Photo

Doak's Confidential Guide (to Aussie courses)

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#76 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14589 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:00 PM

Jon

Are you suggesting he hasn't seen Ranfurlie?

It must have been on a good day

18.4 by the end of. 2018  - 4.7 to go

2018 Gardiners Run Senior Matchplay Champion

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#77 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:55 PM

Maybe he can see past the weather.

#78 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2515 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:03 PM

Jon

Are you suggesting he hasn't seen Ranfurlie?

Not sure if he's been to Ranfurlie, I was referring to Lake Karrinyup in WA that he quoted as saying,

" that he was so glad that he didn't travel across the continent to have a look at it " !

Jon...

#79 macc

macc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:41 PM

Jon

'With Ranfurlie struggling to survive after only a decade or so after being built, it is interesting that Doak gave it a 5 and not the 3 that it really should have been given on the world scale.'

He has played Ranfurlie and here's why he gave it a 5.

I've played the course, and it's very good. 

It's not in the same category as Barnbougle or St. Andrews Beach because Michael & co. did not have the same sort of terrain to work with ... except for a few large trees which they used strategically, the site is very open and windswept, and the contours are very broad.  I would venture to say it is not the sort of property which any young designer would want to stake his reputation upon.

Considering that, it is really a remarkably good course.  The greens and bunker construction is very well done, and in many cases insists that you play the approach from one side of the fairway over the other.  I really like how they ramped the greens up from the front to allow a running approach. 

Of Karrinyup he said in 1993 'Boy, I'm glad I didn't fly all the way across the country in 1988 to see this one.'

He went there in 1993 and included Joondalup as well.

I guess it shows if you are going to quote people you need to quote them accurately.

In fairness you were probably quoting Jack - who got it wrong.

Edited by macc, 11 March 2018 - 08:46 PM.

#80 ParkRoyal

ParkRoyal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 10:14 AM

Have you had a look at the redevelopment of Peninsula? Its insane
OCCM

I said some!

*referring to the likes of TWP, PCD, Marsh..

• macc likes this

#81 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:29 PM

1993 was still pretty much the back end of the dark ages.  Restorations of our top courses mostly happened after that.

Karrinyup for one would certainly would be all but unrecognisable as it had drifted so far from its original intent and then butchered by TWP.

#82 Liberton

Liberton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 11:38 AM

Jon

'With Ranfurlie struggling to survive after only a decade or so after being built, it is interesting that Doak gave it a 5 and not the 3 that it really should have been given on the world scale.'

He has played Ranfurlie and here's why he gave it a 5.

I've played the course, and it's very good. 

It's not in the same category as Barnbougle or St. Andrews Beach because Michael & co. did not have the same sort of terrain to work with ... except for a few large trees which they used strategically, the site is very open and windswept, and the contours are very broad.  I would venture to say it is not the sort of property which any young designer would want to stake his reputation upon.

Considering that, it is really a remarkably good course.  The greens and bunker construction is very well done, and in many cases insists that you play the approach from one side of the fairway over the other.  I really like how they ramped the greens up from the front to allow a running approach. 

Of Karrinyup he said in 1993 'Boy, I'm glad I didn't fly all the way across the country in 1988 to see this one.'

He went there in 1993 and included Joondalup as well.

I guess it shows if you are going to quote people you need to quote them accurately.

In fairness you were probably quoting Jack - who got it wrong.

Sorry if this is answered somewhere else, but how is Ranfurlie struggling to survive? their new driving range is great, and the course (played it 3 weeks ago) was in excellent condition.

#83 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2515 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:12 PM

Sorry if this is answered somewhere else, but how is Ranfurlie struggling to survive? their new driving range is great, and the course (played it 3 weeks ago) was in excellent condition.

Not sure about their current member numbers but it's waning.

They've already had discussions with council and government about relocating under the Urban development plan.

Jon... 

#84 Liberton

Liberton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 12:50 PM

Not sure about their current member numbers but it's waning.

They've already had discussions with council and government about relocating under the Urban development plan.

Jon... 

Cheers for the response.

I know years ago they were close to joining with Settlers Run but that didnt happen.

#85 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2515 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:56 PM

Cheers for the response.
I know years ago they were close to joining with Settlers Run but that didnt happen.

Seems they just got $20mil in their bank account for the final payment from the old Amstel estate !
Jon...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users