Photo

Getting a handicap other than joining a Club, options?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 Twistedpear

Twistedpear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

Digging up an old thread here for good reason…

I was a member of a club but because I often find myself away at weekends I hardly ever got to play in the club comp or get full use of the membership, so I let the membership run out.

My Golf Link handicap and login is still up on the Golf Link website but I’m told by Golf Link that a new number will be issued if I joined Golf Access…

Soooo, seeing as there was some disagreement about this issue I was keen to know if there was any further info or developments since it was last discussed? Or maybe there is another thread I have missed?

Never underestimate the power of ignorance!

Social Clubs like Bushranger Golf can issue you a vaild Golflink handicap. Drop them an email and see what they can do for you. The email address is on the linked page. Not sure where you're based, but the Bushrangers are affiliated with the SGA Tour, which runs events in Vic, NSW, WA and SE QLD, so if you're looking for a hit you could go along to those rounds you want to play.

#17 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3365 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:52 PM

Digging up an old thread here for good reason…

I was a member of a club but because I often find myself away at weekends I hardly ever got to play in the club comp or get full use of the membership, so I let the membership run out.

My Golf Link handicap and login is still up on the Golf Link website but I’m told by Golf Link that a new number will be issued if I joined Golf Access…

Soooo, seeing as there was some disagreement about this issue I was keen to know if there was any further info or developments since it was last discussed? Or maybe there is another thread I have missed?

Never underestimate the power of ignorance!

Technically you are not eligible for golf access in your situation. So in theory that rules out providers like Bushranger. GA could exempt you from the two year rule but its pretty rare. Probably your best option would be to join a small country club that offers memberships for relatively nominal rates. I know that some of the Murray clubs have cheap memberships and Kyabram is very cheap too.

#18 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25693 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:10 AM

Olinda is $80 p.a. and we should be able to continue your handicap history. If you aren't a Melbournian, then I'm sure you could find a suitable club in your area.

#19 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24065 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:54 AM

ryan is in newcastle, well he was before he moved....

#20 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9962 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:57 AM

High Cliffmanley. not sure where you are located but do what many of my friends have done. join the club in a country region in state where you go on holidays or go for work trips etc. A number of clubs for example along murray region in victoria are cheap to join and give you reciprical rights with certain city clubs in all states. for example I believe Howlong golf club has reciprical rights to RM and is cheap to join. Iam sure you will find a country course which is of good value and fun to play. good luck in your search

#21 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25693 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:58 AM

With those reciprocal rights jobs, you are limited to about 6 games a year. Check that before forking out the hard earned.

#22 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:07 PM

Yes still in Newcastle KIWI Interesting comments guys, cheers. I have emailed Golf Access direct to get some answers but have been told by one of their affiliates that 'most' clubs accept it but it is up to each club individually and they are not obliged to accept it. I am waiting to get a reply from Golf Access to confirm or deny this. There is a decent club in the Hunter Valley that I've played a few times offering an out of town membership for about $220 so this seems to be my next option.

#23 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9962 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:51 AM

two ways to go: Golf access is generally offered by public golf courses. Our local course offers golf access and run a comp on weekend for those with a golf access card or golf link card. check with your local public course on what they offer, as long as you nominate them as your home club to handle your handicap you can play anywhere with the card, hcih is what you want. Even Bona Fide golf clubs such as social clubs (those social clubs who run comps under rules of golf can issue you with a golf link number and away you go) My mate has a golf link handicap through his social club Inc and he has played at my "prestige" golf course many times with out question. This might be another way to go.

#24 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:26 AM

Cheers Canbreak. Is there a list of these social clubs anywhere or do I just need to do some research?

#25 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9962 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:40 AM

Hi Walrus which state or capital city do you live in bushrangers golf are good,(dont know web site -look up) but they are in Vic and WA

#26 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:10 AM

Not even close mate, but thanks. I'm in Newcastle NSW

#27 Handicap2hi

Handicap2hi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:32 PM

Check out the pay as you play $120 at Shortland waters, may be worth a look

#28 markinsydney

markinsydney

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:54 AM

Hi all I'd like to weigh in on this topic. I belong to Golfers' Club of NSW (basically it's Women's Golf NSW under a different name so men can join). I pay $125 a year and have a Golflink handicap. I regularly play at Rosnay GC at Auburn in Sydney...great people. But today was told that they don't recognise GCNSW as a legitimate club as it doesn't have a licensed premises, so I wasn't welcome to play in their comps. I wasn't impressed. Especially when I was told by a starter who seemed to take great delight in telling me, and everyone else in the suburb. Rosnay is NOT the equivalent of Oatlands or Ryde-Parramatta: It's just a good local course full of good people who [generally] make you feel welcome. I found a list of GCs which are 'affiliated' with WGNSW...not every club in NSW, but 400, including Rosnay women's. I'm now trying to find out how a club which recognises women GCNSW members doesn't recognise male GCNSW members under their constitution. I think Golf Australia may be brought in to decide exactly what is an 'affiliated handicap', what is an 'affiliated club', and exactly what can those peasants like me who belong to Golf Access, Golf Assoc, WGNSW, GCNSW, Bushrangers etc, participate in. Stay tuned.

#29 Nos_from_Maroubra

Nos_from_Maroubra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

Join a club Cliffy or just be happy to play socially until you do so. I certainly do not wish to play against you in a comp knowing that you do not belong to a club that can supervise and keep an eye on your h'cap - required even with golflink.

#30 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:41 PM

Nos from Maroubra Although Cliff started this thread I was the one that dug it up again...I don't understand why you would object so much? I was a member of a club but it simply wasn't worth the expense as I was hardly ever able to play there due to traveling around the region....therefore I ended up playing other courses/comps. I want to have a handicap to play in comps and certainly wouldn't be taking this route just to be able to pull a fast one and get a higher handicap. Surely if I was handing in cards my handicap could only change based on these scores and no supervision would be required?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users