95 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 06:32 PM

Its often quoted that lesbianism is a factor in many womens sports, and that the LPGA Tour is no exception. But is this really the case?

Have we (and specifically the media) allowed the LPGA Tour to be tagged as a haven for lesbian activity when it may not be the case? Do these elite golfing gals only have eyes for each other? Is the degree of lesbianism on the LPGA Tour higher than that in "normal" society. For that matter I guess you have to ask the question "is homosexualtiy prevalent on the PGA Tour".

Personally, it doesn't make an ounce of difference to me what someone does in their personal life. But does the LPGA Tour cop a bum wrap when it comes to this sensitive topic?

#2 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 06:38 PM

Jack,

You may not care... but a major golf equipment provider does... remember what happened when Karrie was ousted out of the closet? This is when she was still #1, both her and her partner lost major equipment deals.

Its not something I personally have thought about... and really don't want to picture Laura Davies with another women (or man for that matter). :?

Ben

#3 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 06:50 PM

Jack,
As Ben said, despite the fact that you and me might not care, it appears that corporate America has difficulty with it. It's a problem for the LPGA: potential sponsors don't like their name attached to lesbians.

I've heard conflicting reports, but popular opinion is that the "rate" is much higher on tour than it is in the general population.

#4 Insider

Insider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 07:12 PM

From what I know, the 'rate' is anywhere from 30-50% on the LPGA Tour, depending on who you ask. Word among the players at the Women's Open here was that they are sick of it being an issue
So reading between the lines, that might be an indication that - yes - potential sponsors are concerned at the image . . . I see that US$100K is good enough to keep a card, where as half a mil on the PGA Tour won't cut it.

#5 burger

burger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 08:03 PM

I also don't care what the gals (or guys) get up to in their personal lives, however rather than asking if LPGA is a haven for lesbians perhaps we should compare the 'rate' with other sports.
Here in Australia, I know that womens cricket & hockey have a 'rate' that is higher than the national average.
I think it is infortunate that the equipment sponsors are narrow minded, even if it appears to be a commercially sound position in the USA.

#6 Cujo_17

Cujo_17

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 08:55 PM

I would not mind having lesbians on the tour. Some LPGA players r good lookin'!

#7 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 11:23 PM

Cujo,
Name one player who looks good AND is a lesbian.

#8 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 02:37 AM

Henry, you may have missed my point. It 'aint about what these ladies look like, my point is "is the LPGA tour unfairly labelled as a lesbian haven, when no one has yet come forward with any factual vidence that this is in fact the case".

Sure, some girls like Karrie are more than happy to "dine at the Y", but should that really matter and is it as widespread as the media would have us believe? I've heard that the Dinah Shore event in Palm Spring at years end is the ulitmate lesbian lick off, but is there any truth to confirm that this is in fact the truth. I personally reckon that the girls on the Tour get a rough deal when it comes to their sexual preference. Its not fair, and without any proof that 1. its true, and 2. it makes any difference, then it should stop.

If all the girls were good lookers, who played a mean game of golf, it wouldn't matter to me if they were a bunch of rampant rug munchers..Who cares?

#9 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 02:47 AM

Fair enough Jack.
I personally have no problem with the sexual preferences of LPGA players: but I can understand why the corporate market is loathe to commit to the LPGA Tour in the same way as they do the mens tour.

Rightly or wrongly, the community is still relatively conservative when it comes to these issues, and why would a business spend millions of dollars to be associated with a product which has this "problem", when there are plenty of other "clean-cut" sponsorship options.

It's a shame, but thats life.

#10 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 02:55 AM

Henry, if only the corporate world could see the benefits that promoting lesbianism can have on the LPGA Tour. Heck, some of those short haired, overrall wearing, rusty pushbike riding, un-naturally hairy babes are just what the ladies' tour needs to bridge the gap with the mens tour. Imagine if the LPGA Tour could come up with a woman who looked better than, and hit it as far as John Daly. I'd like to see that!. Who cares what nasty business she gets up to when the lights go out.

If the LPGA Tour wants to forge ahead in leaps and bounds, they 'aint going to do it with scrawny little flat chested hetro sheilas who cant hit it over a jam tin...

#11 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 02:57 AM

I like it Jack. You should become a professor of marketing.

#12 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 02:58 AM

Henry, just looking to turn a perceived negative into a positive...

#13 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 03:17 AM

Jack, you are all heart, I can see you have every ones best interests at heart. You forgot to mention a promotional video featuring some of the more attractive gay and bisexual members of the LPGA doing what they do best. You could even pop in some golf footage if you wish!

#14 taylor360

taylor360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 05:22 AM

KARRIE WEBB IS A LESBIAN :!: :?:

#15 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members