400 replies to this topic

#16 Jarrod

Jarrod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 06:55 AM

Huntingdale (more after the changes), Moonah Links and Ocean Course at the National.

I actually like Royal Sydney.

Over-rated means that it didn't live up to the wraps on them. Are you saying 3putt that Moonah Links and National Ocean had wraps on them at some point, or conversely, that you knew they were shockers, prior to playing them, and they actually turned out to be worse than what you expected?

#17 John J Jones

John J Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2765 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 07:27 AM

Henry,

Just had a read of Thommo's article. Extremely interesting :?

I think that the concept of surveying the members about their course to see if there are any issues is a fantastic idea. One or two courses where just such a survey would make interesting reading spring to mind.

JJ

#18 damo

damo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1139 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 07:31 AM

Mac - just because it's not in your top 40 does that mean I can't call it overated ?!
bmc - totally agree with royal pines east - it is a shocker.
damo

#19 nfi

nfi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 10:56 PM

I rather like Royal Sydney as well, but I also think it is not really up there with the best. I seem to recall Colin Montgomery was a bit disappointed he had been brought all the way down for the Open a few years back.

Lake Karrinyup is also a tad over rated - brutally hard (ignore Els' -29, he was on drugs I'm sure) but not much fun or interest.

In summary it would seem we are picking on courses that are ranked highly because of prestige or the difficulty of becoming a member.

Twas always thus!

#20 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 11:48 PM

I think I saw Capricorn INternational's Old Course rated highly somewhere. Great Course and nice to play but no where near the top 50 in the Country and a very poor 2nd to the New Course.

Still, plenty worse tracks going around.

#21 mac

mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 03:26 AM

damo
RQ was sadly a much better golf course in the mid-seventies.It was probably under rated then and it seems to rely on the reputation it deservedly built a long time ago.

#22 cookiemonster

cookiemonster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 04:43 AM

I know you guys all like it, but Ranfurlie has to be the most boring course I've ever played. The fairways were incredibly wide and with no trees it just lacked challenge. And my wife hated it more than I did.

Cheers

CM

#23 MatthewM

MatthewM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 04:56 AM

Cookiemonster - I'll bite.

Do you think wide fairways are always easy ?

Did you dislike the appearance of the place or the strategic aspects of the course?

Are trees really needed for a challenge on the golf course ?

Just curious

Matthew

#24 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 05:03 AM

cookiemonster,
I have agree with you: courses with lots of options off the tee, great looking bunkers and lots of short-game interest are always over-rated. 8O

You'd probably hate the Old Course too.

#25 cookiemonster

cookiemonster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 05:15 AM

wow, you guys are quick. MatthewM, it is not a pretty golf course, and call me shallow, but I like a bit of eye candy. Henry, have you played it? The fairways are a million miles wide and you can hit it nearly anywhere and still have a shot at the green. The bunkers and greens were good though, but I just don't think its as great as you guys all make out.

#26 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 05:20 AM

cookiemonster,
I've played it four times. I think its a pretty course: not conventionally "pretty", but the bunkers look awesome and I'll never tire of glancing across fairways bordered by beautiful golden-brown rough.

The fairways are a million miles wide and you can hit it nearly anywhere and still have a shot at the green

It's called "strategy". If you want a penal design, you're looking at the wrong course. As Bobby Jones said "the difficulty of the second-shot should be proportional to the excellence of the first": in evidence at Ranfurlie.

#27 MatthewM

MatthewM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 05:25 AM

C/monster - I've just finished work and only logged on then - hence the speedy reply. I've not seen the course yet, but I am busting to, and am very keen to get your perspective.

In my experience, fairways in windy areas are best if they're wide as they allow play for all sorts of grades of golfers, and don't see people losing their golf ball.

Knowing Mike Clayton's philosophy, favourite courses, and the quality of his work to this point, I reckon if you look hard enough at Ranfurlie, that an ideal line on a small segment of those wide fairways would be found, often close to a small hazard or the inside of a dog leg etc.

Agreed, you could spray it off the tee, would have a second shot, and may even find yourself able to get to the green, but I'd reckon you had to negotiate some hazards, or tough angles, or away sloping greens as a consequence of the errant tee ball. I think this is great golf. Does this sort of thing exist at Ranfurlie, on reflection ?

If you like eye candy, that's cool. It certainly has it's place, but a course can still be great without it. Take Carnoustie, which I was only thinking about today. It is as bleek and as austere as a doctor's waiting room, yet it's a phenomenal course.

Whaddaya reckon ?

Matthew

#28 aggiii

aggiii

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 06:33 AM

Jack seemed to not like the 'AWFUL' lake on the 17th at Kooyonga. Although it may be a tad out of character for the course, i think it serves a good purpose. WEll positioned on a hole which needs a bit more of a challenge on such a critical hole, especially during a tournament.

#29 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 07:23 AM

Aggiii

The lake on 17 at Kooyonga is a disgrace. Not only is it COMPLETELY out of character with the rest of the course (the good stuff - whats left of it), but it is poorly built and too penal for the average player. A bunker would have achieved the same outcome, and would at least look in character (provided TWP didn't do it of course)

#30 aggiii

aggiii

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 08:31 AM

I would have to diagree that the lake is too penal fort he average player, the green is so wide, you can hit the left side of the green, yet still be 20 metres from the water,, so it really isn't that hard to play safe...i thinkit is quite a good change to the course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users