• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#16 NoHookLefty

NoHookLefty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:48 PM

and Twin Creeks the first time you play it. LOL. Get a map. 200 bunks I would say. Much easier the 2nd time

#17 dpac18

dpac18

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:42 AM

I have played NSW in some of the worst conditions imaginable and I still wouldn't say it is the toughest. Royal Adelaide and The Australian are very very tough of the plates. Megenta is also very tough with some wind. Yet to play Newcastle, but hear it is a great track.

#18 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

The artist formerly known as HCWT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4528 posts
  • LocationMid north coast, NSW

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:06 AM

Royal MELB. No question. When greens are running 13 and rock hard.

I played Tuncurry on tge NSW Mid North coast. Right on the beach with a 40 kilometres cross wind. No rough – fairway or Tea tree. Miss the fairway and reload. Very tight.

NSW in a hurricane is tough.

I guess it depends on what perspective you are taking. If you hit the ball straight or day then courses like tuncurry aren't that hard. There are few bunkers, no water hazards and the greens are flat. If however you hit it off the fairway at any time you DO NOT get a clear shot anywhere on the course. If you do hit it straight all day then the length of the course and structure of the greens would become the key to your "degree of difficulty". NSW is the course that i have played in the most difficult conditions so it sticks in my mind as a difficult course. I have played it in milder conditions and agree that it is not as tough as some courses. however being stuck out like a pimple on a pumpkin as it is , the conditions are rarely benign. I didn't find royal adelaide extraordinarily difficult. Enjoyable yes, but difficult no.

#19 Chook Norris aka L4G

Chook Norris aka L4G

BOKBOKBOKBOGURK!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7006 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:08 AM

I'm playing Magenta in 3 weeks, I will let you know how I find it...I am guessing it will give my last choice of Newcastle a run for its money...hopefully the weather will be a little better.

#20 Slappa

Slappa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:39 AM

I’m playing Magenta in 3 weeks, I will let you know how I find it…I am guessing it will give my last choice of Newcastle a run for its money…hopefully the weather will be a little better.

A bad day at golf is better than a good day at work.

How'd you get on magenta?

#21 Chook Norris aka L4G

Chook Norris aka L4G

BOKBOKBOKBOGURK!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7006 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:40 AM

I’m playing Magenta in 3 weeks, I will let you know how I find it…I am guessing it will give my last choice of Newcastle a run for its money…hopefully the weather will be a little better.

How’d you get on magenta?

Another 3 weeks yet....ask me again on the 18th August.... :) Hopefully better than Newcastle last Friday.

#22 Mydogownsme

Mydogownsme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:44 AM

I played Magenta a few weeks after it opened. It was tough, long & narrow with thick rough. I think they have thinned out the rough recently. Was -2 thru 4 thinking this is a snack.......... bad move! I dont remember what I had but it was plenty. I think I payed $75 back them but have heard its now about $110. Live4golf take at least a sleeve of balls & hope the southerly has the day off.

#23 Mydogownsme

Mydogownsme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 04:56 AM

Hardest courses in no order: Tuncurry (Tryin to hit straight balls in 50km/h cross winds!) Port Fairy Newcastle Nyngan (tough putting on dirt!) Moonah Open (Black Tee challenge when the southerly had its period!) Princeville - Prince course.North shore of Kauai, blowing a gale, made the mistake of drinking a 6 pack on the front 9 & is seemed every hole had at least 1 cliff or ravine carry from the tee.

#24 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11908 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 30 July 2008 - 05:56 AM

Have not played Port Fairy but just looking at it < It would be a real ***** in a strong wind.

#25 Slappa

Slappa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:26 AM

Another 3 weeks yet….ask me again on the 18th August…. :)

Hopefully better than Newcastle last Friday.

No, i mean how did you get a game at magenta, seeing as it's private?

#26 MrNoisy

MrNoisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:52 AM

Guys for me the National is a monster. Ocean course in the wind is just down right nasty while the Moonah has arguabley the toughest finish around. 15-Par 5 550m, 16- Par4 420m uphill, 17- Par 3 190m very narrow green, 18 Par 4 390 heavily sloped narrow green and that before you get any wind, it is just a monster. Thoroughly enjoyable though.

#27 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4528 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:00 AM

Have not played Port Fairy but just looking at it < It would be a real ***** in a strong wind.

A bad day on the golf course is better than no golf at all. :(

No one who ever had a lesson would have a swing like mine

Lee Trevino

wonderful memories of Port Fairy. Holed a 5 iron from the rough for a 2 on the 9th. great course

#28 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4528 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:04 AM

Guys for me the National is a monster. Ocean course in the wind is just down right nasty while the Moonah has arguabley the toughest finish around. 15-Par 5 550m, 16- Par4 420m uphill, 17- Par 3 190m very narrow green, 18 Par 4 390 heavily sloped narrow green and that before you get any wind, it is just a monster.
Thoroughly enjoyable though.

I've played all three tracks at the national and whilst enjoying 2 of them ( didn't think much of the thomson course) I didn't find any of them horrible. Some interesting hills that took the ball walkabouts on occassions but still managed more than 30pts. Thats my aim when i play a course that I haven't seen before. I would rate Tuncurry as harder than any of them for a golfer of my standard, and i play that probably once a month. I still struggle to reach the 30 pts barrier out there and i know it very well.

#29 _Andrew_

_Andrew_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2337 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:47 AM

Guys for me the National is a monster. Ocean course in the wind is just down right nasty while the Moonah has arguabley the toughest finish around. 15-Par 5 550m, 16- Par4 420m uphill, 17- Par 3 190m very narrow green, 18 Par 4 390 heavily sloped narrow green and that before you get any wind, it is just a monster.
Thoroughly enjoyable though.

I’ve played all three tracks at the national and whilst enjoying 2 of them ( didn’t think much of the thomson course) I didn’t find any of them horrible. Some interesting hills that took the ball walkabouts on occassions but still managed more than 30pts. Thats my aim when i play a course that I haven’t seen before.

I would rate Tuncurry as harder than any of them for a golfer of my standard, and i play that probably once a month. I still struggle to reach the 30 pts barrier out there and i know it very well.

Such is Life

This is not meant to be rude, but I find that amazing. I would consider all three courses at The National (yes, even the awful Ocean course) tougher than Tuncurry.

#30 _Andrew_

_Andrew_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2337 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:56 AM

Another 3 weeks yet….ask me again on the 18th August…. :)

Hopefully better than Newcastle last Friday.

No, i mean how did you get a game at magenta, seeing as it’s private?

Slappa, The guy who worked with Ross Watson in designing Magenta Shores use to post on here before the troubles of last year. I've played it with him & it's interesting to hear how they turned a featureless tip into a reasonable golf course. I wouldn't consider it the toughest, but it is lots of fun. I actually hosted both him & Graeme Marsh's head architect (plus a few others) at Newcastle the day before & they both found Newcastle tougher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users