186 replies to this topic

#1 Slappa

Slappa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:12 AM

I played my home course of Newcastle GC today in the monthly tiger tee competition and shot 84 off a 3 handicap. This got me thinking what the hardest course in Australia is? I would nominate Barnbougle Dunes, Mt Broughton or Newcastle as the toughest i've played, let me know of your thoughts.

#2 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3356 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 07:00 AM

I think saying what is the hardest becuase weather is such a factor in difficulty. I suspect Barnbougle might get the strongest winds so I imagine it could play the hardest.

#3 Chook Norris aka L4G

Chook Norris aka L4G

BOKBOKBOKBOGURK!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7006 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:14 AM

I agree with Slappa. Newcastle GC on Friday 25 June 2008 in the crap rain and wind is the hardest I have played....it is just relentless. My mate and I played with Slappa and Chris today and we averaged 100 (99 and 101, both off 9)....it actualy ended up just being too much but that had a lot to do with the weather, love to play Newcastle again in the dry.

#4 _Andrew_

_Andrew_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2337 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:37 AM

Slappa, As a member there myself, I would think playing Newy with its 4th & 13th as par 4's would be close to as tough as it gets to par in Australia. Royal Adelaide & The Australian of the back tees would be up there as well. In the wind, Barbougle Dunes would be up there, & I would also nominate National (Moonah). I have also played NSW in winds so strong my 4 foot putt on the 14th lipped out, rolled 30 foot down to the front of the green, continuing to roll off the green, leaving me 30m in front of the green. That was a tough day. In saying all that, at least Newcastle gives you a chance. I've played quite a few of the better courses in America & a few of them on a still day are as tough as it gets anywhere in the world.

#5 Timinsa

Timinsa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3293 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:37 PM

Glenelg is a shot harder than RA IMHO. Looking forward to assessing Barbougle in October.

#6 _Andrew_

_Andrew_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2337 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:19 PM

Glenelg is a shot harder than RA IMHO.
Looking forward to assessing Barbougle in October.

Home on The Range

I haven't played Glenelg since Neil did the re-design. I'll have to get over there again to check it out.

#7 Timinsa

Timinsa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3293 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 12:32 AM

It's textbookn now.....might go for a lash there tomorrow.

#8 St_Andrews

St_Andrews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3315 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:13 AM

Off the plates - I'd nominate NSW / Sanctuary Cove (Pines) and take your pick from the courses at the National. They all have varying combinations of winds, rough, water and length.

#9 Slappa

Slappa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 05:01 AM

No nominations for Mt Broughton off the blacks? i lost like 5 balls that day in reasonable conditions.

#10 golferman68

golferman68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:13 AM

moonah links open course

#11 _Andrew_

_Andrew_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2337 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:40 AM

No nominations for Mt Broughton off the blacks? i lost like 5 balls that day in reasonable conditions.

It's tough off the back markers, but it's such an average / boring layout. I was there for a look on one of the days they were shaping it. It was an overly long, plain Jane then & it's no different with grass on it. If ever I see Philips & Dunk lined up to design a greenfield site again, I'm going to spin the car around & speed off in the other direction.

#12 Slappa

Slappa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:44 AM

It's certainly a very uninspiring course. When i played there the first cut of rough was so firm even the slightest of offline drives were rolling into the thick rough and disapearing! not to mention the last 4 times i've played there the bunkers have been concrete and out of play.

#13 SchoonerMagoo

SchoonerMagoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:41 AM

I played the Pines at Sanctuary Cove today for the first time, as St Andrew stated it's a pretty tough course, one of the Par 4's was 456m of the tee and had water in the way also.

#14 K K Kenny

K K Kenny

The artist formerly known as HCWT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4528 posts
  • LocationMid north coast, NSW

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:28 AM

The magic weather question is the key to this one. I have played the moonah course at the National in pristine conditions and didn't find it that hard, yet you might plya an easier course in tough conditions and find it treacherous. There is a little 9 hole course at Harrington in NSW that has water or OB on both sides of every hole. The wind also blows as it is about 500m fromt he coast.The LEAST number of balls I have lost their in 5 visits is 6 ( i play off 10). From my experiences I would nominate (no specific order) :- 1.NSW golf club 2.Great Lakes country club at Tuncurry 3.Tallwoods if they roll the greens and hide the pins. Its 90% about putting there. 4. Hope island if the wind is up 5. Newcastle I haven't played Barnbougle or Magenta shores but both would be tough from what i have seen and heard

#15 NoHookLefty

NoHookLefty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:46 PM

Royal MELB. No question. When greens are running 13 and rock hard. I played Tuncurry on tge NSW Mid North coast. Right on the beach with a 40 kilometres cross wind. No rough - fairway or Tea tree. Miss the fairway and reload. Very tight. NSW in a hurricane is tough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users