the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE: Andrew @ Mar 24 2007, 04:01 PM

Jeffrey,

I agree with what you are saying. Bruce's work down there has shown a real care & understanding of what Portsea is & should be.

Sometimes when a relationship between an architectural firm & a club is too close (in other words, the architect is a member of the club, or something of that nature), & 'favorable financial terms' are offered, the work, although done well, is often done when the firm has time, as opposed to when the club wants it done. I know of 2 prominent Australian clubs who have reconsidered an arrangement with a resident architect because of this reason.

This may not have been the situation with Bruce, but I can think of no other reason to change.

Andrew,

The club has decided that in order to stay financially viable they need to build a multi million dollar resort/clubhouse. THey have decided to build the resort/clubhouse near the 6th tee. This will be funded by selling off the only residentially zoned land on the property generally in the area of the 1st fairway, current clubhouse, propsed par 3 between the 9th and clubhouse and practice fairway. The 9th hole might also be affected, I am not sure.

I have no idea whether the development will improve the financial position of the club or not, but I do think that 1-there is risk associated with such development, and 2-it will change the focus of the golf club, and 3-unless it provides significant money to further develop the course, the immediate effect on the golf course will be negative (signifficantly shortenned 1st hole, possible changes to 9th, possible new tee on 6 and no chance of par 3 being built between 9th hole and clubhouse).

The development was approved by a member vote.

Bruce (along with other members) voted against the development.

I don't know the specifics of the board's position but if they took Bruce's innital opposition to the proposal as as an indication that he wasn't suitable to advise on course changes as part of the development once it was voted for, then I reckon that is an undeserved slight on Bruce's professionality and dedication to the club.

#17 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7146 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:14 AM

What good is a fancy clubhouse, if you have to ruin a fantastic golf course to build it?

#18 boonie

boonie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:03 AM

History tells us that when 'minor changes' are supposedly required to a course it can set off a chain reaction of changes that continue for years and end up with a course barely recognisable from the 'original' - lets hope this is not the case here.

#19 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:17 AM

Boonie, I am sure that those in charge at Portsea have done the right thing and spoken with Kingswood, Yarra Yarra, Commonwealth, Long Island, Metropolitan and Amstel, and satisfied themselves that Cashmore Design will handle the job in a sympathetic and complimentary fashion.

#20 Upanddown23

Upanddown23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2895 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE: Jack @ Mar 24 2007, 06:17 PM

Boonie, I am sure that those in charge at Portsea have done the right thing and spoken with Kingswood, Yarra Yarra, Commonwealth, Long Island, Metropolitan and Amstel, and satisfied themselves that Cashmore Design will handle the job in a sympathetic and complimentary fashion.

You forgot RM.

#21 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7146 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:50 AM

no he didn't, RM is the only club Cashmore hasn't been given the ass from (yet) wink.gif

#22 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE: Upanddown23 @ Mar 24 2007, 07:48 PM

You forgot RM.

RM was Hawtrees fault mate..

#23 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:30 AM

All official according to The Golfer.

[attachment=4669:portsea.jpg]

#24 AndyA

AndyA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1609 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:42 AM

When they plummet from the top 100 they can't say they weren't warned.

Idiots.

#25 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7146 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 05:44 AM

Cashy own anything other than yellow cardigan?

#26 Salacious Crumb

Salacious Crumb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:09 AM

Portsea Gawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

#27 _Andrew_

_Andrew_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2337 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:19 AM

Portsea is my type of course. Apart from having many of the architectural characteristics that I love, it is just a beautiful place.

There are parts of the course where you could be a million miles from anywhere & the whole place gives you the sense that you have gone back in time 50 years.

There are not many courses like this left in Australia, & obviously not many people who value them, as I do.

My greatest hope of hopes is that this does not become an obituary.

#28 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:24 PM

This is the bit of that article that I really like:

"Club President... said Cashmore made an outstanding presentation to take the club forward...Cashmores passion and desire gave him the edge over the other tenders"

I wonder which of Cashmores past renovation work gave him "the edge" to win the tender? Kingswood? Commonwealth? Long Island? FFS. He has left a trail of destruction wherever he goes. Did Portsea do their homework?

#29 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7146 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:38 PM

The term 'due diligence' obviously doesn't apply to elected officials at golf clubs.

#30 St_Andrews

St_Andrews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3315 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE: Andrew @ Apr 11 2007, 08:19 PM

Portsea is my type of course. Apart from having many of the architectural characteristics that I love, it is just a beautiful place.

There are parts of the course where you could be a million miles from anywhere & the whole place gives you the sense that you have gone back in time 50 years.

There are not many courses like this left in Australia, & obviously not many people who value them, as I do.

My greatest hope of hopes is that this does not become an obituary.

Here Here...love the atmosphere of the place - a gem of a course

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users