• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Whillock

Whillock

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 06:51 AM

Can anyone help me. I am going up to Hervey Bay in in December and wanted to know what courses are a worthy of playing?

#2 divot1372662237

divot1372662237

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:03 PM

There are four courses in Hervey Bay. I only recommend two. The Hervey Bay golf course is the premier golf course in the area. 18 holes, excellent condition. Not particularly testing for advanced players, though. I can't remember the social days, so best to call first. The other one is the Craignish golf course. Also 18 holes. It's not in as good nick as the Hervey Bay golf course (good enough to enjoy though) and is arguably as challenging as the Hervey Bay course or more challenging. No bunkers - but plenty of trees and water. Every day is a social day, but comps are held on Saturday mornings. The two to avoid are Fraser Lakes golf course and Eagle's Nest golf course. Fraser Lakes is immediately adjacent to the Craignish golf course - 18 holes but in very poor condition. Give this one a wide berth particularly after rain (it should be called "Fraser Swamps"). Eagle's Nest is near the airport. 9 very short holes and very simple greens. Best for beginners. They're both playable 7 days. From what I've been told, the Maryborough golf course is worth checking out. There are two others in the area that I don't know anything about (sorry) - The Eaton Vale golf course in Maryborough and the Burrum Districts golf course in Howard. I think part of the reason I haven't heard much about them is that they're not fantastic courses.

#3 mollyduke

mollyduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:58 AM

Have played all the courses in the area and without doubt the Maryborough golf course is the best. Not overly long, out 34 in 36 but a real challange. Tight tree lined fairways, water on 3 holes. Give it a go, yu won't be dissapointed.

#4 aflumpire

aflumpire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 07:50 AM

if u want just a short hit one afternoon to kill some time, take a drive over to Howard and try their little course. Not the best and just a hacker course but you get your moneys worth

#5 divot1372662237

divot1372662237

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:27 AM

Have played all the courses in the area and without doubt the Maryborough golf course is the best. Easily trumping the Hervey Bay golf course. Not overly long, out 34 in 36 but a real challange. Tight tree lined fairways, water on 3 holes. Give it a go, yu won’t be dissapointed.

I played this course today and have to agree that it's the best course in the area. The greens are beautifully kept, the fairways are plush and it's very scenic. I counted 4 holes where water can come into play (7, 8, 9 and 18). I don't agree that it's a real challenge, but I guess that depends on how well you play on the day :) Prices are good, staff are friendly. A genuine country club golf course.

#6 Taylorman

Taylorman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

Try tin can bay...

#7 dribadawo

dribadawo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1815 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

I grew up in Gympie and have a soft spot for Gympie Golf Club. Not the best course, but has some quite challenging and a good club house. Definately worth the drive if you get time

#8 cetaleche

cetaleche

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:59 AM

Can anyone give a more up to date review on this? I'm headed up there soon & looking to have a hit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users