Photo

Getting a handicap other than joining a Club, options?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Cliffmanley

Cliffmanley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2831 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:00 PM

Ok, I have been discussing this on other threads and have decided to post a separate thread. I want to get my handicap back, without joining a club. Why? Because I am not settled where we currently live, I don't believe it is a good investment to spend big dollars on a club membership when in 6 months it won't be relevant. I do want to play competitive golf however, and the only way to do that is to have a current AGU Handicap. What are my options? i can't see why this shouldn't be possible with the current handicapping system in Australia, as a matter of fact I know it is possible because there is a website offering it at a price. Too much for me though.... Any suggestions would be welcome.

#2 Scrambler

Scrambler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:09 PM

http://www.golfaustr...=golfaccesshome

#3 Cliffmanley

Cliffmanley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2831 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:56 PM

ahh thankyou, someone with some common sense at at last.

#4 HitNhope

HitNhope

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14865 posts
  • LocationHere but not There

Posted 10 May 2008 - 12:13 AM

Cliff Manley

3 bad shots and 1 good shot is still a 4....
Golf is played in a very small area, the 6 inches between your ears...

One swing to hit the ball,
one swing to find a score,
One swing you bring to all,
And on the fairway find them.

That's not what you said in the other thread cliff. The steam valve must have been turned off. lol:)

#5 Scrambler

Scrambler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:02 AM

Cliff Manley

3 bad shots and 1 good shot is still a 4....
Golf is played in a very small area, the 6 inches between your ears...

One swing to hit the ball,
one swing to find a score,
One swing you bring to all,
And on the fairway find them.

Are you kidding?? I only told you about Golf Access two or three times in the other thread...

#6 PingZing

PingZing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:17 AM

Hey Cliff - see what happens when you give this ice pipe a rest. The world becomes a little clearer.

#7 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:34 AM

Please note this only gives you an "affiliate" handicap, rather than a full handicap and limits your options. Do not expect Royal Melbourne to accept it - they won't. I suspect you may find a lot of open days at better clubs will not accept this -

#8 Cliffmanley

Cliffmanley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2831 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 02:40 AM

Please note this only gives you an “affiliate” handicap, rather than a full handicap and limits your options. Do not expect Royal Melbourne to accept it – they won’t.

I suspect you may find a lot of open days at better clubs will not accept this -

Yeah well that doesn't surprise me, especially considering everything I have learnt about GA in the last day....typical

#9 drgazgiz

drgazgiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3298 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:38 AM

Please note this only gives you an “affiliate” handicap, rather than a full handicap and limits your options. Do not expect Royal Melbourne to accept it – they won’t.

I suspect you may find a lot of open days at better clubs will not accept this -

That's not correct. There is no such thing as an "affiliate" handicap any more. The old Golf Pass handicap was not accepted everywhere, but Golf Access gives you a full GolfLink handicap that any club will accept.

#10 Cliffmanley

Cliffmanley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2831 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:56 AM

That’s not correct. There is no such thing as an “affiliate” handicap any more. The old Golf Pass handicap was not accepted everywhere, but Golf Access gives you a full GolfLink handicap that any club will accept.

Trentham Golf Club
http://www.trenthamgolf.com

Well, good news. I hope you are right....because that is what I want.

#11 RABBITSFOR08

RABBITSFOR08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:07 AM

not true, just off the top of my head muirfield (sydney) doesn't accept golf access golf access is still known as an 'affiliate' handicap, don't really see why it cant be normal

#12 Cliffmanley

Cliffmanley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2831 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:13 AM

not true, just off the top of my head muirfield (sydney) doesn’t accept golf access

golf access is still known as an ‘affiliate’ handicap, don’t really see why it cant be normal

It seems we (meaning many of the "important" golfers) are still mired in the Eliteist view that you are nothing if you aren't a member.... This once again gets back to the root of why golf is struggling in Australia....

#13 drgazgiz

drgazgiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3298 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:30 AM

Then the problem has got nothing to do with Golf Australia, and everything to do with a few recalcitrant clubs. Golf Access issues valid GolfLink handicaps that are maintained through competitions, the same as any other GolfLink handicap. If a club doesn't accept a player who has a GolfLink handicap for reasons of his handicap, the player has every right to complain to Golf Australia. Maybe they are not accepting them because they are not a member of a recognised club, and it has nothing to do with their handicap. Either way, GA is not to blame. Blame Muirfield.

#14 EasyGame

EasyGame

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:49 PM

I had a Golf Access handicap prior to joining a club a couple of years ago and never had any problems getting on a course for open competition. I always made sure that when I rang in the booking that they knew I was GA. If a club doesn't want you to play on their course then it is up to the individual club - nothing to do with GA or Golf Access. Even with reicprocal arrangements- if they don't want you on then that is it.

#15 TheWalrus

TheWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3596 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:57 PM

Digging up an old thread here for good reason... I was a member of a club but because I often find myself away at weekends I hardly ever got to play in the club comp or get full use of the membership, so I let the membership run out. My Golf Link handicap and login is still up on the Golf Link website but I'm told by Golf Link that a new number will be issued if I joined Golf Access... Soooo, seeing as there was some disagreement about this issue I was keen to know if there was any further info or developments since it was last discussed? Or maybe there is another thread I have missed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users