 5, 8th offset my lone back nine bogey on the tough 5th.

Home in -2, 34 for a total of +1, 73!!!

Solid round all brought about by focusing on a correct, athletic address position, its all about the basics!

• Jack_Golfer and Dellavedova777 like this

#1011 Dellavedova777

Dellavedova777

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationGreat food and great company. Two of life's simplest yet greatest pleasures.

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:00 AM

There you go! Arabian and Yas Link warm up to you now. Well done Buggera! Didn't know you are ex-member Bonnie Doon. BD is excellent, close by Coff Harbour GC is great course but a bit more challenge. 

Carpe Diem

#1012 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 30 September 2020 - 02:25 AM

Quick hit today at Trump International. Course is in good nick although the greens are still a fair bit slower than they usually run in this part of the world and especially compared to how fast they run in the winter. Seemed to have a bit of a draw going today with the driver, especially when I got a bit quick with my transition. Putting was still kicking me in the balls. I had three 3-putts in the 12 holes that I had time to play. I had 3 birdies but the putting inhibited any chance I had of posting a really good score. 

+3 for 12 holes.

#1013 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 02 October 2020 - 03:53 AM

Played today with 3 really good mates at the Els Club. Great weather, about 38 degrees but no humidity and just a light breeze with the course also in great condition. It was very much a social round as one of the guys is finishing up his time here in Dubai and heading back to Australia. So we weren't really concentrating on the golf, we were chatting heaps, reminiscing about old times and pulling the piss on each other. 

Perhaps it was because of the fact we weren't really focusing on the golf but we all played really well!

In fact, I absolutely flushed it for the most part! After a scratchy bogey on the 1st after not having time for a warm-up, after that the ball-striking was pure. My driving especially was great with a strong ball flight and good distance. But even my irons were very good and I stuck some approach shots very close at times. 

Unfortunately we only had time to play 15 holes as we had to meet the WAGS for an early dinner in the clubhouse but in that 15 holes I had;

• 10/12 Fairways
  • 11/15 Greens in Regulation
  • 26 Putts
  • 4 birdies / 9 Pars / 2 Bogies

2 UNDER Par through 15 holes!!!

Felt great to play golf to that level again, just a bit pissed that we didn't get to finish the round competely though.

#1014 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 06 October 2020 - 03:17 AM

Another round today with a mate at the Els Club in good weather but a decent, stiff breeze. Greens had been lightly renovated and sanded which was disappointing considering that they were in mint condition last week. 

Drove the ball great again pretty much all day. In fact the only time I hit a shocker was when I didn't hit driver and tried to lay-up with a 3-wood. At the top of my swing my grip slipped a little and I ended up doming it!!! Murphy's Law - try to lay up and end up in trouble. That lead to a double bogey after an unplayable lie.

My irons were pretty solid as well for the most part. Other than that previous double bogey, there weren't too many other mistakes but by the same token I wasn't making many birdies either despite giving myself plenty of chances. 

10/14 Fairways

12 Greens in Regulation

32 Putts

+4, 76 off the stick.

• Bogey Golfer likes this

#1015 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 07:00 AM

well played

• BuggeraCup likes this

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#1016 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 27 October 2020 - 03:08 AM

I've had a couple of games that I didn't bother to do a write up about. The weather is just about perfect now with mid-30's temps and light winds most days. Teed it up today with a mate at Trump International which was in great condition.

Drove the ball exceptionally well, long and straight. Also my irons were great on the front nine. I had a sloppy 3-putt on the 6th and I somehow managed to make bogey after putting my drive about 40 yards short of the Par 4, 8th! I did manage to birdie the 4th and also made a regulation Par on the tough Par 4, 10th to be +1 thru 10.

The key at Trump is to get through the first 7 holes (plus the 10th) in decent shape and then it is possible to make some ground on the easier back side (excluding the tough finishing hole). So you can imagine how pissed I was to make stupid mental errors where I wasn't even concentrating on what I was doing. Hooked a 4-iron OOB on the short Par 4, 11th and then tried to drive the green on the, also, short Par 4, 12th that got lodged in a desert bush and I had to take an unplayable. That lead to back-to-back double bogies and any chance of a good score was shot. I recovered and played pretty solidly to the clubhouse but I certainly let a good round slip.

+8, 79.

11/14 Fairways

11 Greens in Regulation

32 Putts

• Bogey Golfer likes this

#1017 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 06 November 2020 - 02:40 AM

Another smash today as a 4-ship with some mates again at the Els Club. A few of the tees were being aerated so a lot of the tees seemed to be well back and Els can play really, really long off the tips as the course is designed to host pro tournaments in the future.

On the front nine I absolutely flushed it. It was probably the best I've hit the ball I reckon. I missed 1 fairway and hit all but 2 greens but both of those were not too far off the surface. I only ended up EVEN Par (36) but that included a sloppy 3-putt on the 9th and I also lipped out several putts that looked like they were in the whole way. I was actually putting really well with good speed but they were just missing.

I then went through a stretch of 4 bogies in a row (9-12) which is actually a really tough stretch of holes to be fair. Of those, other than a couple of poor shots on 12, I still actually was striking it very well but its just a tough course off the tips. Luckily I came good again and finished the round strongly. Although, we only got 16 holes done (I birdied 16!) as we ran out of sunlight as winter approaches.

16 holes, +3 off the stick.

I feel like a really low score might be just around the corner if I can stay focused for a full round and maybe have a bit of luck go my way.

#1018 BuggeraCup

BuggeraCup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1360 posts
  • LocationDubai, UAE

Posted 17 November 2020 - 01:27 AM

Just got back from a game off the blue tees with a mate at the Els Club. The course in great condition and the weather was just about perfect although there was a decent 1-club breeze all afternoon. 

Hit the ball pretty great right from the get go to be honest. Driver was great, long and straight(ish) and I hit 11/14 fairways. Irons were okay but I did seem to manage to give myself some really good looks at birdie even though I only hit 9/18 greens. Although, even though the GIR stats weren't that impressive a lot of the missed greens were just off the putting surface and many of them could even be putted so it wasn't as bad as the stats made it seem. Putting was really good too and I felt like I put a good roll on most of them, even those that I didn't make. 29 putts all up.

I birdied the 3rd and 5th on the front side against a lone (and sloppy!) bogey on the 7th to turn in -1, 35. I made a terrible double on the 10th which is a tough hole but I had no business taking 4 to get down from 20m out! Other bogies on the 14th and 17th more than cancelled out the lone birdie on the 16th to come home in +3, 39.

+2, 74 off the stick............good but should have been better!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users