K K Kenny

The artist formerly known as HCWT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4528 posts
  • LocationMid north coast, NSW

Posted 14 January 2006 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE: growler @ Jan 13 2006, 10:59 PM

Always pleasant coming down from Sydney to play RM, Yarra Yarra , Commonwealth, Peninsula, Metropolitan and Victoria with business colleagues. Pity that time in office takes precedence and too little golf is played.

Find these the most enjoyable tracks.

MAC - Next time down will visit Ranfurlie to make own judgement and compare to golfing mates opinions. Post comment when the game has been played.

So much comment about the virtues of KH, however, as a Sydneysider who has resided in Melbourne for short periods from time to time, beauty is in the eye of the beholder on which course is the "best". Will leave architecture and design changes others.

At a pinch, the original course at The National would give all of those Melbourne courses a good run for its money, excellent views, good conditions and no

<u></u>

annoying planes

I agree entirely. whilst my opinon my be uneducated and crass, i enjoyed the old course at the National AND The Dunes far more than Metro, Victoria, Commonwealth and Yarra Yarra . and for about 25% to 50% of the price. You can argue the intricacies all you like, but the old school of course design is almost out the window with modern equipment, so it just boils down to enjoyment in my books.

#122 MatthewM

MatthewM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:16 PM

Absolutely fascinating discussion of Kingston Heath v Woodlands on GCA for those interested. I've always liked Woodlands, but the argument in it's favor is irresistable in this thread - Kingston Heath (Pictures). Lots of reading, but a definite for an archie buff with a spare hour on a Sunday.

MM

#123 growler

growler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:43 AM

Matthew M - thanks for alerting us to a good read. I would enjoy reading a similar comparison on this site.

It would be nice if we had as many enjoyable courses in Sydney. You guys in Melbourne are so spoilt, good golf courses, excellent maintenance. It would be wise to stop many unnecessary changes so that the golf courses are not destroyed over time.

All of the sandbelt courses are a gem to play when visiting Melbourne, however, the blind holes and similar routing of the Par 5's at KH can be a little boring. KH is a good course, like Jack said of RM, a fine members courses, the same could be said of all Melbourne sand belt courses.

Visitor green fees are about 50% lower at Woodlands than Kingston Heath. Based on my last visitor experience playing these 2 courses, KH is horrendously over-priced.

#124 mac

mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 05:21 PM

growler,

Kingston Heath is a members course with a high demand from overseas and interstate players - the market has set the price of their green-fee as it does at every course.
I imagine the theory is charge twice as much and get half as many.
Woodlands is fantastically priced but KH is not over-priced.
For expensive golf go and try Pebble Beach at about $600 .

And, it's more than a 'good course' IMO

#125 alistermackenzie

alistermackenzie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:09 PM

Gentlemen,
While Kingston Heath is a fine course, it is not the equal of Royal Melbourne.

Alister

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users