Yes I know what a Mallee tree is...I just can't spell proper wink.gif

#32 _Andrew_

_Andrew_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2337 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 11:46 PM

This looks like golf course architecture reality. No lovely sandy soil, no dunes or dune slack, no coastline or rocky cliffs, just swamp, re-claimed swamp & mud on the edge of a swamp.

It's all about learning to mould a good course out of mud.

#33 aggiii

aggiii

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 07:36 AM

I'm assuming this competition isn't designed for the average smuck like myself???

I showed my mate who is an Architect graduate and even he thinks it would take him ages to design a course with the brief handed to us... He has done some Golf Architecture work before, yet still thinks it would be a very difficult and time-consuming assignment...

I would love to hava crack at it, but i barely even know what Autocad is...

This competition not for me??

Awesome Competition none the less... Would be fantastic to see some of the entries...

Top work Bebox in gettin this done & thanx 2 Cashy for his extremely generous offer... Or is he just trying to get someone to do some of his hard work so he can put his feet up for a while ha ha...

#34 admin

admin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6360 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:13 AM

The brief is, well, brief as it is really only the outline of the project. As it says on the comp page, Tony will be available to answer any questions you have about the project. It is an awesome opportunity for any budding Golf Architect to get started.

#35 TonyCashmore

TonyCashmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 06:57 PM

Answers to some queries:

1. Candidates don't have to supply the golf course design solutions in AutoCAD - hand-drawn solutions geared to the site information is fine by us - remember that none of the great golf architects had the use of the computer!

2. There's lots of gently undulating sandy land available for a good golf course

without

using the deep-sand swamps at all - but the opportunity is there to develop golf holes examined by water carries if you wish to.

3. The brief given for the competition is far more detailed that a golf architect normally has - but send me any queries and I'll clarify whatever I can.

Hint

: Locate a good place for the clubhouse precinct

first

- Look at an earlier article I wrote for iseekgolf.com on routing the golf coourse.

Cheers
Tony

#36 Swinley

Swinley

Suspect

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 11:49 PM

Tony,

Surely you're not suggesting comprimising the golf course just to ensure the clubhouse is in a nice spot?

I'm not sure Cypress Point would be the course it is today if Mackenzie had ignored Seth Raynor's routing and positioned the clubhouse on the 16th green?

Or, even t home here in Australia if Tom Doak and Mike Clayton had positioned the Clubhouse on top of the 16th tee at Barnbougle?

Sure I agree its important but surely you would not comprimise the golf course ahead of the clubhouse unless it was the difference between getting (and not getting) the job!

#37 H S Colt

H S Colt

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 11:57 PM

Good point Swinley, but in many resort courses the course is just one factor of the entire package.

Of course, I agree with you, but I never had to deal with resort developers.

Harry

P.S. Great name, Swinley.

#38 TonyCashmore

TonyCashmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:27 AM

Hey Swinley (great name, that) and Colt – I only gave the early selection of a clubhouse site as a possible

HINT

to those who perhaps have never tackled routing a golf course. On a site like this, where there are at least a hundred good linking patterns for routing the course, a hundred good green sites, avenues to them on slow or sharper land, a hundred ridges for tees etc., – the location of the

control point

, from which presumably, 2 holes go out, not to the east, 2 holes return, not to the west, and requiring a flattish generous space for the practice fairway and large carparking, and ready access to roads and services is certainly a key question early on in the macro-design process. There is no way such a decision would

compromise

the stature of the golf course in such an abundant site for routing it. Hell! The clubhouse precinct might be out in the swamp on a man-made broad peninsula, using cut-to-fill, part of the building out over the water on piloti. Imagine residents and guests arriving there at a wharf by ferry! Think outside the square!

Cheers

Tony.

#39 smugmonster

smugmonster

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:29 AM

Which direction are the best views? Maybe not looking east (main road). Any directions particularly favoured?
Cheers

#40 TonyCashmore

TonyCashmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:59 PM

Hi Smugmonster

North East, through North with particularly wonderful views North West.

Cheers
Tony

#41 pumpychowdown

pumpychowdown

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 05:04 AM

Great competition!!! I just wish I had discovered these forums BEFORE it had finished!

Will a similar competition/s be run again in the future?

#42 golfer69

golfer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5258 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:37 AM

We're looking for a bloke that can drive CAD if anyone's interested.

#43 MatthewM

MatthewM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:44 AM

I'm in.

#44 golfer69

golfer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5258 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:47 AM

MM,

You'd just love the new RWGD trucker caps we just ordered. They'd go great with your Titleist flanno shirts and FJ Uggies.

#45 MatthewM

MatthewM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1857 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:54 AM

Now I'm definitely there!

BTW - How's the back mate?

MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users