94 replies to this topic

#31 Peter

Peter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1365 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:17 PM

Without trying to defend the Cashmores, isn't there a chance this work could turn out ok?

He may not have the best track record with renovations, but many on here seem to think that the quality of his work in designing / building new courses is quite good - if Portsea give very clear guidance and instructions on what they want from the renovations, is it possible that Tony will do a good job?

#32 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7146 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:29 PM

It's possible.

If you were renovating your house though Peter - when selecting an architect/builder, would you pick the bloke who butchered the bloke next doors place, butchered a few up the street. Got sacked halfway through butchering your mate around the corners place, but happened to build a nice place 10 years prior around the corner?

Or would you go for someone that comes highly reccomended due to the quality of their previous work, and maybe check a few things out first?

#33 Peter

Peter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1365 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:49 PM

Moe,

Obviously the latter - although I'm not sure if your analogy is entirely accurate. Is it that the builder butchered the other places? Or is it that the work he performed, while of good quality, didn't fit with the existing style of the house (thus diminishing the overall aesthetics and value of the property)?

Anyway, maybe Cashmore was a lot cheaper than the guy with the proven track record? And if the job is only small, perhaps Portsea think they can micro-manage him enough to ensure that the work does fit with the existing style of the course.

Granted, there are a lot of maybe's there - I doubt I would take the gamble (unless price was a major issue and he was significantly cheaper).

#34 Hux

Hux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:24 PM

Google Earth high-res co-ords for this course.

CODE
38°19'13.88"S, 144°42'25.17"E

Course map here.

#35 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:38 PM

Peter,

I think a lot of people here have missed the point. The selling of land and building of the clubhouse will affect 4-5 holes. it is hard to see how it could have anything but a ngeative affect on the course no matter which architect they chose. The choice of architect is secondary to the decision to change Portsea from an "old school" golf orientated club to a modern resort type establishment.

#36 dollar

dollar

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE: Jeffrey @ Apr 12 2007, 10:38 AM

Peter,

I think a lot of people here have missed the point. The selling of land and building of the clubhouse will affect 4-5 holes. it is hard to see how it could have anything but a ngeative affect on the course no matter which architect they chose. The choice of architect is secondary to the decision to change Portsea from an "old school" golf orientated club to a modern resort type establishment.

Gooday Fellas

I am heading down to the mornington peninsula for the first time with bunch of mates (we are from nsw) November this year.
Portsea was certainly one of the courses we intended to play.
Does anyone know any details when this work may commence or finish ?
Any details would be appreciated.

Thanks Dollar

#37 TheBlade

TheBlade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1506 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:53 AM

QUOTE: Boonie @ Mar 24 2007, 05:03 PM

History tells us that when 'minor changes' are supposedly required to a course it can set off a chain reaction of changes that continue for years and end up with a course barely recognisable from the 'original' - lets hope this is not the case here.

Indooroopilly is well on the way to this, courtesy of Ross Watson.

#38 TheBlade

TheBlade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1506 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:55 AM

QUOTE: Wilksie @ Mar 23 2007, 03:39 PM

We're mainly helping the Club with planning issues related to a small subdivision and new clubhouse. There will be some minor changes to the golf course required as well.

Portsea is one of the most enjoyable course's I have ever played. It is fantastic!
Cashmore, Wilksie and Co., I sincerely wish you all the best with the adjustments.

... don't !#$% it up!

#39 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7146 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE: TheBlade @ Apr 12 2007, 09:53 PM

Indooroopilly is well on the way to this, courtesy of Ross Watson.

Yes, but the course isn't that flash.

Really they're just turning an above average members course into a resort course with water hazards everywhere. I'm glad they're not doing much to the East - its the better track.

The fantastic Jug/Composite course will obviously be gone - but nobody ever played it anyway.

#40 golfer69

golfer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5258 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

Blade,
The club has decided to add a truckload of water storage ponds for the immenent loss of effluent water. I'm afraid that you can't just slap these new waterways in there without greatly effecting the layout of the West.
And I think the Resort course tag is a bit harsh.

#41 Salacious Crumb

Salacious Crumb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE: Jack @ Apr 12 2007, 08:24 AM

"Club President... said Cashmore made an outstanding presentation to take the club forward...Cashmores passion and desire gave him the edge over the other tenders"

I've heard there was no presentation but they approached Cashy. To take a huge chunk out of the middle of the superb course to build a new clubhouse on a site that is hardly enormous is idiotic. Not much point having a fantastic new clubhouse if you have ruined the course and can't get a tee time over summer due to house guests. And given accomodation professionals such as Peppers couldn't make a go of the Portsea market, there may not be too many guests. Having done such a great job of improving the course, it is a terrible shame to see them pointlessly chuck it all away.

Did they actually say what the 'passion and desire' was for?

Dollar, definitely see it before it is gawnnnnnnnn.

#42 JamesCashmore

JamesCashmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:52 AM

Guys;

*The Club is looking to realize some significant revenue by selling some residential blocks off Relph Avenue; this was unanimously agreed to by its members. There is an existing planning approval for this subdivision.

*We tendered for the work (as did others).

*We made a presentation to the Club (as did others).

*We were appointed.

*The new clubhouse will not be 'taking a huge chunk' out of the existing course; it is instead being proposed to be placed near the current 6th tee.

*There will be

minor

changes required to the course as a result of the new clubhouse location and the subdivision.

*Obviously, the routing of the golf holes will be different because there is a new starting point and to enable two returning nine’s to the new proposed clubhouse location.

James

#43 mrdenn1s

mrdenn1s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:54 AM

QUOTE: James Cashmore @ Apr 13 2007, 02:52 PM

Guys;

*The Club is looking to realize some significant revenue by selling some residential blocks off Ralph Avenue; this was unanimously agreed to by its members. There is an existing planning approval for this subdivision.

*We tendered for the work (as did others).

*We made a presentation to the Club (as did others).

*We were appointed.

*The new clubhouse will not be 'taking a huge chunk' out of the existing course; it is instead being proposed to be placed near the current 6th tee.

*There will be

minor

changes required to the course as a result of the new clubhouse location and the subdivision.

*Obviously, the routing of the golf holes will be different because there is a new starting point and to enable two returning nine’s to the new proposed clubhouse location.

James

They do read the threads!!!!

#44 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:07 AM

Thanks James Cashmore for contributing to this thread and providing further details on what is proposed.

To everyone else, get down there for a game now before it all starts to get mangled...

#45 John J Jones

John J Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2765 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 01:11 AM

James,

Can you define "minor"???

JJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users