362 replies to this topic

#346 golf4meandbirdie

golf4meandbirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:07 AM

still $59 is still rather hot, admittedly not for $175! but...that aside (because the boys in the pro shop give you that price anyway if there's more than a couple of you) and there's not much of a club house culture for your $2K. I'm already a member at another club - might be cheeky and branded a car park member but just thought the $2K is a tad high for Sats only and not much in the way of weekly comps as yet and what do they charge to go in them? $2K can get you it all at Moonah.

#347 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19986 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:38 PM

I'm all booked in again for Saturday ....... 11:06 with the beloved. Hopefully the weather won't be too bad, as it's forecasting rain and wind, just for a change. I'm really looking forward to getting back onto the tee of the 147metre Par 3 ..... 11th hole. The last two times I've played it ......... I've put both tee shots directly over the rear pin positioned flag, and got to watch the balls trickle back down the slope towards the hole. The last time, I drained the 6 foot birdie putt ....... and the time before that .............. I had a 3 inch, tap in birdie putt. If only it would have rolled a couple more times ...... it would have dropped for a hole in one .... sigh!! I figure the more I play this hole, the closer I will be to getting that elusive hole in one.

#348 golf4meandbirdie

golf4meandbirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:19 AM

I rang the other day, their new GC and membership deal is apparently "targeted to the golfer wanting to get a handicap and those who have a passion for golf". Compared to other clubs they're "not the same business model" (there are a few resort/privately owned clubs within spitting distance) other than playing rights, some comps and no club events despite GGC being a member of the district association. It sounds like there are only a few members and no females, no clubhouse and one course compared to Moonah, The Dunes and The National who are in direct competition - one wonders at those prices how they've got any members at all!

#349 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3356 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:53 AM

Doesn't surprise they have found a few people willing to pony up. Its an extremely good course, there are allways some people with the readies willing to pay for quality. If you play there 1 to 2 times a week or more on average you willl get your moneys worth.

#350 golf4meandbirdie

golf4meandbirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

correct Hawkers, the perennial problem for us workers is that we pay top dollar for 2 day access, ie Sat comps and Sun play/practice if you can escape twice x 4-5 hrs in a w/e. I reckon the course is a quality track too, but as I'm already member of another course, I will be giving Moonah my moolah for the next year to improve my golf on a tougher track, until I see what happens at SAB. Might be like The Dunes, only needs 200 members to pay the bills so zero interest in getting more.

#351 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19986 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:24 PM

Back to St AB tomorrow morning, after a weekends absence, playing the other side of the city at Growling Frog last weekend. It will be so nice to get back onto firm but lush fairways .........

#352 koiom K. Asterisk*

koiom K. Asterisk*

I got this

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12158 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:37 AM

can someone please explain to me why STAB has a course rating of only 69? i've only played there once, and yes it's a par 70, but i'm pretty sure it should be rated higher than 69.

#353 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1659 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:50 PM

Best to ring the club. I doubt whether the course rating would be 69 off the back blocks.

#354 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3356 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:19 AM

69 is the white course, I think the blacks are something like 72.

#355 SJS90

SJS90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:44 AM

can someone please explain to me why STAB has a course rating of only 69?
i’ve only played there once, and yes it’s a par 70, but i’m pretty sure it should be rated higher than 69.

Because the ratings of Aust. courses are ridiculous and generally seem to have no actual bearing on the difficulty of any course!

#356 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19986 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:44 PM

Quite right SJS. I figure they must have done the rating on the one and only day the wind wasn't blowing ..... and the course was even firmer than usual.

#357 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1659 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

A lot of guys do not understand how the course ratings are applied to a golf course. My suggestion, in answer to the above comments, is chat to one of the State volunteers who work in a team to establish the various course ratings. Then you will understand that they work to very strict guidelines to complete their tasks. I think your views will change if you get the opportunity !

#358 golf4meandbirdie

golf4meandbirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 06:34 AM

St Andrews has a two for one on Father's day but otherwise checking the membership info, it seems that unless you pay for midweek or unlimited playing rights then you get very little discount other than $59 per round. Mind you for $175 membership or thereabouts, that's cool but was just hopeful you might get a small discount for arvo deals but not so. It just doesn't stack up against other nearby clubs for value despite being one of my fav courses.

#359 madgolferss

madgolferss

Suspect

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

does anyone know what is going on with St Andrews Beach golf course near Rye? The word is that it's closing. Just not viable to keep open. I did play it a few weeks back and it was dead quite.

#360 2manybogeys

2manybogeys

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:36 AM

does anyone know what is going on with St Andrews Beach golf course near Rye? The word is that it’s closing. Just not viable to keep open. I did play it a few weeks back and it was dead quite.

Hope not it's a gem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users