51 replies to this topic

#1 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:20 PM

Being an occasional lurker here I note that there is some interest in having a look at Ellerston. I have some pics from a past visit and will try to post them here. Sorry if they don't come through in order but i'm sadly lacking in regard to technological matters.

I'll try the first couple of holes and if that works add some more later.

All the best

#2 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 03:05 AM

That wasn't too hard...here's some more. The first two were holes 1 and 2, the second a terrific par 3 around 140m.

This one is the second shot to 3 and 5 and the tee shot to the par 3 6th.

#3 scottc

scottc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 06:22 AM

Crickey, nice pictures.

How did you get to have a look around?

#4 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:56 AM

Scott,

Thats secret mens business. If I told you i'd have to kill you smile.gif

Here's some more...

Tee shot on 7, second shot on 8, tee shot on 9.

#5 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:46 AM

The bunkering looks overdone.

#6 Jarrod

Jarrod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 03:50 AM

Didn't see a divot in any of those pics. Wouldn't have minded the contract to build the paths and bridges ohmy.gif

#7 marcel

marcel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:04 AM

I recall a story that Packer insisted on one of the par 3 green sites despite being told that because of wash away from a creek that it was likely the green would have to be rebuilt every 6 years or so, guess that is the 6th.

#8 kpac

kpac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:16 AM

Tough as Norman planned Alex??
Looks great. I have a particular liking to the courses set in rough urban land and use the harsh environment backdrop AND incorp into the course. How does the course work? does anyone know. I'm sure the Packer crew organise plenty of days up there for associates. But how often is it played?? and is there ways to get games there, or invite only?

#9 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 07:45 AM

kpac,

It is invite only. We were told the course averages 4 players a day, and with 18 green staff that is a pretty decent ratio! The course is quite special, probably because it doesn't have to comply to any vested interests in its design; just a very strong, perfectly manicured layout that makes great use of the natural environment. It is quite difficult- I could imagine a 15-20 marker losing a dozen balls a round, there are no marked hazards or out of bounds. The routing is very good, it is hard to pick fault although there are a couple of design issues that you can question if you get picky ( blind tee shot on 8, trees blocking the second shot on 9. There are so many super strong holes though that the minor deficiencies tend to be overlooked. The par 3's in particular are superb. Deserves the accolades being showered on it.

Alex

#10 drew74

drew74

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2270 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 08:35 AM

thanks so much for the pics mate. I have been hanging out to see photos of this course. Please keep them coming if you have more! cheers Drew

#11 vman

vman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE: Jack @ Dec 30 2006, 03:46 PM

The bunkering looks overdone.

I agree. The hole routing looks very good but the greenside bunkers seem too large and and the green complexes look ugly. Nice pics but I am not feeling overly dissapointed knowing that I will never play there.

Mick

#12 Alex the Great

Alex the Great

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:39 PM

2nd shot on 9 (par 5), tee shot on 11(par 4), tee shot on 12 (par 3)

#13 65aust

65aust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:00 AM

Enjoying the photos, Alex. Norman/Harrison bunkering is not to everyones taste I know, personally I like it. I can assure you, Jack and Mick, that the scale of the property, scale of the holes themselves and in most cases the size of the green complexes (which are fantastic, BTW) mean that when playing it I never get the sense of being overwhelmed by the bunkering. I'm no photographer but perhaps the foreshortening has maximised the bunkers and minimised the greens here.

What is overwhelming is getting to many of the greens and becoming aware of the proximity of godawful trouble on the other side of the green away from the bunkers -2,3,4,6,7,10,13 as Alex said - no hazards. Mick, I hope you do get a chance, it's a truly awesome golf course.

#14 vman

vman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE: 65aust @ Dec 31 2006, 03:00 PM

Mick, I hope you do get a chance, it's a truly awesome golf course.

I would be more than happy to make the drive if somebody could get me an invite. wink.gif

Mick

#15 St_Andrews

St_Andrews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3315 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:23 PM

What are it's short P4's like ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users