264 replies to this topic

#1 mrdenn1s

mrdenn1s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:46 PM

Nothing much to say really...played last night after work.

Fairways holding up given thh lack of watering. 12th hole renovation coming along well. The pro is still a ****...too worried about selling than about servicing his members.

New GM from Rosanna has started and is sending email updates out to members every couple of weeks.

Can't help but feel that the front none needs more trees, and the back nine needs fairway bunkers on 10, 11, 13, 14, 15 and 18. Bunkers need more sand..like Waterford Valley...they are some nice sandy bunkers. Then course would be deemed in the next class up.

Anyone else played it lately?

No bogan jokes...we need better whit than that. Gotta say, actually haven't met one ###### head member. Wish th Pro would piss off though

#2 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:50 PM

Isn't Bob Shearer going to redo the whole course? Maybe you should drop him a line and request some more bunkers. Just like the ones he did near the 18th green.

I heard the investor (member) who funded the club house redevelopment is edgy about getting his money back? Can you confirm this?

Love, Jack.

#3 mrdenn1s

mrdenn1s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE: Jack @ Dec 13 2006, 11:50 AM

Isn't Bob Shearer going to redo the whole course? Maybe you should drop him a line and request some more bunkers. Just like the ones he did near the 18th green.

I heard the investor (member) who funded the club house redevelopment is edgy about getting his money back? Can you confirm this?

Love, Jack.

His Majesty R (Bob) Shearer Esq put togther a "master plan" for which redevelopment could be based on. However, the members only had 2 weeks to view it and i sisn't get a chance. However, I heard that most of the focus was on adding water hazards and tree planting. Not sure about the bunkering.

The guy who paid for the clubhouse is getting his money back ahead of time. Where did you hear that rumour. Club is very financial and cash flows are good.

I think they also need to kill the #$%^n ducks on the course. Sick of hittikng great approaches into greens like 2, and having to move mounds of duck $%#@. It sticks to your putter, and kills patches of the greens...HEY OLD MEMBERS AT SOUTHERN...STOP FEEDING THE DUCKS

#4 Tinsworth

Tinsworth

If it's on the internet then it must be right.....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5673 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE: mrdenn1s @ Dec 13 2006, 11:46 AM

Can't help but feel that the front none needs more trees, and the back nine needs fairway bunkers on 10, 11, 13, 14, 15 and 18. Bunkers need more sand..like Waterford Valley...they are some nice sandy bunkers. Then course would be deemed in the next class up.

Where would you suggest for bunkering on those holes.

Given the cut of 10 & 11 they don't lend themselves to fairway bunkering and hence it would appear contrived - especially given that the greens on both holes are well bunkered.

13 and 14 both carry crests and once over the crest the player is playing their approach shots into well bunkered greens. Bunkering over blind crests is a little unfair and also contrived.

15 (one of only 2 holes on the course which are not straight) has nowhere to place a fairway bunker as the inside corner is protected by trees and the outside corner is a mile out of the line of play

18 - has more than enough bunkering as it is, let alone if they go ahead with the plan to run bunkering all the way from the 12th tee to the greenside bunkers.

QUOTE: mrdenn1s @ Dec 13 2006, 11:57 AM

The guy who paid for the clubhouse is getting his money back ahead of time. Where did you hear that rumour. Club is very financial and cash flows are good.

The annual reports are very informative reading.

#5 mrdenn1s

mrdenn1s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE: Fyirippu @ Dec 13 2006, 12:04 PM

Where would you suggest for bunkering on those holes.

Given the cut of 10 & 11 they don't lend themselves to fairway bunkering and hence it would appear contrived - especially given that the greens on both holes are well bunkered.

13 and 14 both carry crests and once over the crest the player is playing their approach shots into well bunkered greens. Bunkering over blind crests is a little unfair and also contrived.

15 (one of only 2 holes on the course which are not straight) has nowhere to place a fairway bunker as the inside corner is protected by trees and the outside corner is a mile out of the line of play

18 - has more than enough bunkering as it is, let alone if they go ahead with the plan to run bunkering all the way from the 12th tee to the greenside bunkers.

10- RHS about 210m out. Will stop balls going onto 11th fairway. They need to be long and narrow type

11 - LHS at top of hill. As it is not a long par 5, may see more 3 woods and long irons off the tee

13 - probably ok as it is given the water carry also. you are right

14 - Shorten the hole by 30m. Add bunkers RHS top of hill.

15 - Bunkers on LHS corner. Encourage long hitters to fly the corner, or position play to outside of fairway

18 -12th hole bunkers are not really in play. Need to extend down the side of 18 th fairway. It is such a wide landing zone

QUOTE: Fyirippu @ Dec 13 2006, 12:04 PM

I have read the report. Nothing dramatic in there that hasn't been discussed before.

#6 beancounter

beancounter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:15 PM

So if you have to refinance the debt at today's rates, instead of the 6% paid to the member, that could add another $100,000 per annum to the interest bill.

That's another 40 new members each year if joining fees are relied upon to meet interest costs.

