Romper Chomper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:27 AM

QUOTE: golfer69 @ Dec 7 2005, 04:16 PM

Romper,
You would love another compiled (but not published) list recently completed.

Golf digest, wonder where BD will sit in their rankings. Interestinly The US Golf Digest had BD at number 6 in Australia... The US Golf Mag had BD at #4, and this one has BD at #5 I hope they don't make themselves look silly.

#17 CraigaW

CraigaW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:30 AM

I never pay any atention to these lists any way they are normally floored by some pros who have not played a new course in years

#18 Romper Chomper

Romper Chomper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

QUOTE: peanuts @ Dec 7 2005, 04:24 PM

I agree things are not quite right. But then if they voted for someone else's over their own that'd be equally strange.

Should have asked the archies to exclude their own courses from their voting.

Clayton is the only one who didn't do that, yes he did have BD at #2 but so did 3 or 4 other of the panelists. He didn't go silly with Ranfurlie, or Peninsula North..

#19 Uncle_Leo

Uncle_Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7928 posts

Can one of you bright sparks post the individual lists of these shonky raters please.

#20 golfer69

golfer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5258 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:35 AM

Ahh..there's nothing like a "irrelevent" ranking list to fire up debate.
You have to feel for poor old Jack..only getting a couple of token inclusions at #48 and #49.

#21 AndyA

AndyA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1609 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 04:05 AM

There are photos of all eleven panellists in the magazine. Only one is wearing a cap. Is MM being paid by Titleist?

His list is pretty good though.

#22 the_unreal_jeffrey

the_unreal_jeffrey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1928 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:18 AM

I would rank that list one of the best ranking lists I have seen. A solid Doak 8. Well done Golf Australia.

#23 St_Andrews

St_Andrews

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3315 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:18 AM

Unlike some - I like lists such as these as it gives me a guide as to the better courses for me to form my own opinions. Having played 48 of GA's Top50 on the face of it - the consolidated list seems somewhat reasonable (though like Jack I look forward to seeing individual panelist rankings).

Standout differences for mine are:
National (Ocean) & Huntingdale - they don't make my Top50 nor does Lakelands

One's that could be considered Top50 material for mine:
Capricorn (New) ? Sanctuary Cove (Pines) ? Hyatt Regency Coolum ? Macquarie Links ?...

#24 mac

mac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:14 AM

You would have to say the overall result is pretty good but some of the architects are making themselves look silly.
Kerry Packer specifically asked his course not to be ranked yet Bob Harrison put it in anyway - at #4.
Does anyone really think the Legends at Moonah is 5 places above Barnbougle Dunes? (Ross Perrett)

Bonville goes from 49 to 37.
That is unbelievable for the most over-rated course in the country - by a long way.

#25 ThanksForAllTheFish

ThanksForAllTheFish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:44 AM

There sure are a lot of good golf courses out there if Peninsula South rates #50.

How did the target of my current emphatuation (Paradise Palms) go?
Did it rate with anybody?

It certainly looks like one of the best of the "manufactured" courses to me.

#26 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7146 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:18 AM

on first glance at the Top 20 - Brooky should be rated lower and Newcastle should be rated higher.

Lakelands barely makes my Top 100.

#27 John J Jones

John J Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2765 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:35 AM

Well Bob Harrison and Ross Perrett look like dills. TP is obviously going to end up TPL - Thomson, Perrett and Labrador as Ross is obviously near blind and needs one if he rates National Ocean and any Moonah Links course higher than Barny Dunes.

I emailed the editor after the last rankings came out and suggested amongst other things that they should not allow raters to vote on any course they have worked on or have a vested interest in. The conflicts of interest in this type of thing are pretty obvious. The response I got back was that people understood the vested interests and took them into account when they looked at the final rankings. Yep - for sure.

The end list isn't too bad (Royal Sydney missing out on its God Given Spot at 10 is amazing) but it's a worry about the quality of the "industry" panel when ISG's own Tinea Tamer, the Kite Boy has one of the better lists out of the 11.

JJ

At least they got Matty's description, Golf Tragic, correct.

#28 ozero

ozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1905 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:42 AM

Dear Darius Oliver,

Do you know where Bridport is ? rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

#29 MatthewM

MatthewM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 09:42 AM

DG Stones,

I thought that Darius Oliver had seen Barny Dunes. He has been overseas for much of the last 2 years, and as such, might not have seen it after all. It might also be an error?

Darius' encyclopaedic knowledge of courses in Oz is reason enough for him to be a part of the GA panel, even if he's not seen BD.

Jack and others (who haven't seen the mag), GA has stuck with it's practice of publishing the full list of 50 for each of their raters. I'll be interested to see what more make of some individual rankings. I've not got the 50 for each rater, but have included my top 50 below.

1. Royal Melbourne (West)
2. Barnbougle Dunes
3. Kingston Heath
4. New South Wales
5. Royal Melbourne (East)
6. Royal Adelaide
7. St. Andrews Beach (Gunnamatta)
8. The National (Moonah)
9. The Cut, Port Bouvard
10. Woodlands
11 Victoria
12 Kennedy Bay
13. Newcastle
14. The National (Old)
15. Brookwater
16. Metropolitan
17. Commonwealth
18. Yarra Yarra
19. Peninsula (North)
20. Kooyonga
21. 13th Beach (Beach)
22. The Grand
23. Turtle Point Laguna Quays
24. Barwon Heads
25. The Dunes
26. Royal Canberra (1-18)
27. Joondalup (Quarry/Dunes)
28. Portsea
29. Lake Karrinyup
30. The Glades
31. Ranfurlie
32. Port Fairy
33. Huntingdale
34. The Vines (Lakes)
35. Royal Sydney
36. The Australian
37. Hyatt Regency Coolum
38. Hope Island
39. The Lakes
40. Pelican Waters
41. Lakelands
42. Horsham
43. Sanctuary Lakes
44. Terrey Hills
45. Moonah Links (Legends)
46. The Heritage
47. The Vintage
48. Moonah Links (Open)
49. Spring Valley
50. Peninsula (South)

MM

#30 ozero

ozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1905 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 10:20 AM

MatthewM - The Travelling Golfer,

If Darius Oliver hasn't seen Barny Dunes then I can appreciate him not adding it to his rankings. If there has been an error in his list then maybe Golf Australia may have to correct the situation in a forthcoming edition.

By the way, nice white cap. Now how much is Titleist paying you ?laugh.gif laugh.gif
Good contribution to the article too.

mac,

It does seem a little odd that Bob Harrison would go against the wishes of Big Kerry and name Ellerston.

Overall, the article is a good read and the main photo is of Barny Dunes. You'd have to be happy with that mac ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users