102 replies to this topic

#31 Dan_1984

Dan_1984

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:07 AM

very happy camper indeed. gave it to my girlfriend yesterday & we played at horizons at salamander bay... she could not handle the G5 from the tee & on the 16th she told me i could have it. i used it for the last couple of holes & it was a gem. thanks pinged - top club.

#32 aym

aym

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:56 AM

Walrus, thought you might be interested in this. http://cgi.ebay.com....1|39:1|240:1318

#33 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:15 AM

Thanks Aym Ive got myself a new 16 deg hybrid now to go with my 19 but it didnt go to well on the first outing....I still have thoughts of getting a three wood so I can ditch both of them, so i will have a think about this. I should probably give the hybrids more time though!

#34 adlo

adlo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:02 AM

In my experience a low profile 3 wood is easier to hit than a 16 degree hybrid. Granted, the hybrid has a shorter shaft, but it is a lot harder to hit than a 3 or 4 hybrid.

#35 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:43 AM

Cheers Adlo I was hoping the 16 would be as easy as the 19 but I think I need to get it down to the range! I'm struggling to know how to play either of them and end up trying out different things during my game... I tend to try and play it like a 3 iron but have seen people suggesting to play it further back in your stance and more central!

#36 aym

aym

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:18 AM

I have a 16 degree 2H TM rescue, and it's a lot harder to hit than a my TM 4H, I think you really have to concentrate on your shot a lot more than say a 4H, but I would agree with Adlo off the Tee I still go for a 3wood, and off the fairway mostly the 4H and it I really want to give it a go a the 16 Hybrid.

#37 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:31 AM

I made a bid on that Ping Aym and it just kept going up so someone has bid a high price...so I thought better of it before I got carried away and will focus on the 2 & 3 hybrids... Yes I took out the 2H on Sunday all full of myself and totally f'kd it up...much harder to hit than I thought....I'm yet to buy into the general opinion that hybrids are easy...but I'm open minded....with a 16 and 19 it feels like I've got the gap between my driver and 3 iron covered but will see how it goes.... If not I'm going for a G10 4 wood, f'k the expense....then I can squeeze in another wedge! My God...what have I become? ok, club ***** I know!

#38 adlo

adlo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:56 AM

It just isn't that easy to get a low lofted club up in the air. You should be swinging down on the ball, and that is where a shallow face makes it easier to get the ball airborne. I have been through a similar process before giving up 1/2 iron replacement hybrids. However, having a lot of luck with 3 & 4 hybrids (still shallow faced- TM Burners). I have tried/owned a lot of others, but still struggled to get enough height off the deck. I have had the most luck with my Adams BUL 3 wood with a high launch shaft. It is low profile with mid spin. Gets the ball up but is very forgiving. However, the ho in me has just bought another Adams 3 wood (the A3 to match my driver/same shaft). Keep your eye on the classifieds :)

#39 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:01 AM

I'm going to give it a few weeks/months to master the *****! Then if no luck I can see Santa having to bring me a new fairway wood....if not I'll chase him with the 2 hybrid! I must say that I still feel that one 3 or 4 at 17/18 deg wood is better than having 2 hybrids especially as I'm thinking I might need a 58 deg wedge after all!

#40 aym

aym

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:02 AM

It just isn’t that easy to get a low lofted club up in the air. You should be swinging down on the ball, and that is where a shallow face makes it easier to get the ball airborne.

I think this is spot on, with the 16 degree hybrid you can't hit it like a wood, you must hit down, the flight will be very low, but you can easily punch it for about 180 - 200 depending on your swing speed,

#41 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:37 AM

Begining to hate my hybrids after today! Seriously thinking about getting rid of them both for a 3 or 4 wood! I knew I should have stuck to my original plan!

#42 Chook Norris aka L4G

Chook Norris aka L4G

BOKBOKBOKBOGURK!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7006 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:47 AM

Walrus, I got a Sonartec 3 wood...

#43 adlo

adlo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:57 AM

Sonartec?!? You want an Adams. Do you want an Adams? :)

#44 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:23 AM

Not heard of Sonartec...any good? Heard very good things about Adams...not so much their drivers but fairway woods are meant to be good....you a fan Adlo?

#45 adlo

adlo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:28 AM

I have Adams drivers/fairways and hybrids. They are very well known for being a leader in the advancement of hybrids esp. hybrid mixed sets. Their low profile 3 woods are always well reviewed for being easy to get the ball airborne with a high degree of forgiveness. I own 2 Adams 3 woods which is unnecessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users