Hopefully, that clubhouse does not become too big of a burden.

#7 mrdenn1s

mrdenn1s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE: beancounter @ Dec 13 2006, 12:15 PM

So if you have to refinance the debt at today's rates, instead of the 6% paid to the member, that could add another $100,000 per annum to the interest bill.

That's another 40 new members each year if joining fees are relied upon to meet interest costs.

Hopefully, that clubhouse does not become too big of a burden.

Why would they need to refinance? Plenty of white knights at that club ready to fork over some dosh if needed.

What about course suggestions?

#8 beancounter

beancounter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE: mrdenn1s @ Dec 13 2006, 12:26 PM

Why would they need to refinance? Plenty of white knights at that club ready to fork over some dosh if needed.

What about course suggestions?

They would need to refinance if the guy wants his money back. Even if members fund it, it is still a refinance, but let's not get technical.

Would the new white knights be happy with a 6% return?

And, maybe you should change the topic heading from "just want to chat about my

club

" to "just want to chat about my

course

".

#9 mrdenn1s

mrdenn1s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE: beancounter @ Dec 13 2006, 12:37 PM

They would need to refinance if the guy wants his money back. Even if members fund it, it is still a refinance, but let's not get technical.

Would the new white knights be happy with a 6% return?

And, maybe you should change the topic heading from "just want to chat about my

club

" to "just want to chat about my

course

".

Let's not get pedantic...this is a nice friendly casual thread

You say course, i say club...whatever : )

#10 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3771 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:08 PM

QUOTE: mrdenn1s @ Dec 13 2006, 12:42 PM

You say course, i say club...whatever : )

They can be very different things

#11 mrdenn1s

mrdenn1s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE: Toolish @ Dec 13 2006, 01:08 PM

They can be very different things

Children...this is my thread...and i say that we can discuss the course or the club or both...up to you!

OK? Ok!

#12 N & G Ablett

N & G Ablett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:09 AM

I have a bit of a skeleton in the closet re Southern.. I was actually a member out there as a kid before moving on, and upward some would say, to VGC. In fact I actually won the B Grade Championship out there as a snoty nose kid moving down the handicap scale (not sure the older blokes were that happy seeing me in the field off 9.5 as I was heading to single figures pretty quick!)

Anyway I haven't played out there for a considerable amount of time... actually haven't played since the old <strike>dunny shed</strike>, I mean clubhouse, was knocked down and replaced with the new house on what I always knew as the practice fairway. Anyway, can someone help me line up the holes from the old configeration to the new? Otherwise I can't comment on potential changes! (And we wouldn't want that!)

#13 mrdenn1s

mrdenn1s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE: N & G Ablett @ Dec 13 2006, 02:09 PM

I have a bit of a skeleton in the closet re Southern.. I was actually a member out there as a kid before moving on, and upward some would say, to VGC. In fact I actually won the B Grade Championship out there as a snoty nose kid moving down the handicap scale (not sure the older blokes were that happy seeing me in the field off 9.5 as I was heading to single figures pretty quick!)

Anyway I haven't played out there for a considerable amount of time... actually haven't played since the old <strike>dunny shed</strike>, I mean clubhouse, was knocked down and replaced with the new house on what I always knew as the practice fairway. Anyway, can someone help me line up the holes from the old configeration to the new? Otherwise I can't comment on potential changes! (And we wouldn't want that!)

ok...go to www.southerngolfclub.com.au and check out the layout

To start you off, the old 1st par 3 is now the 16th
2nd is now 17th
3rd is now 18th

#14 Tinsworth

Tinsworth

If it's on the internet then it must be right.....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5673 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE: N & G Ablett @ Dec 13 2006, 02:09 PM

Current v Old

Current 1st -> old 4th
Current 2nd -> old 5th
Current 3rd -> old 6th
Current 4th -> old 7th
Current 5th -> old 8th
Current 6th -> old 11th
Current 7th -> old 12th
Current 8th -> old 13th
Current 9th -> old 14th
Current 10th -> old 9th
Current 11th -> old 10th
Current 12th -> old 15th
Current 13th -> old 16th
Current 14th -> old 17th
Current 15th -> old 18th
Current 16th -> old 1st
Current 17th -> old 2nd
Current 18th -> old 3rd

Don't get lost

wink.gif

#15 N & G Ablett

N & G Ablett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE: mrdenn1s @ Dec 13 2006, 11:46 AM

Nothing much to say really...played last night after work.

Fairways holding up given thh lack of watering. 12th hole renovation coming along well. The pro is still a ****...too worried about selling than about servicing his members.

New GM from Rosanna has started and is sending email updates out to members every couple of weeks.

Anyone else played it lately?

No bogan jokes...we need better whit than that. Gotta say, actually haven't met one ###### head member. Wish th Pro would piss off though

Why would you want more sand in the bunkers? There is nothing wrong with hard based bunkers that we have here in Melbourne, or different levels of sand in bunkers around the course if this occures naturally. They are hazards after all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users