112 replies to this topic

#16 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 02:32 AM

A lot of people are moving to QLD because you don't have a levy on your petrol!
The rest are retiring rich people who have made a fortune in Victoria becasue of the great way of life down here and once thy reach retirement age, that want the slow, easy going life style of a backwoods type of Country, like QLD! :wink:

QLD, beautiful one day, all out for 76 the next!

Ohhhhhhhhh, that's right, you QLD'ers have an excuse for preparing such a bad pitch for the final, the weather was crook...should have played it here, 31 and sunny both days this weekend.

It only rains at night and even then it's only over farms and Dams in Victoria anyway!! biggrin.gif

#17 golfer69

golfer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5258 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 02:44 AM

judge, that was an absolute classic !
I almost have no comeback for that effort.
Except we did reach 84 in our first dig and it did take a virtual Australia A side to knock us over.
I also didn't realise the guys in other states not involved in the final kept an interest.
I also think that the mighty Brisbane Lions, winners of the last TWO flags, training on the Gabba didn't help the pitch preparation much either.

On another note, last nights Sein episode featured The moops line, and I almost fell off the lounge when Jerry wrote "there's nothin finer than being in your diner".

#18 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 02:48 AM

oop's I edited this as I posted it twice...fancy making a stuff up in this thread!!!!!!!!!!! :oops:

#19 admin

admin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6360 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 02:53 AM

Heya duke,

SE Qld:
Weather - yes
beaches - yes
mangoes - yes
the Gabba - yep

But there is precious little in the way of alternate culture - ???

1. Very few alternate restaurants?? - Coolum is not the spot to be living if you want a choice of restaurants unless it is McDonalds. I live in inner city brisbane and there is more choice than you can poke a fork at. Tibetan, Ittalian, Greek, Lebanese, Spanish, Russian, Mexican, Aussie, Big plates with not much on it restaurants etc etc etc

2. Very poor AFL coverage - yep and same would go for League in Melbourne. Of course you have Foxtel with the AFL if you really need it.

3. No daylight savings...Hmmmm must agree with you there!

J
ISG

#20 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 03:14 AM

One of the reason the League coverage is poor down here is it's such a 2nd rate game compared to AFL. I wish though our AFL players took as much pride in the Interstate Games as you guys do your's. Ted Whitten would be spinning in his grave if he knew what was going on!

#21 Courty

Courty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 03:21 AM

Don't get me started on League vs. AFL! biggrin.gif

If AFL is such a 'great' game, how come no one plays it outside our borders:?:
They pick an Australian AFL side for what reason precisely:?::!:
And don't even start on that Gaelic football rubbish. What a joke that series turns out to be every time they play :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

#22 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 03:27 AM

No one is good enough to re creat what an Aussie has done...anyway, plenty of countrys play and are getting better...USA, Papua New Guinea, NZ, China, Japan, Sth Africa to name just a few. the international series was held here not long ago.
the main reason the game is only played here is because Australia is so far from the rest of the world. If it had it's begginings in Europe, it would more than likely be the most popu;ar game in the world.
Now I know why you like this forum Courty, you can read a conversation because if your an ex league player you probably can't hear a conversation due to your cauliflower ears!!!!!!!! :wink:

#23 Courty

Courty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 03:45 AM

Haha, good one judge biggrin.gif

Actually, I never played any football. I have (and still do) played basketball since I was 12. I chose a sport that requires more than one or two skills to be mastered ("You want me to run AND bounce the ball at the same time?!") :mrgreen:
I chose a sport where someone who is not athletically gifted, but is smart, can be very effective and dominate at the highest level (read: Andrew Gaze). :megreen:
I chose a thinking man's contact sport (I know I'm going to cop it for that one) which is more widely played than AFL, League or Union. :mrgreen:
I just enjoy watching Rugby League (and Union). As much as I have tried, I just can't get into Aussie Rules. :
I guess it depends on how and where you are brought up. :?

#24 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 03:47 AM

give it a few more years and we'll prob see the USA have a cricket team and an 'AFL' league...they hate to be lousy at a 'world' sport...

case in point, their soccer team's result at the world cup...

don't get me wrong...I hope they fall flat on their faces, but it's too much of an ego thing for the yanks...

#25 admin

admin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6360 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 04:22 AM

AFL...ughh!! Gives me a headache, there are no rules and they run around a park and see who they can mame and, then if they don't quite get the kick straight then they still get points...too easy! :wink: :mrgreen:

J
ISG

#26 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 04:26 AM

they run around a park and see who they can mame

At least we don't ahve thugs throwing wild haymakers and then for punishment get sent to the corner for 5 minutes. If Gordon Tallis did that in the AFL he would get 10 weeks.
You blokes are thugs! :wink:

Now all you league Fans, stick your index finger in your ear and twist it...why...just to experience a John Hopoate high tackle!!!!! laugh.gif

#27 judgesmails

judgesmails

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7281 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 04:28 AM

And Bush is worried a bout War in Iraq...it's about to explode in this thread!!!!!!!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

#28 onewood

onewood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4484 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 06:49 AM

Do they have day light savings in Iraq

#29 duke750

duke750

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 07:19 AM

bebox

I take what you say about Coolum, but really the choice and scope of food in Brisbane does not compare to Melb. But did I mention what a wonderful climate we have?

#30 admin

admin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6360 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 07:54 AM

biggrin.gif Ahhhh this topic always brings out the flames. I am really just trying to match Mau's topic count biggrin.gif It's all fun and games and in the end there is no winner. Duke, I do like Melbourne actually but i couldn't hack the weather. I lived in Sydney for two years and I reckon that has a good mix of both cities...much better weather and the scope and choice of Melbourne, but it is just way too expensive...you can;t have it all I spose. biggrin.gif

J
ISG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users