400 replies to this topic

#1 Jarrod

Jarrod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 04:38 AM

Which courses have you played, where you've walked away thinking that the course didn't live up to the hype? Courses which enjoy good reputations, and arent really all they're cracked up to be. I mean, like the Huntingdale's and Royal Sydney's of this world. Places that turn out to be fairly ordinary when put under the microscope. They are my two nominations for the most overrated course in the land. How about others?

#2 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 04:51 AM

Jarrod, I think we may have done this before but here goes:

Metropolitan: flat, no truly memorable holes, great conditioning, but overall the experience of playing there is just a little bland. Where are the great holes that make a great course? Play instead at Woodlands, Victoria or Commonwealth where there is far more strategic interest to keep you interested.

Kooyonga: Cannot understand how a course that has been raped and pillaged by nearly every architect in the land, resulting in so many clashing styles, can be rated so highly. If it weren't in SA (and therefore has to be ranked high to keep their average up) it woudn't make the top 25. Of course, properly restored with its original bunkering, and with that awful lake on 17 filled in, it could be a different story.

Dishonourable mention to Moonah Links (although the rankings haven't been passed on it yet), but it was certainly one course where I walked away thinking I'd wasted my $75 and would definitely never return. The Dunes at $45 is 10 times the course that Moonah Links is.

#3 damo

damo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1139 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 06:18 AM

Royal Queensland is the most overated course I have ever played.
damo

#4 joe

joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 06:50 AM

I'm gonna step up & say 'The Australian'. It's a good course, but it reminds me of a lot of American courses.

I see a lot of courses below it on the rating that I think are better, more interesting courses.

#5 mac

mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 09:23 AM

The Australian has to be the most over rated in the country.
Ranked # 8 by Golf Aust .It is there because every panelist rated it between 12 and 15 except Parry who had it at 3.
Because of its consistancy and one high mark it finishes at 8.
The original course at The Australian would never have been out of the top 6 on anybodys list - right there next to Commonwealth.

Kooyonga
Royal Queensland?
How can it be over rated when nobody rates it in the top 40 ?

#6 Jarrod

Jarrod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 10:24 AM

I forgot to put The Vines in there. Big wraps on the course, and a pretty high rating, but it was just another suburban track in many ways.

#7 John J Jones

John J Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2765 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 10:37 AM

Royal Sydney - turn to my playing partner on the 10th and said "please tell me they don't play Australian Open's here". The middle of the basin is very reminiscent of Albert Park, and I'm being kind. Any course who's most talked about feature is it's club house has to have problems.

The Lakes. Couple of average par 3's to finish each nine, one side of the road completely different golf course to the other side and last of all random chunks of Kikuyu that kill the ground game. Oh and the recent addition of those sensational TWP grass faced bunkers everywhere is just the thing to send it over the edge.

JJ

#8 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 11:05 AM

I forgot to put The Vines in there. Big wraps on the course, and a pretty high rating, but it was just another suburban track in many ways.

Joondalup for me...

Given the choice, I rather play Vines...

#9 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 05:19 PM

JJJ,
Did you enjoy Peter Thomson's piece in the Age during the week about his work at The Lakes? Incredble.

#10 joe

joe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 12:14 AM

The Lakes lost it's distiction of style years ago. JJJ said across the road was like a different course. I think the whole thing seems like about 5 different courses.

#11 3putt

3putt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 05:19 AM

Huntingdale (more after the changes), Moonah Links and Ocean Course at the National.

I actually like Royal Sydney.

#12 Gordy

Gordy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 06:23 AM

Cypress Lakes by a mile for me. Often ranks well in the magazine lists but has some stupid cambers on fairways that feed well struck shots into trouble and there are far too many blind shots. The 9th (I think) requires a long iron into an elevated green and if you come up short your ball rolls down into a permanently wet are from which pitching is very tough. At $95 odd a game - no thanks.

#13 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 06:27 AM

3putt,
Lots of people like Royal Sydney. But is it worthy of top 10 recognition? (I wouldn't know: the closest I've come to RS is the front gate)

#14 Gordy

Gordy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 06:32 AM

Did you have your dog with you Henry? They might have let you on otherwise. biggrin.gif

#15 bmc

bmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 06:38 AM

Royal Pines East. They should be digging it up instead of the West course. Why on earth would you give it the courtesy of a major ladies tour event.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users