8 replies to this topic

#1 miro67

miro67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:18 PM

An interesting thought popped into my head last night at the range. As a rule I hit with more draw (and occasionally slice) at the range than I do at the course. So my conclusion is that range balls spin more than Prov1's. Could it be due to something else like hitting off mats? Could it be the low tech dimple patterns?

Just a wednesday morning thought provoker for y'all.

#2 NaptownChief

NaptownChief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:12 PM

Probably has to do with the gross overswinging many of us do at the range trying to hit bombs without fear of penalty strokes. biggrin.gif

My guess is they might since they are a cheap ball designed for restricted flight but honestly don't know.

Being that top quality balls have low spin off driver and high spin off wedges then maybe the opposite is true...Range balls with high spin off driver and low of wedges. biggrin.gif

#3 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:34 PM

Range balls spinning more than Pro V1's? What have you been smoking Miro67?

#4 NaptownChief

NaptownChief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE: chevychase @ Mar 2 2005, 09:34 AM

Range balls spinning more than Pro V1's? What have you been smoking Miro67?

Off a wedge it would certainly be a silly question but off a driver it may not be so far fetched.

#5 Golf-Guru

Golf-Guru

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10674 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:51 PM

Range balls come in all shapes and sizes compression wise. But the main diff between course balls and the range ball is the outter cover which has to live through a few months of being mangled by clubs, tractors and ball washers.

#6 Veefore

Veefore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 01:55 AM

Just to add to what iseekgolfguru said, many ranges use a lighter ball that doesn't go as far as a normal ball because it is lighter. These balls will curve more in even the slightest breeze and will also curve more through the air for the same amount of spin.

#7 fmg

fmg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE: NaptownChief @ Mar 2 2005, 10:12 AM

Probably has to do with the gross overswinging many of us do at the range trying to hit bombs without fear of penalty strokes.  biggrin.gif

that can't be true...

...now, how far is it to the back wall again?

dry.gif biggrin.gif

my course uses bulk range balls with the twin "skunk" stripe (i think they are labelled wilson). these balls don't spin anywhere near as much as a tour-type ball and I don't think they spin any more than any cheap durability/distance ball. however, I *do* find they are pretty poor at holding their line against the wind. they drift and die a lot more.

#8 miro67

miro67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:09 AM

So to date we have the following answers to my question:

Yes
No
Maybe

Thats roughly what I thought would happen.

I think the balls I am talking about are the same as FMG's -the yellow striped wilson thingies. Same weight as proper balls but definitely moves more in the air in my opinion. You know, I think it is the dimple pattern. Any other thoughts?

#9 Veefore

Veefore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1516 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:57 AM

QUOTE: miro67 @ Mar 2 2005, 01:09 PM

I think the balls I am talking about are the same as FMG's -the yellow striped wilson thingies. Same weight as proper balls but definitely moves more in the air in my opinion. You know, I think it is the dimple pattern. Any other thoughts?

Most of the "range-specific" balls, like those with the stripes, don't weigh the same as normal balls, they actually weigh a bit less. They also only generally go about 80% of the distance of a normal ball. If you want to do a comparison, hit a couple of mid-iron shots with range balls, then hit a couple of regular golf balls and see if they go the same distance. If they do, then I have no idea whatsoever. smile.gif If they do come up significantly shorter ( not just a little bit) they may be lighter or, off the top of my head, they may possibly have deeper dimples to help them survive the driving range longer. unsure.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users