109 replies to this topic

#1 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:34 AM

Next year after Easter (April or early May), 3-6 of our mob are heading to WA.

The dilemnas are as follows; 4 day / 3 night trip or 6 / 5. I'd go the longer without a second thought, but it may rule out more than half the potential attendees.

We'd play one course per day, to both do it properly, and to give us the chance to take in the booze related hospitality from all the major wine regions down there as well.

Assume we need a game in Perth, as the final day is tougher on the tired mob if travel is required also, given we lose time on the bird coming back.

If 6 games in 6 days, I'm thinking Joondalup, Kennedy, Cut, Secret Harbour, Binningup and Albany. So the biggest public access losers in that may be Meadow Springs and Araluen. Everyone going has seen at least 18 holes at The Vines.

If 4 days, we lose Albany plus one other perhaps.

Is our team about right? Have we an unworthy wrongfully named?

Is Binningup worth 18 holes or just 9? I know it can be used as a 9 on the same day as another 18, but if it is worthy of 18, I'd rather go round twice and just keep it to 18 holes per day.

#2 Veefore

Veefore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:05 AM

Albany is great, but it is at least four and a half hours each way and if the weather isn't great (it always rains in Albany) it is a tough day. I couldn't imagine trying to squeeze the trip into one day. Kennedy and Joondalup are definites. I would put Joondalup last in the itinerary due to its proximity to Perth. If you were flying out on a night flight you could fit it in during the morning. If you are feeling energetic (or using carts) Secret Harbour and Kennedy Bay in the same day would be an easy task with the two courses only ten minutes apart. Unless they have significantly upgraded recently there isn't much to Kennedy Bay anyway, just a bar.
You could then spend the night in Mandurah and drive (just under an hour) down to Binningup the next morning. Personally I would rather play Bunbury or Capel. You would then head to the Margaret River region which is another hour or so south for an afternoon of inebriation. You could then drive back the next day, playing The Cut on the way back to Perth finishing up with a round at Joondalup on your last day.

#3 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:10 AM

Albany isn't as out of the way to us, because as winos, we'll be doing Mt Barker/Frankland River/Denmark anyway. So a night will be spent somewhere in the region.

Yes, the Perth course will surely be on the final day, as it is the most viable logistics option. Whereas on day one we gain daylight, making the trip south and having a hit not so bad.

I've seen Capel vaguely, but never Bunbury. I'd love more views on them versus Binningup. Binni just seems like an absolute gem.

#4 St_Andrews

St_Andrews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3315 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:17 AM

Tithers

It seems an awful long way (+ cost) to only go for 3 nights ? esp: when you plan to do extra activities besides golf. Surely you could get them to do at least 5 days of golf ?

My Itinerary would start in Perth with Joondalup (Quarry / Dunes) for the 'unique' experience and some wines in the Swan Valley afterwards.

I've got a 'soft' spot for Araluen but if your're pushed for time - you could miss it.

Kennedy Bay + The Cut on the "Golf Coast" would be two that I'd recommend but Secret Harbour is nothing speacial.

I've heard good things of Binningup but not played there.

Albany takes a bit of effort to get to but then it's a long drive back.

#5 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:40 AM

Apart from us wine touring nearer Albany, it is also a course that those who don't see it on this trip may never ever see it. I can't ever guarantee I'm going to have a slow two weeks in WA one day, so the drive has to be done some time.

#6 Veefore

Veefore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE: ttitheridge @ May 10 2006, 08:40 PM

Apart from us wine touring nearer Albany, it is also a course that those who don't see it on this trip may never ever see it. I can't ever guarantee I'm going to have a slow two weeks in WA one day, so the drive has to be done some time.

If you are going to be in that region then I would say Albany is a must. There aren't many true "historic links" courses left nowadays. Maybe start with the drive down Albany Highway through Mt Barker to Albany, visiting the wineries on the way. If you have time, play Albany that afternoon. Though it would be hard work driving all morning then walking Albany (likely cold and wet and always windy) in the afternoon. If not then play it on morning two and spend that afternoon working your way back up the coast through Denmark to Augusta and Margaret River, maybe stopping the night in Bunbury. A leisurely round at The Sanctuary, Bunbury (used to be a top 100 ranked course, not sure if it still is) or Binningup then on to Mandurah. The following morning play The Cut (Every one I know says Mandurah Country Club is a more enjoyable game but you will want to see what the hype is about for yourself) then in the afternoon Kennedy Bay. If you have one more day then finish up with Joondalup. If not, skip the Bunbury region courses and go straight through from Albany to Mandurah.

