400 replies to this topic

#391 ChipGMac

ChipGMac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:46 PM

Org Barnbougle Dunes is $130 for unlimited holes (say 36) in one day. Barnbougle Lost Farm is $130 unlimited holes in one day. I will be there for 4 days in 2 weeks (from today). Well worth it. I understand what you are after though. I was quoted $170 or more (from memory) to play at the Lakes on a quiet day during my Christmas break. I couldn't justify paying that so I didn't play. I pay enough for my annual subs (about $2800) so I would rather play there.

#392 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:33 AM

We played St Andrews old course cost16 Quid in 1988, that was the top rate then, some other fantastic links courses for around 20 dollars.Then I moved to the Gold Coast with the Japanese golf explosion increasing Aussie green fees were doubling and tripling to cash in on the Japanese touristsThe japanese and Swedes started travelling to Scotland upping green fees substantially.The green fee prices have never been realistic since to what local people earn since, but they were prior to that,In the Mid eighties green fees were fair..The courses haven`t got any better paid $36 to play N.S.W in the nineties, what is it now?Wages haven`t gone up alot.Green fees are out of control.There will be a lost generation of golfers in the next 25 years, clubs are just old guys and a few juniors now.

Org,Wnted classy hypen name but wifes FARQUAD

Supply and demand is your answer to why the top courses can charge what they want. As a members guest @ The Oz they hit you up for $160 for the round......yes members guest-accompanied by a member. I've played Wynn, Cascata and Shadow in Vegas....why are they $500 a round......becuase they have punters queing up who'll pay that. Same at Trump in LA (ignore the name btw, the course is awesome) they rip in becuase of "his" name. Same at St Andrews. As you've experienced, before golf went global it was excessive and "cheap". Things change. Not so long ago (ok maybe 20'odd years ago) NSWGC was advertising for membership by way of TV ads.....now they have a wait list of 12 years.

#393 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

What do you think of Ritz-Carlton course in a desert ? Easy to maintain those waste land ! Superb ! Bermuda fairways and Bent grass for the climate. PP that's Jack's over rated design on display.

#394 Peter_Pan

Peter_Pan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:33 PM

What do you think of Ritz-Carlton course in a desert ? Easy to maintain those waste land ! Superb ! Bermuda fairways and Bent grass for the climate.

PP that’s Jack’s over rated design on display.

ellimb

Never seen it

#395 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

What do you think of Ritz-Carlton course in a desert ? Easy to maintain those waste land ! Superb ! Bermuda fairways and Bent grass for the climate.

PP that’s Jack’s over rated design on display.

ellimb

Never seen it

The little boy who never grew up

You might have caught a glimpse of it if you watched the Accenture Matchplay championship this year. Interesting course for sure. Just laid out smack in the middle of the desert with cactii, coyotes and ... well desert that most players had to play from at one point or another!

#396 Palmeister

Palmeister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

Are you an Aussie,resident. thats what you`ll be paying here.Residents of the place always get a cheaper deal.Also the exchange rate is what it is.I think just alot people can`t imagine deals like this after being overcharged for many years.

#397 Palmeister

Palmeister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:34 PM

Yeah I`m definitely out of touch.$160 members guest.Didn`t Packer stop visitors there, by paying a fee each year.Surely this gave the course a false sense of exclusivity.Actually I think it`s the second best in Sydney, but I`d save up for Barnbougle.

#398 Palmeister

Palmeister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:41 PM

Alot of these fees are paid by corporations, then we all pay when they go arse up.Great another Finance Company Golf Day with players flying in Helicopters, to an exclusive club.Who`s paying the taxpayer when they go arse up 2 years later

#399 Palmeister

Palmeister

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:04 PM

Las Vegas where $500 probably gets these guys off the gambling tables for half a day, saving the family house, or college, fund, the wives probably force them to play golf as they are dropped 20 thousand on the tables each day.Not a realistic place, I`m sure they have golf at real prices in neighbouring towns on quality courses.

#400 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:05 PM

Yeah I`m definitely out of touch.$160 members guest.Didn`t Packer stop visitors there, by paying a fee each year.Surely this gave the course a false sense of exclusivity.Actually I think it`s the second best in Sydney, but I`d save up for Barnbougle.

Read my post again Org-Members Guest. i.e) You're a member and you invite me for a hit. It will cost me $160 at The Oz.

#401 Nikey Ho

Nikey Ho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

Las Vegas where $500 probably gets these guys off the gambling tables for half a day, saving the family house, or college, fund, the wives probably force them to play golf as they are dropped 20 thousand on the tables each day.Not a realistic place, I`m sure they have golf at real prices in neighbouring towns on quality courses.

There are plenty of cheaper golf options in Vegas. With the dollar at 1:1 now for $80AUD you can play on some quality tracks. Wynn & Shadow Creek are worth the $500 even just for the experinece. I'm not saying I'd pay $500 every round but if I could nominate one of these courses as my home track I would. The cousres and facilities are absolutely mindblowing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users