525 replies to this topic

#31 peanuts

peanuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5349 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:51 AM

Seems we get a thread like this once a year on average. And typically someone puts up their distances proudly only to be shot down.

That tells me the forum probably has a one-year turnover on "active" posters...

#32 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7146 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 01:34 AM

Driver: 250-300
3+: 230-260
2 iron: 200-220
3 iron: 190-200
4 iron: 180-190
5 iron: 170-180
6 iron: 160-170
7 iron: 150-160
8 iron: 140-150
9 iron: 130-140
PW: 115-130
53°: 30-115
57°: Less than 30

Iron distances are if I'm that distance range from the pin, thats the club I will hit. Obviously this varies greatly depending on the shot I'm trying to play etc and conditions and pin placements!

this may have all changed though asI have recently acqured new clubs and haven't sorted yardages yet.

#33 gobligook

gobligook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE: pjl @ Jan 18 2006, 02:06 PM

standrews, i dont see you so much as attacking my post...as it is calling me a liar. which i am not.

I do appreciate a few people telling me to lay back a bit and sacrifice yards for fairway. which most members of my group each saturday tell me. but i am pretty optimistic, i dont feel i need to do that right now. i am happy being in the second cut sometimes if i can see the green, and have hit a big drive.
YES...sometimes the ball see the fairway...but not consistantly.
i have plenty of time to hit the ball like an old timer (no offence to any 'so called' old timers here) right now i can hit the ball into the trees and recover well, its practically part of my weekend.

I play at an absolute goat track called Lane Cove because it is close to my school and i am on the schools golf team. but have currently been talking to my parents about a 'real' golf course. and am almost certain that i will be joining wakehurst in the coming weeks.
because i have learnt alot of my golf at lane cove i find thing like hitting a 3wood, 5wood, 3 iron and 4 iron off the deck almost impossible. becasue it is very rare where you are required to do that at lane cove.

dana, i will say i do not hit 260 every time. but that is my set distance i set it for myself.
my 7 iron distance is 155 and whilst i hit that more consistantly, i do not always reach 155, but i sometimes hit further. thats just the game i guess,

Amen dude,

Go out and have fun. Whack the little white ball as hard and as far as you can.
As long as you are having fun doing what you are doing then do it.

You are out there to enjoy yourself, so do that. If you are out there to earn a living or make money, then do what you need to do that.

cheers

Ash

#34 Upanddown23

Upanddown23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2895 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:34 AM

I have absolutely no consistency at the moment so I won’t post average distances. I will post what I would use to expect to hit a green on a calm day on a flat hole. Note*** with the irons I am speaking in terms of carry.

Driver – Don’t have one at present, hopefully one is coming very soon.

3W – Only use off the tee. In the conditions mentioned above this will go anywhere between 270 and 230 depending on what shape (and height) I am hitting on that particular day (completely involuntary).

5W – 210 -220

4I -205
5I -195
6I -180
7I -165
8I -155
9I -145
PW -135
SW – Would only hit from inside 110, don’t trust a full swing with it.

#35 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7146 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:05 AM

metres or yards?

either way you're looong!

#36 Upanddown23

Upanddown23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2895 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:45 AM

QUOTE: Thommo @ Jan 18 2006, 05:05 PM

metres or yards?

either way you're looong!

Metres Thommo, but note the line about consistency... or lack thereof.

#37 elizabeth

elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:55 AM

PJL,

I'll join the doubters here. How are you measuring this magical 260m with the driver? I bet you are calculating the length of the hole and subtracting what you have left in after your drive - this method is bollocks (tee's move, you can cut corners, yardages are wrong etc etc). Also, I'd say you are measuiring your distance at Lane Cove in the summer on concrete fairways. Lets take a reality check and do the following.

Go to a flat practise fairway with green grass on it. Hit 30 balls, pick up the 10 best and the 10 worst, go to the centre of the remaining ten, pace back to the tee. That is your true distance off the tee, or with any club.

I'd say Willow et al would have done this process. You just can't rely on ad hoc judgements on the course.

