102 replies to this topic

#91 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:29 AM

Hey Adlo KIWI has offered me an Adams Ovation 'Tight Lies' 3 wood (5 also available) with an Aldila shaft...Seeing as you seem to be an Adams fan I was wondering if this was the kind of club you were suggesting I find? They are an older model but he swears by them. I gave seen them online for very cheap prices (new I think) but in America and they hammer you for postage.....would appreciate your thoughts! Played today and definately need something in the gap!

#92 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:34 AM

Also I have the option of a Sonartec 17 deg 4 wood and a Ben Hogan C455 17 deg 4 wood, wich also gets good reviews....I am keen to restrict it to one club, nothing to do with money just to limit my options/choices, so was thinking the 17 deg might be worth considering!

#93 adlo

adlo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:55 AM

Walrus, I have never hit the tight lies fairways. I have do doubt they are a decent stick, as they were a hit for Adams. However, the technology in the BUL or the newer A3 hybrid-fairways is excellent. The BUL has cup face and Ti construction. They really are way too cheap these days. Walrus, I have tried/owned Sonartec clubs. They are indeed good quality clubs, but they are better suited to high SS or low markers. They are well reviewed, but generally by players who fit this profile. They are small headed 3/4/5 woods. Walrus, the 3 wood is a seldom needed club. Don't limit yourself to a 4 wood. To be honest, a good quality 18 degree 5 wood will fly just as far off the deck and be easier to hit. And you have many options available to you looking for a 5 wood instead of a 4 wood.

#94 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:00 AM

Interesting.... Seldom needed club! So you are saying that I'd be better off going for a 5 wood rather than a 3 wood? Assuming I dont want both? I just worked on the logic that a 4 wood was between the two or are you saying that a 3 & 5 is the way to go? Two other people said that about the Sonartec so thats now dead in the water!

#95 adlo

adlo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:11 AM

I am saying you don't really need a 3 wood. Just a 5 wood.

#96 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:25 AM

Thats very interesting and very pleasing as my old 5 wood was my favourite club by a long way! Time to go window shopping again....thanks Adlo

#97 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:47 AM

This sounds like the one you have Adlo....nice looking club and decent price!

#98 adlo

adlo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:57 AM

Think about it, a 17 degree 4 wood (with limited options) or an 18 degree 5 wood with endless options. Most of us get as much carry (especially off the deck) with a 5 wood. More forgiveness too. If we are not low markers how many greens are we going to hit from 200m+ anyway. The BUL is very good looking, a low profile but not too low. I would say if you window shop for a while, you could get one for $80-$90 US including shipping of a decent US Ebay seller.

#99 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:14 AM

Thanks mate There seems to be a good argument in favour of 4 woods but I'm keeping an open mind.....will keep my eyes open for some bargains!

#100 WGibbo

WGibbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:34 PM

Walrus, Have you demo'd the TM Burner 3 wood? I purchased a 2008 one from the US (2nd hand) and had a crack on the weekend. I hit it better than I've ever hit a 3 wood in my life, reached the green from 190m out. Upgraded from the TM R7 draw 3 wood which I was having issues with consistancy, distance & height.

#101 aym

aym

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:32 AM

burner woods are very well designed thats all I can say, it's probably one of the easiest hit clubs everrrr!!!!

#102 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:05 AM

No I havent hit one Gibbo but would love to try....the problem is there are so many clubs I'd like to try, so little time or opportunity! Hardly any demo days and when they are they happen through the day! Cheers Aym...as above to you....I want to try an Adams, Cobra, TM rescue and BB 3 wood but finding all of them to 'try' and making a direct comparison is never going to happen...so you end up relying on word of mouth, research and reviews!

#103 gazgolf1

gazgolf1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1601 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:33 PM

I've got a Brand New Adams Insight BUL 15 degree 3 wood,stiff stock Aldila shaft, headcover. $150 shipped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users