#31 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 04:59 AM

Ok, about Joondalup's three nines.

Not cast in stone yet, but it is possible we may have a chance to play 18 but not 27 holes at Joondalup.

If so;

Which nine gets the chop (assuming the venue can allow the choice on the day)?

And more importantly, why?

#32 MatthewM

MatthewM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:07 AM

The best 2 nines there are the Dunes and the Quarry. Dunes will make you hit it straight, as it's pretty tight in parts, and the Quarry 9 has some unique holes, which you'll enjoy. The difference to anything else you'll see is also a good reason.

The Lake 9 is just not as interesting as the others. No great inspiration there, and the other two sites are distinctly different.

MM

#33 Veefore

Veefore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 11:19 AM

Agree with MathewM. Dune and Quarry are the pick of the three.

#34 St_Andrews

St_Andrews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3315 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:54 PM

I'm with Veefore and MM:

Dunes and Quarry

The Dunes is very tight and is played on some interesting terrain. It has some good holes including the split 3rd and long P3 4th IMO. The Quarry also has some interesting holes the shot across the quarry on the P3 3rd and double dogleg P5 4th.

As for the Lakes nine (there's not many lakes on it ?) it is on more open and uninspiring land and IMO doesn't present the challenge that the other two nine's do.

#35 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:03 PM

Thanks guys. That is the assumed hierarchy anyway, but i wanted to bounce it off others.

Also, a work related event or two in Margaret River has spelt the end of the intrepid Albany leg of the tour, so we have actually freed up a bit of time and effort. Sad really, because even though I strongly suspect Albany would do much more of a Lakes Entrance thing than try and fulfill a Port Fairy thing (and a fair way to go to do it), I haven't played it and wanted to for completeness.

#36 peanuts

peanuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5349 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:13 PM

Gee tithers, I'm sure you're really disappointed at having to spend a bit more time in the Margaret River... tongue.gif

#37 Faldos_Lovechild

Faldos_Lovechild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE: ttitheridge @ Sep 4 2006, 09:03 AM

Thanks guys. That is the assumed hierarchy anyway, but i wanted to bounce it off others.

Also, a work related event or two in Margaret River has spelled the end of the intrepid Albany leg of the tour, so we have actually freed up a bit of time and effort. Sad really, because even though I strongly suspect Albany would do much more of a Lakes Entrance thing than try and fulfill a Port Fairy thing (and a fair way to go to do it), I haven't played it and wanted to for completeness.

If you get the chance have a game at the Margaret River GC, great country track that is worth a look at.

Agree with the others on Dune/Quarry, play it from the back tees to get the best of what it offers.

#38 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE: faldos lovechild @ Sep 4 2006, 11:18 AM

If you get the chance have a game at the Margaret River GC, great country track that is worth a look at.

Rate the following;

Secret Harbour, Dunsborough Lakes, Busselton, Capel, Bunbury, Margaret River.

So far, ALL of these are on the outer if we play Araluen (likely). So a stretched extra 18 would only take in the best one of these.

#39 Faldos_Lovechild

Faldos_Lovechild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE: ttitheridge @ Sep 4 2006, 09:38 AM

Rate the following;

Secret Harbour, Dunsborough Lakes, Busselton, Capel, Bunbury, Margaret River.

So far, ALL of these are on the outer if we play Araluen (likely). So a stretched extra 18 would only take in the best one of these.

Secret Harbour - Good track that is always in good/great nick, the close proximity of the housing has taken a lot away from its character. Some strong holes, not as tight as Kennedy Bay and only five minutes away.
Dunsborough Lakes - Only played their once and didnt enjoy it. Very wet underfoot and not great conditioning.
Bussleton- Good country course, don't know what kind of nick its in since the super went to Melville Glades.
Capel - Better than Busso, the greens used to be among the best in the state, always quick and true. Havent played their since the super changed so can't guarantee the greens.
Bunbury - This is a hidden gem, and the new irrigation system installed last year should of improved it even more.
Margaret River - Another good country course, the nines differ in character with the back nine more hilly than the front. Greens are good, and like Busso/Capel and Bunbury they are in great condition when you consider that they have 3/4 groundstaff.

My preference would be Secret Harbour (design and proximity to Perth), Bunbury, Capel, Busso and Dunsborough Lakes

#40 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:12 AM

Looks like we are playing Karrinyup! A pair of acquaintances both turned out to be members. I'm pretty chuffed for the others in my group more so than myself, as none of them have ever seen it before. So it will be an appreciated notch in their politely and humbly marked lipstick case. The two vino rosso loving members will do well out of it, as my friends only got to play due to travelling with me, so they feel embarrassed enough by the offer to pull out a couple of supreme doozies from the cellar for the already shouted dinner that night. As for me, it will be the first time I've seen LK in about 15 years.

#41 westy5555

westy5555

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE: ttitheridge @ Sep 14 2006, 10:12 PM

Looks like we are playing Karrinyup! A pair of acquaintances both turned out to be members. I'm pretty chuffed for the others in my group more so than myself, as none of them have ever seen it before. So it will be an appreciated notch in their politely and humbly marked lipstick case. The two vino rosso loving members will do well out of it, as my friends only got to play due to travelling with me, so they feel embarrassed enough by the offer to pull out a couple of supreme doozies from the cellar for the already shouted dinner that night. As for me, it will be the first time I've seen LK in about 15 years.

Check your timing to ensure the front nine is back in play - it get's ripped up end of this month and they will be using the short course as the front nine until about Feb/March I think. If you arrive afterward then you will have the interesting experience of comparing the new front with the old back.

#42 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:31 AM

MUST rule out one of the following;

Meadow Springs, Joondalup, or Araluen.

The guys 'n gal are happy each way, though they note that for $100, Joondalup has a lot to live up to.

#43 Faldos_Lovechild

Faldos_Lovechild

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1563 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:51 AM

QUOTE: ttitheridge @ Oct 23 2006, 03:31 PM

The guys 'n gal are happy each way, though they note that for $100, Joondalup has a lot to live up to.

lose Araluen, play Quarry/Dunes at Joondalup and you wont be disappointed.

#44 Veefore

Veefore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE: ttitheridge @ Oct 23 2006, 03:31 PM

Definitely keep Joondalup. I would rule out meadow springs. It is a good course but I find Araluen more interesting and more of a "outing".

#45 St_Andrews

St_Andrews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3315 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:20 AM

I agree with Veefore...and whilst M Springs probably just shades Araluen in terms of overall quality the later is indeed something different and is much more visually appealing. The changes in topography are very well done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users