#7 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:33 PM

Albany has to be a morning game. Vino the evening before. We'd arrive later in the day and met a couple of the vignerons over dinner instead of at their cellar doors I'd say.

In terms of the logistics, travel times and the like, we are fine. Travel times and realities is not going to be a problem, as a few of us have been to the areas, and have set hospitality we can call on in places also. The deal is more about sussing out if my list of proposed courses has an obvious omission where a course I've included should be left out for.

I've heard too much about Binningup to pass it by I think.

I DEFINITELY favour the six day trip over the four, but would prefer six of us for four days over two or three of us for six days. And under no circumstances will we play more than 18 holes in one day. I hate those sorts of holidays, unless there are golf-free days also within. Because youy end up missing everything else. Considering we are padding up every day, I'm not going to scare off the less fanatical than myself.

#8 Veefore

Veefore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:44 PM

Sounds like you already have a pretty fair idea of your itinerary. In that case, I can't see any glaring omissions in your list. I only suggest Kennedy and Secret Harbour in the same day because they are 5 minutes apart and they are sort of halfway between Mandurah and Perth which means a return trip over the same ground on another day. But if you have anyone who isn't a fanatical golfer in the group then it might be a bit too much. In which case, if time is tight, you might consider dropping Secret Harbour. Funnily enough, Binningup seems to have generated a buzz on iseekgolf but nothing here. I only know of a couple of people who have played it and neither thought it was any more than a simple public nine holer, worth a visit if you are driving by but no more. I may have to get down there one day and see what all the fuss is about myself.

#9 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:55 PM

I'll pose the Kennedy/Secret day in carts, and see what the response is. Given we have to travel south through there and north later on, it may not be that hard to split them still. But point taken.

If anything with Binni, it is just because I've gotta know smile.gif MattyM, Binni or no Binni?

#10 westy5555

westy5555

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:08 PM

Depending on what you want to achieve, you might want to consider Karrinyup as an architectural exercise (assuming you are in town on a day that they will let you on). Mike Clayton has submitted his master plan and that is being considered by the comittee now to be released later this month. You could play the course with your punters with a copy of the MP in your hand and run the whole thing as a golf course design field trip.

#11 MatthewM

MatthewM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:12 PM

I'd def play Binningup TT. A cool little experience, and some really neat, simple, understated stuff. Also a point of difference to much of the other golf you'll play. I enjoyed Meadow Springs more than Secret Harbour. They're near one another. SH is easier to get onto though. The rest of your list looks about right. You've combined enough booze time with golf time. While over there, just don't ask JJ for directions as his navigational skills in that corner of the world are a little less than perfect. smile.gif I'm keen to get your opinion on The Cut. Try and play all 27 at Joondalup. And go for 6 days not 4. You're a long time dead...

MM

#12 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:21 PM

Thanks fellas.

Yan, how is LK if half the party are un-membered? I was making the assumption that a home club of sorts would be a must.

#13 HISPL

HISPL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE: ttitheridge @ May 11 2006, 08:21 AM

Thanks fellas.

Yan, how is LK if half the party are un-membered? I was making the assumption that a home club of sorts would be a must.

And blue blood, make sure you take a top hat and tails when you go to have a few drinks at the bar after the round. tongue.gif

Basically, even if you are members of another club you probably wont get past the security gates that require a passkey to open them.

The members had them put in some time ago as there were too many porsches/mercs/bimmers etc getting pinched from their parking lot.

Nice club though, I haven't played there in years but it is a lovely track.

#14 westy5555

westy5555

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE: ttitheridge @ May 11 2006, 10:21 AM

Thanks fellas.

Call and ask - normally a handicap is required for individuals, but if there is a heap of you, call and present it as a mini coporate day, so as long there are enough credentialled golfers among the mob they are normally ok. Tell them you are a bunch of golf course architecture afficionados studying for a book - I'm sure you'll think of an angle.

If that doesn't work, let me know when you are coming and I will get you over the fence as guests if I'm around, but there may be too many of you for that.

#15 Veefore

Veefore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:47 AM

I asked my Boss, who is a long term member at Karrinyup and he said your chances of getting on are pretty slim (and that is being generous). With some of your party not being members of an affiliated golf club he said it would most likely be zero for them.

Yan, you are always pushing LK whenever anyone talks about golf in WA and always saying how easy it is to get on there. Do you know something that my Boss doesn't?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users