Liz

#38 Upanddown23

Upanddown23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2895 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE: Elizabeth @ Jan 18 2006, 05:55 PM

Go to a flat practise fairway with green grass on it. Hit 30 balls, pick up the 10 best and the 10 worst, go to the centre of the remaining ten, pace back to the tee.

And try not to get hit by the other golfers' balls.

#39 Tinsworth

Tinsworth

If it's on the internet then it must be right.....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5673 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 04:03 AM

QUOTE: Elizabeth @ Jan 18 2006, 05:55 PM

Go to a flat practise fairway with green grass on it. Hit 30 balls, pick up the 10 best and the 10 worst, go to the centre of the remaining ten, pace back to the tee. That is your true distance off the tee, or with any club.

I'd say Willow et al would have done this process. You just can't rely on ad hoc judgements on the course.
Liz

That's so obvious it's no wonder that it hadn't occurred to me. I'm off to do that tonight.

huh.gif

#40 chingali

chingali

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 04:43 AM

Even better than pacing your distance back to the tee to figure out how far you hit it get one of these Measuring Wheels, it's a LOT more accurate than pacing. I bought mine about 20 years ago, it's not as fancy as this one it just makes a clicking sound every metre but so long as you can count it works with 100% accuracy.

#41 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1115 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:11 AM

If there is a single certainty in golf it is that if you start a thread about how far you hit the ball you will look like a knob. rolleyes.gif I'll cut the young bloke some slack and believe him but honestly, who cares. It's not about how far, it's how many.
Look at Jack. His handicap is 4 and his distances aren't huge (and I'm sure he would benefit from a new bag full of Tour Quality gear) but he obviously gets it around well.

#42 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:21 AM

QUOTE: Matt @ Jan 18 2006, 07:11 PM

If there is a single certainty in golf it is that if you start a thread about how far you hit the ball you will look like a knob. rolleyes.gif I'll cut the young bloke some slack and believe him but honestly, who cares. It's not about how far, it's how many.
Look at Jack. His handicap is 4 and his distances aren't huge (and I'm sure he would benefit from a new bag full of Tour Quality gear) but he obviously gets it around well.

Matt, I can hit my my 7 iron 180 metres if need be (and used to quite regularly in my youth) but thats not what my 7 iron is for. I see plenty of blokes who can smash the ball with their irons huge distances, usually into the crap on their way to another .1 . And almost without exception (Craig Scott and The Blade are the only two I can think of) they all play off handicaps which are way above what they really should be owning up to.

The hardest lesson in golf to learn is distance control. I see it all the time -150 metres from the hole, blokes will try to climb all over a 9 iron when they should be hitting a 7, and out of 10 shots about 2 go on the green the rest in the bunkers or the crap. A bit of club selection vanity goes a long way in improving your scores, provided you can keep your ego in check. After all, the game is still about getting the ball in the hole in the fewest strokes. If you are only interested in smashing it a long way, stick to the driving range.

So yes my distances quoted above are how far i

DO

hit my clubs, not how far I

CAN

hit them. Big difference.

#43 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1115 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:48 AM

Can't agree more Jack. One thing I have always found in my favour is that I have no ego when it comes to club selection. Other guys might be pulling out 9 iron on a par 3 but I'm happy with 7 iron if I'm putting for birdie.

#44 peanuts

peanuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5349 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 05:52 AM

Agree with you Matt and Jack; wish I had the control of you blokes though. If I try to slow down the swing I hit fat or left. Only way I can hit shots reasonably consistently is if I try to murder them.

But I know that's gonna have to change if I want to improve sad.gif

#45 boonie

boonie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 06:28 AM

Driver -310m
3-wood -199m
2-iron-250m
3 -201m
4 -150m
5 -200m
6 -149m
7 -148m
8 -149.5m
9 -100m
PW -99m
SW -50m
LW -49m

Most courses have 200,150,100,50m yardages, so I try and leave myself approaches from those spots - otherwise I don't know how far I have left! And sometimes I miss by a metre or two, so have tweaked my lofts to cover any slight errors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users