• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 RobPen

RobPen

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:22 PM

Thankyou for the kind words about our family! I remember those young days in the cadets at kyogle it was great fun.

#32 Whitednj

Whitednj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:43 PM

Rob, tell us where you are up to. It is always interesting to hear about talented young golfers who try out for bigger things.

#33 RobPen

RobPen

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:28 PM

Hi Mr Whitednj, Well after the Aussie Open things just started going down hill it was pretty hard to live in Brisbane and play golf supporting my girl and i. So i thought starting an traineeship would give me a bit of normality but i was in for a rude shock when i was only being paid $450 a week. After the first year i had seen a side of golf i didn't like, golf was what i had lived for throughout my growing up so i didn't have anything to fall back on so i decided to move Fleur and I to emerald QLD where i worked as an underground coal miner for bout two years. Then i said to myself i still haven't got anything behind me so i decided to go and work for a Surveying company and go to uni and study surveying. I now work for Rio Tinto Kestrel Mine as an Underground Surveyor. I am still studing but as soon as i finish i will be giving golf another go but i will probably go to tour school this time. Cheers Rob

#34 Whitednj

Whitednj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:04 PM

Rob Sounds like you have a solid plan. I watched the troppo tour as it recently cruised through nth qld and was amazed at how many guys were competing for such low prize money. My pro is a very good golfer and he came nowhere - he is focussed on becoming the best teaching pro in Australia - probably easier to achieve than getting a card on the US tour. Sport is cruel.

#35 RobPen

RobPen

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:00 AM

Thankyou, yeah i caught up with a few of theguys when they came through Emerald. Darren Kappusi was one of my close friends at indooroopilly and he had some drama's but we were able to fix him up and he went onto win the pro am here. The scoring was hot though i think he shot 63 or 62 and 68 for the 2 days, thats what they have to do each week to come close to the good money. It is a cruel game in that regard if they could just get the backing to get out on the bigger tours and then shoot those scores then they earn anywhere from 50000 to 600000 for one tournament. 1/2 the guys playing on the troppo tour would make some big money on the other tours.

#36 theforgottenguy

theforgottenguy

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:35 PM

Hi Guys, I'm Rob Penman, my sister told me that some people are trying to contact my brother and I.

Pretty random considering the age of last post but when you next speak to your brother say hi from a 1994 junior team collegue - Gavin Perry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users