Photo

Getting a handicap other than joining a Club, options?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25693 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:43 AM

I'm with you, Walrus. Golflink only do as GA tell them. If GA approve of any club as being OK for golflink, then that handicap is valid. If a club is found to be not doing the right thing as far as comps, handicaps, etc are concerned, GA can withdraw their golflink 'priviledges'. Markins, I don't know what Rosnay could be on about, unless you were claiming reciprocal rights for free green fees. What sort of bunch of pricks are they? Very few clubs associated with public golf courses would have their own licensed premises. That's not only the 'poor cousin' clubs at council run courses, but also those connected with the up-market mega-buck golf & housing developments. I think Rosnay need some pepper up their nostrils.

#32 Nos_from_Maroubra

Nos_from_Maroubra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:10 AM

Walrus, with respect to you and others if all of us took the approach you are promoting, i could envisage that we would have very few courses to play on and of those few I would guess would not be better than goat tracks mantained by council's park keepers. If it weren't for most of us paying for a club membership, we'd be fighting for any spot on these few courses. From my understanding, the money required to maintain a good (to top) course these days comes from membership fee's (incl new member joining fee), licensed club revenues and corporate patronage in this order. Revenues from non-members or from social players cannot be relied upon as a steady stream of income (as in rain-affected days, few players show) so clubs could not employ the necessary staff or commit to leasing / purchasing vital equipment required for maintenance. Also where would the money and support come from for new works such as green & tee replacements & junior golf development? Currently this comes from membership fees or dare I say, levies.

#33 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:14 AM

Far point well made Nos FM I agree (now I think about it) what you say makes sense and on this information alone I have made my decision to join a course in the Hunter Valley I'd been considering. Its not a huge fee (for out of town members its piss cheap in truth!) and I often play there anyway, so thanks for your input and words of wisdom. I will now pay my fees and keep my conscience clear safe in the knowledge that I am a member supporting a local club! Cheers

#34 markinsydney

markinsydney

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

Hi all Thanks for your support OldBogey. Rosnay aren't a bunch a pricks. Maybe a little misguided, and about to get an unequivocal clarification from Golf Australia on the subject. I had an extensive discussion with the head of GCNSW on this. We are full Golflink and Golf Australia members, members of a legitimate affiliated club (that is affiliated with GA) and welcome to play in any open competition. These virtual clubs serve many like us who travel alot, are new to golf and 'testing the water' or, like me, needed to park their handicap for a year. I'll be moving on from GCNSW after they amalgamate with NSW Golf Assoc soon. I am a little disappointed with Nos_from_Maroubra's comment: our handicaps are administered by the same computer as your's Nos. We play by the rules of the club in who's competition we participate, like you. These virtual clubs fill a gap in amateur golf in Australia, and we are not inferior members. For the record, EVERYONE, irrespective of where they hold their handicap is an 'affiliate' of Golflink, on behalf of Golf Australia. So your Golflink card is your affiliation. All Golflink members are equal. This is not my opinion, this is the fact as explained to me by Golf Australia this week, and I believe information is about to be disseminated to all 400 clubs in NSW who participate in Golflink to that effect. All-in-all, it's been a minor storm which has given us all clarification. Let the politics end and the golf begin. Mark

#35 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3991 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:12 PM

Hi all

Thanks for your support OldBogey. Rosnay aren’t a bunch a pricks. Maybe a little misguided, and about to get an unequivocal clarification from Golf Australia on the subject.

I had an extensive discussion with the head of GCNSW on this. We are full Golflink and Golf Australia members, members of a legitimate affiliated club (that is affiliated with GA) and welcome to play in any open competition. These virtual clubs serve many like us who travel alot, are new to golf and ‘testing the water’ or, like me, needed to park their handicap for a year. I’ll be moving on from GCNSW after they amalgamate with NSW Golf Assoc soon.

I am a little disappointed with Nos_from_Maroubra’s comment: our handicaps are administered by the same computer as your’s Nos. We play by the rules of the club in who’s competition we participate, like you. These virtual clubs fill a gap in amateur golf in Australia, and we are not inferior members.

For the record, EVERYONE, irrespective of where they hold their handicap is an ‘affiliate’ of Golflink, on behalf of Golf Australia. So your Golflink card is your affiliation. All Golflink members are equal. This is not my opinion, this is the fact as explained to me by Golf Australia this week, and I believe information is about to be disseminated to all 400 clubs in NSW who participate in Golflink to that effect.

All-in-all, it’s been a minor storm which has given us all clarification. Let the politics end and the golf begin.

Mark

Well delivered piece of clarification that will not only clear the air in the post but be doing the same in the 'real' world out of the argy bargy of cyberspace. In fact it would be a good thing to be delivered to every golf club in Australia and not just NSW. I am a member of a private golf club and enjoy the rights and ability to play golf that my annual fee gives me. I also value and enjoy the substantial income that comes from green fees from visitors. Without this income our club would not have the staff and facilities that make it opperate efficiently.

#36 Schmuck

Schmuck

B grade Chopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11122 posts
  • LocationThat's me behind the GOAT

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:10 AM

Hi all

Thanks for your support OldBogey. Rosnay aren’t a bunch a pricks. Maybe a little misguided, and about to get an unequivocal clarification from Golf Australia on the subject.

I had an extensive discussion with the head of GCNSW on this. We are full Golflink and Golf Australia members, members of a legitimate affiliated club (that is affiliated with GA) and welcome to play in any open competition. These virtual clubs serve many like us who travel alot, are new to golf and ‘testing the water’ or, like me, needed to park their handicap for a year. I’ll be moving on from GCNSW after they amalgamate with NSW Golf Assoc soon.

I am a little disappointed with Nos_from_Maroubra’s comment: our handicaps are administered by the same computer as your’s Nos. We play by the rules of the club in who’s competition we participate, like you. These virtual clubs fill a gap in amateur golf in Australia, and we are not inferior members.

For the record, EVERYONE, irrespective of where they hold their handicap is an ‘affiliate’ of Golflink, on behalf of Golf Australia. So your Golflink card is your affiliation. All Golflink members are equal. This is not my opinion, this is the fact as explained to me by Golf Australia this week, and I believe information is about to be disseminated to all 400 clubs in NSW who participate in Golflink to that effect.

All-in-all, it’s been a minor storm which has given us all clarification. Let the politics end and the golf begin.

Mark

You're right 'markinsydney', Rosnay aren't a bunch of pricks, just a group of golfers who generally choose to be members of a 'good value' golf club on a council course in the centre of Sydney. I was a member till recently (and infrequent player) for 5+ years. They are however battlers when it comes to running a club & have many well meaning volunteers who struggle to keep the whole thing going professionally. An example of which I think you have encountered. Please don't think I'm bagging the place, they are a good bunch of people with a great little course.

#37 hangingout

hangingout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

Why pay for a golf access card and not join a country club to support an actual club? Same cost, get a golf link card and you're supporting a country club that's probably doing it tough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users